Open Carry 1911

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pistolepete

Open Carry 1911

Post by pistolepete »

I was working in uniform on the 4th of july.Large crowd buying fireworks. A Guy was livid that I was carring a 1911 cocked and locked. He wrote down my company name annd kept insisting I was carring in an unsafe manner.(phase 2 retention holster on duty belt),He kept saying OW POT A. IT took me a while I had never heard that acronym for OPOTA.Claimed he was a range officer in the Military.Wait till he trys to report me.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Re: Open Carry 1911

Post by color of law »

pistolepete wrote:I was working in uniform on the 4th of july.Large crowd buying fireworks. A Guy was livid that I was carring a 1911 cocked and locked. He wrote down my company name annd kept insisting I was carring in an unsafe manner.(phase 2 retention holster on duty belt),He kept saying OW POT A. IT took me a while I had never heard that acronym for OPOTA.Claimed he was a range officer in the Military.Wait till he trys to report me.
What county and what company? I presume you work for a security company, correct?
pistolepete

Post by pistolepete »

Yes,but I do not want to divulge specific names or locations.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

We'll if he knew anything about firearms, he would know that the 1911 was designed to be carried cocked and locked. And that is the safest way to carry a 1911.... It's how I have always carried mine.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
BobK

Post by BobK »

Wonder if he outranks Col. Cooper in his own mind . . .

Maybe he has developed his own 17 basic rules of gun safety. :roll:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

pistolepete wrote:I was working in uniform on the 4th of july.Large crowd buying fireworks. A Guy was livid that I was carring a 1911 cocked and locked. He wrote down my company name annd kept insisting I was carring in an unsafe manner.(phase 2 retention holster on duty belt),He kept saying OW POT A. IT took me a while I had never heard that acronym for OPOTA.Claimed he was a range officer in the Military.Wait till he trys to report me.
Pete:

I did OPOTA in 1967-1968. Maybe the second or third such class in this area, right after the State decided that it was necessary. (Private Security.) At the time, it was the same class for "regular" Officers and us rentals. (That has since changed.)

We always called it "OH POT A", but I don't remember even using that term at the time. Lots of guys use "POST" - I forget what the acronym means, other than the "PO" part meaning "Police Officer"....

Sounds like the guy has no idea what "Condition One" is for.... A "range officer" for the last few years might refer to Beretta experience, which is a little bit different.

The real issue is whether your company knows about the 1911. Para's LDA line was largely created to keep Chairborne Rangers happy about 1911's - Condition One is about the only way you can carry one with a round in the chamber, and the hammer is always down. If you know the LDA, you can see whether it's cocked or not, but the average person - including many gun owners - won't notice.

Please let us know if this continues.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

pistolepete wrote:Claimed he was a range officer in the Military.
Probably all sorts of firearms the guy knew little to nothing about then. My dad did some of that while in the Army circa early 1950's. He knew his way around anything that got issued and the soldiers had to go qualify with, but that was the extent of his knowledge, pretty much. Wasn't until his kids got some interest in shooting several years hence that he refreshed and improved his firearms acumen.

A range officer who works shooting competitions in the civilian would be a different matter. As a group most of us are pretty versed on all the types of firearms we may see used in the matches. But if someone showed up at the IDPA match with a Webley-Fosberry semiautomatic revolver, I would be out of my depth helping the owner clear a malfunction or whatever.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Brian:

Actually, that Webley's pretty simple. But NEVER take the sear assembly out of a P3-AT....

(It's actually pretty simple, too, but about as non-intuitive as I've ever seen in any mechanical device except for a Para LDA :D....)

(The Para's not too terrible, either, but when one of the "assemble it like this" pics has a critical part shown backwards.... :mrgreen:)

Dad learned how to handle about anything that one Soldier could carry before WWII (probably never saw a Garand, though). But he wasn't quite up to changing light bulbs. Fortunately, I was.

I had an uncle who was an instructor. He hated guns.... Another uncle was in charge of a warehouse full of captured German and Italian guns. Instead of shipping a few Lugers home (which, by now, would have put his six kids through college), he just turned over his keys to the next guy when it was time to go home.... A couple fries short of a Happy Meal....

Both of these guys (and, come to think of it, their older brother and my mom) are deceased. Mom wanted to shoot with me, but was too frail to handle the stairs down to the range. The "hated guns" guy was friends with a local Neurosurgeon who gave him a bunch of deactivated guns for his kids to play with. We found 'em in the closet :D....

Best joke, though, is my little sister. Obama-voter.... She was dating a guy who was part of some kind of sporting goods store, and he gave her (or tried to) some Airsoft guns....

Back to topic - a 1911 in other than Condition One is just an expensive club.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

I was in a training session a few years back. The range officer told everyone that they had to fire the first round double action. I was firing a 1911. One guy raised a holy stink about me not firing the first round double action and nothing anyone said could convince him that I wasn't cheating. Guess I was by using a superior firearm.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

oh-pote'-ah OH POTE A

oh-paht'-ah OH PAT A

oh-pott'-ah OH POT A

Let's call the whole thing off.
MyWifeSaidYes
pistolepete

Post by pistolepete »

PS He was also concerned that I was carrying to many extra mags (2 In a mag pouch on belt).
BobK

Post by BobK »

pistolepete wrote:PS He was also concerned that I was carrying to many extra mags (2 In a mag pouch on belt).
Sounds like he would also like all firearm ownership limited to the elite few . . . like himself.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?