Open Carry demonstration in Cleveland July 13th

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Open Carry demonstration in Cleveland July 13th

Post by Javelin Man »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Every member of the open carry group voluntarily complied with the request from the Cleveland Police Department to stay on one side of Public Square, away from the anti-gun demonstrators.

However, when that same request was made of the anti-gun demonstrators, including those from Moms Demand some Action, it was largely ignored and required the police officers to ACTIVELY BLOCK the anti-gun counter-protestors who were seeking confrontation.

From one of the Ohio Carry organizers:
Right from the start the police asked us if we would stay on one side and they stay on the other. This was a friendly request that we happily respected. Unfortunately the other side disregarded what the police said, came down by us holding signs in our face. The police had to use their bicycles to block off the sidewalk to keep them from coming down. They played very little music, which I was really looking forward to hearing. Some of the Moms Demand Action ladies seemed to take over the show and only wanted confrontations between us.
How many Moms were there compared to the Ohio Carry folk?
Last edited by Javelin Man on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
NEO Carry

Post by NEO Carry »

There were 55-60 with Ohio Carry, and 24 anti gun protestors.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I counted 24 musicians, including children, and there was about five Mad Mothers, two women and three men
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

100% true. We stayed on our corner, they moved over to us to try and create a situation.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Shaolin_dragon

Post by Shaolin_dragon »

This is 19 Action News coverage of the event..

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/26006 ... -cleveland

Vid in the link has been updated to show the folks at the rally.

It was mighty nice of them to link to Ohio Carrys page... :D
I carry, because I care!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

well this is sort of an odd quote from someone on the pro firearms side. sounds like a jab at concealed carry.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news ... h-guns-out" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brett Pucillo, president of Ohio Carry.
“It’s the people who want to hide their guns is who I would be most fearful of,” Pucillo said
That quote could have been taken completely out of context, but misrepresentation is what the MSM does as a rule. Must watch everything one says to them.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
NEO Carry

Post by NEO Carry »

Yes, it was taken completely out of context. In the rest of that interview question I spoke about how criminals always concealed their firearms so as not to draw attention to themselves. I said that I personally felt more comfortable walking into a place and knowing who had a firearm right off than trying to guess if someone was hiding a firearm in their pants.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

At one employer, I spent many years dealing with the media. I learned a great deal about how they operate, and how they stress their memes.

I respectfully suggest one word when dealing with the media: don't.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

NEO Carry wrote:Yes, it was taken completely out of context. In the rest of that interview question I spoke about how criminals always concealed their firearms so as not to draw attention to themselves. I said that I personally felt more comfortable walking into a place and knowing who had a firearm right off than trying to guess if someone was hiding a firearm in their pants.
Figured it was something like that.. I wonder if someday they will get back to reporting the news rather than trying to present things with a certain bent, no matter what it takes.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Bersa45

Post by Bersa45 »

I can't believe I missed the guns and karaoke outing. :?
OFCC member

3 seconds

Restraint when needed and action when required.

"Retreat? Hell, we're attacking in a different direction!" Major General O.P. Smith, November 1950.

Before a government can become a full-blown tyranny, the government must first disarm its citizens. The Founders of this nation, from their own experience, knew that when government goes bad, liberty evaporates and people die ... unless the people are armed. JPFO
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Just read Christopher Evan's Plain Dealer column "Carrying a gun or carrying a tune, two sides sound off on bearing arms".
Beautiful outcome, you guys converted 'em. A job WELL DONE !
I hereby nominate CHUCK LaROSA for Honorary Legislative Coordinator for OFCC.
Do I hear a second ?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Do you have a link to that?
All I could find was an article titled: "Pistols, politics and peaceniks in Public Square: Christopher Evans",
and it didn't mention my name: http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index. ... cart_river" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Don't tell anybody, but I already am Legislative Coordinator. I use the Patron Member badge to encourage others to join)

Thank you!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

I don't have an electronic link, I read it in the Wednesday, July 16, 2014 Page two of the Forum Section in the
Plain Dealer newspaper. They show a 3" x 3" picture of you along with your title.
I can send it to you by snailmail if you wish.
(What's all this secrecy about anyway ?)
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I don't know what secrecy you are referring to
As a general rule, I don't have secrets
Please feel free to ask me anything,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Game over.