Miamisburg PD

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ray

Miamisburg PD

Post by Ray »

My wife's friend came today for a visit with her husband. He (friends husband) brought up the he didn't know that there was OC in Ohio. And that if you had a CHL you couldn't OC that you had to CC. This was told to them by a Miamisburg LEO. Also if your seen in Miamisburg walking down the street that the PD can & will stop you just because you OC'ing. I told them that the PD can't do that without RAS. They said "Oh, yes they can" cause a friend that is a State CHL instructor & LEO said they could.

Has anyone had this problem in Miamisburg, Ohio?? His wife said she would send me the ORC as to these facts. I replied OK send it me me.............. Now I know there is smarter people on here than I so please set me st8.............

Thanks
Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Miamisburg PD

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Ray wrote:My wife's friend came today for a visit with her husband. He (friends husband) brought up the he didn't know that there was OC in Ohio.
So far he doesn't sound well informed.
Ray wrote:And that if you had a CHL you couldn't OC that you had to CC.
Wrong.
Ray wrote:His wife said she would send me the ORC as to these facts. I replied OK send it me me.
I predict you're going to be waiting a while. In the meantime send them this link from the Cincinnati PD's website snd suggest they read it, esp. the last sentence of the first paragraph on p.3

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/lin ... howMeta/0/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ray

Post by Ray »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Ray wrote:My wife's friend came today for a visit with her husband. He (friends husband) brought up the he didn't know that there was OC in Ohio.
So far he doesn't sound well informed.
Ray wrote:And that if you had a CHL you couldn't OC that you had to CC.
Wrong.
Ray wrote:His wife said she would send me the ORC as to these facts. I replied OK send it me me.
I predict you're going to be waiting a while. In the meantime send them this link from the Cincinnati PD's website snd suggest they read it, esp. the last sentence of the first paragraph on p.3

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/lin ... howMeta/0/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would but they're Dems & libs. They would read it or agree with it so it would be a waste of time. Esp. mine........ He also think know everything about everything...................

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Ray wrote:I told them that the PD can't do that without RAS.
Can they? Sure, of course they can. They're the police; they have badges, guns, dogs, and backup. They can do pretty much anything they want.

Will it stick? No, of course not--the ORC preempts local laws-- but they can ruin your day...

According to the old LEO saying: "You might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride".
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Ray

Post by Ray »

TunnelRat wrote:
Ray wrote:I told them that the PD can't do that without RAS.
Can they? Sure, of course they can. They're the police; they have badges, guns, dogs, and backup. They can do pretty much anything they want.

Will it stick? No, of course not--the ORC preempts local laws-- but they can ruin your day...

According to the old LEO saying: "You might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride".
I tried to tell them this, however they want no part of the true................ On the ORC, they say that it's doesn't preempts local law, I told him, he was full of crap............ His wife said "Lets go" and they left.............. Just can't talk to Libs about real laws like the ORC..........

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
Ray

Post by Ray »

What really tic's me off, this guy has a CHL and did carry............. Then he makes this comment that if he seen a OC in a store he would call the cops. This pi**ed me real good. He then said if you have a CHL, then your not aloud to OC, that you have to keep it concealed, cause that what your licenses say. He then tells me that State Instructor is the one that told him this important info. I said don't you do any research on your own, he replied "why would he lie about such things", I told him cause the state instructor is stupid.

Which now I have another question for you smart guys............ When did the State start certifying CCW instructors???

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The state certifies OPOTA firearms instructors.

The NRA certifies NRA Basic Pistol instructors.

Both can teach CHL classes.
MyWifeSaidYes
Ray

Post by Ray »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:The state certifies OPOTA firearms instructors.

The NRA certifies NRA Basic Pistol instructors.

Both can teach CHL classes.
Thanks MWSY........ I didn't know that............ I like it when I can learn something, unlike my wife's friend.

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

If they want to "know the code", it is R.C. 2923.125.

A key requirement of a training course is that, "...It utilized qualified instructors who were certified by the national rifle association, the executive director of the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.75 or 109.78 of the Revised Code, or a governmental official or entity of another state."
MyWifeSaidYes
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Ray wrote:My wife's friend came today for a visit with her husband. He (friends husband) brought up the he didn't know that there was OC in Ohio. And that if you had a CHL you couldn't OC that you had to CC. This was told to them by a Miamisburg LEO. Also if your seen in Miamisburg walking down the street that the PD can & will stop you just because you OC'ing. I told them that the PD can't do that without RAS. They said "Oh, yes they can" cause a friend that is a State CHL instructor & LEO said they could.

Has anyone had this problem in Miamisburg, Ohio?? His wife said she would send me the ORC as to these facts. I replied OK send it me me.............. Now I know there is smarter people on here than I so please set me st8.............

Thanks
Ray
If you think that a Miamisburg officer could have said such a thing, and even if you don't, if you want to make sure they know the law, do a records request.

Include the Cincinnati and Cleveland memos and ask what Miamisburg's training is in such matters.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor