First OC and a question.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rDigital

Re: First OC and a question.

Post by rDigital »

Many grocery stores and big box retailers have those permits to serve wine to shoppers. Instant felony.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

rDigital wrote:Many grocery stores and big box retailers have those permits to serve wine to shoppers. Instant felony.
The way I read it, that only applies if they are serving at the time:

ORC 2923.121
(A) No person shall possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming beer or intoxicating liquor in a premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued.
Of course, by the time you discover they are serving, it may well be too late...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Jeff403

Post by Jeff403 »

Thats a silly law.

Anyways, I OCed at Wal-Mart today and its amazing how many people don't notice. Had a few strange looks from non-employees and that was it. While waiting on my GF to try on clothes one employee did ask me if my gun was real. I politely told her yes. Her follow up question I found a bit silly...

"Do they know you have it on you?"

I have no idea who she meant by "they" but I assume she meant management. I briefly explained to her that Wal-Mart just follows all state laws when it comes to carrying firearms in their stores. She seemed ok by that answer and changed the subject. We had a nice non-firearm talk for about 10 minutes while my GF continued to try on clothes.

I was a bit surprised she didn't know the store's gun policy.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Jeff403 wrote:Thats a silly law.
Hence, the main reason that Ohioans For Concealed Carry is still around after all these years...the gun laws are not as user friendly as we'd like them to be.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Jeff403 wrote:

Anyways, I OCed at Wal-Mart today and its amazing how many people don't notice. Had a few strange looks from non-employees and that was it. While waiting on my GF to try on clothes one employee did ask me if my gun was real. I politely told her yes. Her follow up question I found a bit silly...

"Do they know you have it on you?"

I have no idea who she meant by "they" but I assume she meant management. I briefly explained to her that Wal-Mart just follows all state laws when it comes to carrying firearms in their stores. She seemed ok by that answer and changed the subject. We had a nice non-firearm talk for about 10 minutes while my GF continued to try on clothes.

I was a bit surprised she didn't know the store's gun policy.
She likely knows the store's gun policies as they affect HER, an employee. Chances are they don't have OC'ers in there everyday, and maybe you're the first one she's noticed.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Brian D. wrote:
Jeff403 wrote:I was a bit surprised she didn't know the store's gun policy.
She likely knows the store's gun policies as they affect HER, an employee. Chances are they don't have OC'ers in there everyday, and maybe you're the first one she's noticed.
Last fall, I was open-carrying in Wal-Mart, and an employee with whom I have a passing familiarity got in line behind me to buy drink before going on break. He said, "I really wish they would let us carry in here!"
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Werz wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
Jeff403 wrote:I was a bit surprised she didn't know the store's gun policy.
Last fall, I was open-carrying in Wal-Mart, and an employee with whom I have a passing familiarity got in line behind me to buy drink before going on break. He said, "I really wish they would let us carry in here!"
Of course he said that.

Have you SEEN the type of people that shop at Wal-Mart?!

:shock:
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Werz wrote: Last fall, I was open-carrying in Wal-Mart, and an employee with whom I have a passing familiarity got in line behind me to buy drink before going on break. He said, "I really wish they would let us carry in here!"
Of course he said that.

Have you SEEN the type of people that shop at Wal-Mart?!

:shock:
I hesitate to mention this (well no, not really :mrgreen:) but if you've *seen* the type of people who shop at Wal-Mart, you *are* the type of people who shop at Wal-Mart... :lol:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
BobK

Post by BobK »

JustaShooter wrote: I hesitate to mention this (well no, not really :mrgreen:) but if you've *seen* the type of people who shop at Wal-Mart, you *are* the type of people who shop at Wal-Mart... :lol:
Not necessarily. :mrgreen:

Someone can regard the numerous photo-filled web pages entitled "People of Walmart" ("POW"), be thoroughly entertained, and never set foot in the store. :lol:

As for my wife and I, if we are shopping in Walmart and see such a specimen, I'll turn to her and exclaim in a rather loud voice "POW"! I never tire of the joke.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

BobK wrote: As for my wife and I, if we are shopping in Walmart and see such a specimen, I'll turn to her and exclaim in a rather loud voice "POW"! I never tire of the joke.
My wife an I use walmart for the larger balk quantity items which Buehlers grocery stores ( where we normally shop for most every thing else) doesn't carry.

When one of us sees one of these "specimens" (as bobk calls 'em), I'll say "watch it!....don't get none on ya!.....and after we get around 'em one of us will usually say "whew....that was close"!.......geeez.....sometimes it's hard to stop laughing :lol: Seems anymore, like there's more and more of them!

I'd say about two months ago, I was there by myself in the checkout behind an elderly couple, probably in their 70's, with one of these walmart types ahead of them, wear'in, if i remember right, pajamas,flip flops and ORANGE HAIR and rings in her lips (at least I THINK it was a female) :shock: .......the older gent ahead of me turned and looked at me and you should have seen the LOOK on his face! :lol: At that point, I busted out laughing and had to change isles.

I don't know what it is about some people.....maybe it's just a lack of having pride or self respect in themselves......I just don't know?!
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".