open carry in auglaize county

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SlickWhenWet

open carry in auglaize county

Post by SlickWhenWet »

I've never felt the need to open carry but I've been thinking about it recently. The area I would be in is the wapakoneta area, personally I've never seen anyone carry openly around here. My question is, does anyone have experience around here with Leo or how others respond? Another off topic question is about the holster, would a iwb holster with the shirt tucked around the gun be sufficient?
BB62

Re: open carry in auglaize county

Post by BB62 »

SlickWhenWet wrote:I've never felt the need to open carry but I've been thinking about it recently. The area I would be in is the wapakoneta area, personally I've never seen anyone carry openly around here. My question is, does anyone have experience around here with Leo or how others respond? Another off topic question is about the holster, would a iwb holster with the shirt tucked around the gun be sufficient?
I just have to ask... why is it that you feel the "need" to open carry now?
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

There is always a possibility that you will be stopped by LE, or harassed......learn the laws first then do what you feel is confrontable. If your going to OC, why the ISW holster ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

SlickWhenWet wrote:I've never felt the need to open carry but I've been thinking about it recently. The area I would be in is the wapakoneta area, personally I've never seen anyone carry openly around here. My question is, does anyone have experience around here with Leo or how others respond? Another off topic question is about the holster, would a iwb holster with the shirt tucked around the gun be sufficient?
We assume you have your CHL? Then why tuck the shirt as you say? That means you are going out of your way to make the gun visible!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

:shock: Three years ago when I was in Wapakoneta, I OC'd when I was out of my vehicle, which wasn't much as I was driving around trying to pay a tax bill. :shock:
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
SlickWhenWet

Post by SlickWhenWet »

To answer a few questions, a reason I wanted to try to start open carrying because concealment in summer is extremely difficult. I'm 5'10 and weigh around 125lb wet, so with the the extra layers off I'm not hiding much. The holster I'm using is a foxx iwb hybrid, but I'm looking for a own with proper retention.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

While I would recommend an OWB holster, I know of many folks (several on this forum) that carry as you describe.

If a person can see you have a firearm by 'normal observation', you are open carrying, whether it's IWB or OWB.

If you run into a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) that thinks you are trying to conceal, having a CHL should keep you from being arrested.

That is, of course, just my opinion. I'm not a lawyer.
MyWifeSaidYes
JMO

Post by JMO »

Hi Slick!!

I live in Wapak, too. I'll add that I don't see people OC'ing too often either, but I work at a restaurant where there are people that come in every now and again openly carrying. Whether they're from around here or not I don't know, but the last guy I struck up a conversation with and we had a beneficial conversation about his holster in which he referred me to where he got his. I ended up getting one through the same shop, nice place!

I've OC'ed once or twice in the area. I don't do it often & prefer concealing it. I've never been approached though or given any grief, & I only did it once I felt I knew enough about the laws to be comfortable with the possibility of any negative LEO encounters. I've only ever had to notify once while in town, and it was with a Highway patrol who nabbed me as I crossed the overpass coming from the Auglaize Fish & Game.
SlickWhenWet

Post by SlickWhenWet »

JMO wrote:Hi Slick!!

I live in Wapak, too. I'll add that I don't see people OC'ing too often either, but I work at a restaurant where there are people that come in every now and again openly carrying. Whether they're from around here or not I don't know, but the last guy I struck up a conversation with and we had a beneficial conversation about his holster in which he referred me to where he got his. I ended up getting one through the same shop, nice place!

I've OC'ed once or twice in the area. I don't do it often & prefer concealing it. I've never been approached though or given any grief, & I only did it once I felt I knew enough about the laws to be comfortable with the possibility of any negative LEO encounters. I've only ever had to notify once while in town, and it was with a Highway patrol who nabbed me as I crossed the overpass coming from the Auglaize Fish & Game.
I've been doing it off and on for a week or so, I've had no problems so far. I'm also a member of the fish and game, nice place to fish.