Open Carry

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Open Carry

Post by charliej47 »

:shock: I have open carried for a long time. I got my CHL in 08 as I got older and could no longer defend myself with reasonable certainty and so I could carry in my vehicle. :shock:

I OC in the Middletown/Franklin area for the most part. When I am in Dayton, I tend to conceal as I don't want to cause panic/unease for some people.

I've been hassled in Middletown, Franklin, Dayton and Cincinnati when I OC. I've never been cuffed & stuffed as I try to act in a reasonable manner. I OC wearing cut-offs to dress clothes depending on what I'm doing.

I've had run ins with LEOs that thought I was wrong for having a weapon to those that thought it was a good idea.

I've only had one LEO place his hand on his weapon after he spotted me and demanded my ID. After we had a short discussion, he called in and got verification that I did not have to produce any ID which surprised him and me. Him because he thought having a weapon required having an ID to me being surprised that he accepted the verification and didn't give me any more hassle.

I was accosted/assaulted on the streets of Dayton in 06, 08 and 10. Every time I was coming from work going to my vehicle and was unarmed. In 11 I had just holstered my weapon and still had my hand on it when a street person came running at me demanding that I give him money or else. When he saw what I had my hand on, he turned and ran away. I talked to the police about the incident and they told me that unless I could give them a good description, they would probably not be able to find the street person. I called them just because I was carrying and did not want to get a GWAG call against me.

I have found that OC or concealed, the best policy is to be aware of your surroundings and be ready to act as required.

It is very seldom that adults are aware that I am around OC'ing. Most of the time, it is the kids that see and recognize that I am armed. For the most part, it is only the very young ones who will say anything. :roll:
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Open Carry

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Keep doing what you're doing!

Happy Independence Day!

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

charliej47 wrote: In 11 I had just holstered my weapon and still had my hand on it when a street person came running at me demanding that I give him money or else. When he saw what I had my hand on, he turned and ran away. I talked to the police about the incident and they told me that unless I could give them a good description, they would probably not be able to find the street person. I called them just because I was carrying and did not want to get a GWAG call against me.
Kinda doubt they'd have been looking too hard for the fellow unless your description happened to match someone they were already looking for, or sounded like one of their "regulars" in the greybar hotel.

Now, about that term 'GWAG' you used in reference to yourself: The first letter stand for "guy" or "geezer"? :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

charliej47 wrote:It is very seldom that adults are aware that I am around OC'ing. Most of the time, it is the kids that see and recognize that I am armed. For the most part, it is only the very young ones who will say anything. :roll:
Most people don't notice. Of the ones who do, most don't care... :|
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I had a guy ask me today while at subway (OC) in New Carlisle "Why do you have a GUN" my reply was "Why Not?" His reply was "This isn't Dayton, it's New Carlisle" I replied "And your point is?" That was the end of our conversation.
I would have given a different answer if he wasn't such a D**k with the way he questioned me about carrying. He was a pizza delivery driver for Poppa Jon in New Carlisle.

Just thought this would be the place to post & vent a little.

Happy 4th to all............

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

I think I would have had to ask him if he believed Dayton is the only city criminals live and apply their trade in.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Many of those folks aren't worth your time.

Some are, but they sound differently.

I had an older fella ask me why I needed a gun at the fair. Then he said, "I could see, maybe, if it was after dark."

As soon as I tried to have a conversation with him, he walked away.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Ray wrote:I had a guy ask me today while at subway (OC) in New Carlisle "Why do you have a GUN" my reply was "Why Not?" His reply was "This isn't Dayton, it's New Carlisle" I replied "And your point is?" That was the end of our conversation.
I would have given a different answer if he wasn't such a D**k with the way he questioned me about carrying. He was a pizza delivery driver for Poppa Jon in New Carlisle.

Ray
I've had similar encounters. One question to ask back is why the "safe" town still feels a need to have law enforcement officers, etc.

You'd think a pizza delivery person would have had his eyes opened a little better than most others his age, but...apparently to him "denial" is a river in New Carlisle.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Brian D. wrote:
Ray wrote:I had a guy ask me today while at subway (OC) in New Carlisle "Why do you have a GUN" my reply was "Why Not?" His reply was "This isn't Dayton, it's New Carlisle" I replied "And your point is?" That was the end of our conversation.

Ray
I've had similar encounters. One question to ask back is why the "safe" town still feels a need to have law enforcement officers, etc.

You'd think a pizza delivery person would have had his eyes opened a little better than most others his age, but...apparently to him "denial" is a river in New Carlisle.
This was the first time anyone had asked why I was carrying a firearm. I have had people in New Carlisle & other places ask if I was a LEO off duty. Now these type of questions are answered with politeness and explanations. Then some conversation with the following comment, "Oh I didn't know that" from them. I always try to educate when and if possible..........

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

Brian D. wrote:
Now, about that term 'GWAG' you used in reference to yourself: The first letter stand for "guy" or "geezer"? :mrgreen:
I resemble the last part of that comment a lot! :D
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)