First OC and a question.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Jeff403

First OC and a question.

Post by Jeff403 »

Hello guys, long time reader but first time poster.

I take my CCW class next weekend and plan on applying for my permit the very next business day afterwords but in the mean time I've decided to open carry. Meth and other drugs are EXTREMELY bad in the areas I travel and crime seems to be on a slight increase so I feel better carrying to protect myself and my family. Yesterday was my first day OCing. I didn't do the "Wally World Walk" or anything, just walked around the block with my son and girlfriend. Not much traffic and the few people that were out on their porches didn't really seem to notice. Pretty uneventful overall.

I know that without a permit when transporting firearms by vehicle I have to have my gun and ammo separated and no ammo loaded into the magazine. I keep my gun in a locked case in the very back of my SUV and the ammo and magazine up front in the glove box with the magazine unloaded. My question, however, is this: Lets say I want to open carry at Wal-Mart and have to drive to get there. Once I pull into a parking lot when can I load up? I have a few concerns. Getting out of my SUV and walking around to the back and pulling out the gun and loading it up there would probably freak out the other customers. Am I allowed to walk around to the back, grab the case, return to the car and then load up the mag and holster the gun? I'm under the impression that I can't have a loaded gun in a car without a CCW but I feel like loading it up outside of the car will cause alarm.

So, what exactly is the procedure for loading up my gun without a CCW and without causing alarm while following all laws and regulations?

Thanks for reading!
Jeff.
Brian D.

Re: First OC and a question.

Post by Brian D. »

We have frequent threads on this topic, so while you do some research around the forums for more/better details, I will give a very basic condensed answer. If you are IN the vehicle, and unlicensed for concealed carry, the minute you load the gun, you've broken the law.

Probably wise to stand outside the car, use the open doors for some privacy, and perhaps park away from prying eyes best as possible to begin with. Or, do the same thing back at the trunk.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Jeff403

Post by Jeff403 »

Brian D. wrote:We have frequent threads on this topic, so while you do some research around the forums for more/better details, I will give a very basic condensed answer. If you are IN the vehicle, and unlicensed for concealed carry, the minute you load the gun, you've broken the law.

Probably wise to stand outside the car, use the open doors for some privacy, and perhaps park away from prying eyes best as possible to begin with. Or, do the same thing back at the trunk.
Thanks for your quick response. My new question then is this: Lets say I walk around back, grab the gun case, take it to the front driver seat, have both the driver and back passenger door open, and then proceed to load the magazine and insert it into my handgun... couldn't, theoretically, I be violating a brandishing law for the split second I use to transfer my gun from its case to my holster.

LOL, maybe I'm just paranoid.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian has given you good advice, I'll only add that according to the change to the law that went into effect (I think) last March, you no longer have to have the magazine unloaded. Still need separate storage for the magazines/ammo and the gun, but the magazine can be loaded with cartridges.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote: ...I'll only add that according to the change to the law that went into effect (I think) last March, you no longer have to have the magazine unloaded. Still need separate storage for the magazines/ammo and the gun, but the magazine can be loaded with cartridges.
Yes, this was a detail I was too lazy to add. Thanks for the help, there will be a little something extra in your pay envelope soon. :)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:Thanks for the help, there will be a little something extra in your pay envelope soon. :)
No thanks, the last time I got something extra in my pay envelope, it was a termination notice. :wink:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Jeff403 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:We have frequent threads on this topic, so while you do some research around the forums for more/better details, I will give a very basic condensed answer. If you are IN the vehicle, and unlicensed for concealed carry, the minute you load the gun, you've broken the law.

Thanks for your quick response. My new question then is this: Lets say I walk around back, grab the gun case, take it to the front driver seat, have both the driver and back passenger door open, and then proceed to load the magazine and insert it into my handgun... couldn't, theoretically, I be violating a brandishing law for the split second I use to transfer my gun from its case to my holster.

LOL, maybe I'm just paranoid.
There is no such thing as brandishing in Ohio. However, that's not to say if noticed someone won't call the police to say they see someone loading up a gun in a parking lot. Just a few months ago we had an incident like that posted about on here.

Here it is....

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Jeff403

Post by Jeff403 »

Thanks everyone for your prompt responses. I live in Highland county and have seen several OCers here and have never herd of the police hassling any of them. On the plus side, it seems that even most of the liberals in this county are pro gun.
hank.forker

Post by hank.forker »

Some friendly advice: If you are going to be openly carrying a firearm, arm yourself with knowledge.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A recording device is often recommended as well.
Jeff403

Post by Jeff403 »

hank.forker wrote:Some friendly advice: If you are going to be openly carrying a firearm, arm yourself with knowledge.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A recording device is often recommended as well.
Thank you. Read the second one a couple nights ago but that first link is a new one for me.

I'll be going around town tomorrow running a few errands and I plan on OCing and I'd by lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. Its kind of sad when you have to be a bit nervous following the law. My main concern is being stopped by a peace officer who doesn't like OC. Oh well, thats the chance every OCer has to take to keep their family safe I suppose.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

A five shot snubby revolver is easy to load and unload. And you can do it discreetly.
Jeff403

Post by Jeff403 »

color of law wrote:A five shot snubby revolver is easy to load and unload. And you can do it discreetly.
Sense it appears that I can keep my magazine loaded so long as its stored away from the gun I'm not to worried about that part anymore. Man, I HATE loading magazines so finding that out if a big relief. Thanks for the tip tho! :D
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Jeff403 wrote: Sense it appears that I can keep my magazine loaded so long as its stored away from the gun I'm not to worried about that part anymore. Man, I HATE loading magazines so finding that out if a big relief. Thanks for the tip tho! :D
Jeff, you can put your loaded magazines AND your gun in the same container, as long as they are separate WITHIN the container.

If you put your gun in a closeable container, like a bag or box, you can put your magazine in a separate closeable container, like a ziploc baggie, and put that container in the first container.

As far as being nervous, why would you be nervous about doing something legal?
MyWifeSaidYes
Jeff403

Post by Jeff403 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Jeff403 wrote: Sense it appears that I can keep my magazine loaded so long as its stored away from the gun I'm not to worried about that part anymore. Man, I HATE loading magazines so finding that out if a big relief. Thanks for the tip tho! :D
Jeff, you can put your loaded magazines AND your gun in the same container, as long as they are separate WITHIN the container.

If you put your gun in a closeable container, like a bag or box, you can put your magazine in a separate closeable container, like a ziploc baggie, and put that container in the first container.

As far as being nervous, why would you be nervous about doing something legal?
I shouldn't be nervous. I've just herd many stories of OCers getting hassled by cops. I'l be fine after I do it a few times and realize its all good.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Not sure if anyone has told you this or not yet, but you need to avoid class D establishments that sell alcohol for consumption on site. possessing a firearm in one of those without a CHL, regardless of if it is concealed or not is illegal