Another "not-smart" person

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Glock513

Another "not-smart" person

Post by Glock513 »

Hello, all. I swear these guys who decide to open carry long guns are like a cancer for gun rights! :x . It's hard enough to talk sensibly with an anti-gun person, explaining why we carry handguns for protection, then a over-zealous dude walks into McDonalds wearing body armor, and a Remington 870 on his shoulder in a sling, Glock 21 on his hip, just to order a coffee and a McMuffin, what the H*** is wrong with people, :lol:. I swear I think these guys are being paid by Bloomberg and friends to kill the 2nd amendment. I have no problem with OCing handguns, but is this really necessary???!

As "sensible" gun owners, we need to stand up against these secret-bloomberg supporters carrying long guns just because I need a 30rd mag to order a coffee. If not, this cancer is going to spread and hurt every's 2nd amendment right. :idea:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... /13297867/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."
Glock513

Re: Another "not-smart" person

Post by Glock513 »

Glad we do not have this problem in Ohio. But, this gives ammo to Congress, the House, and the president, as well local government to get the urge to pass anti-gun laws.
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Glock513 wrote:Glad we do not have this problem in Ohio. But, this gives ammo to Congress, the House, and the president, as well local government to get the urge to pass anti-gun laws.
A shame that more states don't have something like ORC 9.68, isn't it? Even if it remains "unknown" to some rather hardheaded LEO's across the Buckeye State.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

It ain't brain surgery. :wink:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

I can't help but think that some of these are left wing plants...But I am sure there are some stupid conservatives too that can't get the difference between public and private property through their dense cranium.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Bama.45 wrote:I can't help but think that some of these are left wing plants...But I am sure there are some stupid conservatives too that can't get the difference between public and private property through their dense cranium.
I feel the same way. It doesn't cost them anything ( I'm sure they can source any needed display firearms) and it can be done anonymously. For some extra media bonus points, they can imply that they are somehow connected to some legitimate gun-rights group. Whenever possible, these shills need to be exposed for who they really are and whose interests they really represent.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
soberbiker

Post by soberbiker »

There are radicals in every group of people. While it may be some left wing conspiracy we need to remember to stick together as best we can on gun rights. If the open carry and concealed carry support splits into two groups, and say the long gun versus handgun groups split, and then the hunters and the target shooters split into two groups. It could end badly for all.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

soberbiker wrote:There are radicals in every group of people. While it may be some left wing conspiracy we need to remember to stick together as best we can on gun rights. If the open carry and concealed carry support splits into two groups, and say the long gun versus handgun groups split, and then the hunters and the target shooters split into two groups. It could end badly for all.

I agree, BUT when you have spoken to those kind of people that doesn't care about our rights as a whole, but want to do what they want..You have to distance yourself from those kinds of folks.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Bama.45 wrote:I can't help but think that some of these are left wing plants...But I am sure there are some stupid conservatives too that can't get the difference between public and private property through their dense cranium.
No Left Wing conspiracy. It's just attention-seekers who have heard others talk about the about the benefits of open carry demonstrations, and they want to take it one step further. After all, if he walks into McDonald's with a holstered handgun and nobody notices, it would be terribly disappointing.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

soberbiker wrote:There are radicals in every group of people. While it may be some left wing conspiracy we need to remember to stick together as best we can on gun rights. If the open carry and concealed carry support splits into two groups, and say the long gun versus handgun groups split, and then the hunters and the target shooters split into two groups. It could end badly for all.
Sometimes "stick together" means discipline within the ranks. You can't stop the "lone wolf" type from doing something stupid. What you can do is neither encourage nor condone their actions. Most of these guys are doing this primarily to get an "attaboy" in the gun forums and on Facebook. When the positive reinforcement ceases, so will their motivation for doing such things.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

It's the RINOs I tell ya'.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I'm more interested in the details of the "pointing".

His muzzle swept a woman and her child while he was taking the rifle off his shoulder.

Hmm.
MyWifeSaidYes
xpd54

Post by xpd54 »

Brian D. wrote:Even if it remains "unknown" to some rather hardheaded LEO's across the Buckeye State.
It's not just LEOs.

I had to educate a couple of guys in my squad at a match the other day. I tried to stay out of their ignorant conversations, I really tried. I was successful in staying out of their "why do the police need MRAPs" conversation. But when I heard them talk about required notification when not carrying and how local government could still use their own open carry laws, my mouth engaged before my brain could stop it. Ignorance abounds on both sides.
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

xpd54 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Even if it remains "unknown" to some rather hardheaded LEO's across the Buckeye State.
It's not just LEOs.

I had to educate a couple of guys in my squad at a match the other day. I tried to stay out of their ignorant conversations, I really tried. I was successful in staying out of their "why do the police need MRAPs" conversation. But when I heard them talk about required notification when not carrying and how local government could still use their own open carry laws, my mouth engaged before my brain could stop it. Ignorance abounds on both sides.
Yes, all too often on here we get accounts of CHL instructors who do not impart accurate information about the laws in Ohio. In some cases it's info that's "only" out of date by a couple of years. In other instances they are incorrect regarding aspects that have been in place since 2004 when licenses were first issued.

Never tried to count how many of the instructors were LEO's versus not. Kind of seems about the same number of each.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Last Saturday, I corrected an instructor about no longer needing to have a "range re-certification" in order to renew your CHL. Her misinformation came from an out-of-date Concealed Carry Laws manual (current revision is 4/17/14).

But this same instructor knew that a Sheriff's office was giving her wrong info regarding an initial training certification only being valid for 2 years (it's good for 3 years).

At this class, the husband of a student mentioned that this same Sheriff's office said he would have to re-take his CHL training class because his license was expired more than 30 days (which is no longer true).

I dropped off a nice letter for the Sheriff this afternoon.
MyWifeSaidYes