How to open carry..

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Double3

How to open carry..

Post by Double3 »

I'm not much of an open carry guy but I figured you guys would like this.

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: How to open carry..

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Double, those Texas guys on the left? How do you propose they open carry handguns in a state where doing so is illegal?

When they are participating in an outdoors march, in Texas, how do you propose they keep those spiffy dress shirts from being soaked in sweat?

Don't take selfies? WTF? It looks like the guys on the right were professionally photographed and the guys on the left just posed for a spur of the moment snapshot.

As for carrying at low-ready, that was JUST posing for the camera.

How do the guys on the right have 'situational awareness'?

How are the guys on the left 'oblivious' to their surroundings?

Define EXACTLY what they were doing to be "general asshats", please.

What IF I were to have worn a 3-piece suit into that Chipotle while carrying an AR-15, and smiled and said 'Hello' to everyone, would THAT have been acceptable?

Or would THAT have been "seeking confrontation"?

Just wondering.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This meme has the tone of that old comic strip panel entitled "Goofus and Gallant" in the long gone Children's Highlights magazine.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

I feel it is best to always be polite, and it helps to put on your best appearance when being a publicly visible advocate.

Keep your hands off your firearm. When you have a long gun, slinging it on your back is usually perceived as far less threatening than holding it, this is similar to keeping a handgun in a proper holster. It's better optics and will go further to public acceptance goals.

Remember that posing for the camera can and in this case was seen by the public at large and out of context. Such can be damaging in the realm of public opinion if you look intimidating, or your appearance is unkept.

Remember, we are talking about winning hearts and minds here. This is PR 101 stuff.

Violating PR 101 stuff, can quickly backfire as we've seen where businesses have soured on us exercising rights on their property and our political opponents have claimed victory.
Double3

Post by Double3 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Double, those Texas guys on the left? How do you propose they open carry handguns in a state where doing so is illegal?

When they are participating in an outdoors march, in Texas, how do you propose they keep those spiffy dress shirts from being soaked in sweat?

Don't take selfies? WTF? It looks like the guys on the right were professionally photographed and the guys on the left just posed for a spur of the moment snapshot.

As for carrying at low-ready, that was JUST posing for the camera.

How do the guys on the right have 'situational awareness'?

How are the guys on the left 'oblivious' to their surroundings?

Define EXACTLY what they were doing to be "general asshats", please.

What IF I were to have worn a 3-piece suit into that Chipotle while carrying an AR-15, and smiled and said 'Hello' to everyone, would THAT have been acceptable?

Or would THAT have been "seeking confrontation"?

Just wondering.
Alright.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

MWSY... 3 piece suit.I'd call the guys in white jackets...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

3 piece...jacket, vest and Speedo !!

:wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
Sig1144

Post by Sig1144 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:3 piece...jacket, vest and Speedo !!

Where you carrying your gun?
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

Sig1144 wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:3 piece...jacket, vest and Speedo !!

Where you carrying your gun?
Do you really want to know :mrgreen:
Poop!
Sig1144

Post by Sig1144 »

Is that a gun in your Speedo?
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Double, those Texas guys on the left? How do you propose they open carry handguns in a state where doing so is illegal?
Black powder revolvers. And that was how it was done ... until that just wasn't "enough" to get people's attention. And that is what the joint statement of Come and Take It Texas, Texas Carry, Gun Rights Across America and Open Carry Texas has asked folks to resume doing.

Or was that just a rhetorical question?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
dan dan the XD40 man

Werz wrote:
Black powder revolvers. And that was how it was done ... until that just wasn't "enough" to get people's attention. And that is what the joint statement of Come and Take It Texas, Texas Carry, Gun Rights Across America and Open Carry Texas has asked folks to resume doing.

Maybe he, and they, disagree with those groups. So what? Who made them boss?
Poop!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

dan dan the XD40 man wrote:
Werz wrote:

Maybe he, and they, disagree with those groups. So what? Who made them boss?
It's not about being boss. It's about reality. I know that you and MyWifeSaidYes are tap-dancing desperately to support the narrative that "it's never too much as long as it's legal." Unfortunately, reality is telling the rest of us a different story.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
dan dan the XD40 man

Id go as far to say that even some things that are ILLEGAL are ok as well.
Poop!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

What's the penalty for OC in Texas?

Does it involve losing their gun rights or prison?

I could see how videos of hundreds of folks getting arrested on their statehouse lawn, showing how ridiculous the law is, having a better effect than getting thrown out of Sonic, as far as getting the law changed.
Arrange for sympathetic media coverage and legislators to be there, show just how stupid it is to outlaw showing your handgun.
Try to get arrested for displaying a blue training gun in an OWB holster and slowly inching your cover shirt up to find the line between legal and illegal.
Or do a one second flash pulling your shirt back, then a two second flash

Lots of ideas come to mind, and I'm not particularly imaginative,
They ought to be doing better then they are,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)