Raising awareness and prompting discussion

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Raising awareness and prompting discussion

Post by WestonDon »

One would have to word the ballot language so that a yes vote would result in the amendment not passing. Is that what you meant? I don't know how one would do that. Perhaps someone more skilled in the razzle dazzle of politics could figure it out.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

WestonDon wrote:One would have to word the ballot language so that a yes vote would result in the amendment not passing. Is that what you meant? I don't know how one would do that. Perhaps someone more skilled in the razzle dazzle of politics could figure it out.
Cincinnati did that with the streetcar ballot language.

Shall the Charter of the City of Cincinnati be amended to prohibit the city, and its various boards and commissions, from spending any monies for right-of-way acquisition or construction of improvements for passenger rail transportation (e.g., a trolley or streetcar) within the city limits without first submitting the question of approval of such expenditure to a vote of the electorate of the city and receiving a majority affirmative vote for the same by enacting new Article XIV?[3]

Voting Yes meant you wanted to have a separate vote on the streetcar. Voting No meant you wanted the streetcar to go forward. There was huge talks after it passed that no meant yes and yes meant no for a streetcar to be built.

So instead of a simple ballot of "Shall the city of Cincinnati build a streetcar" they made that convoluted mess above.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
WestonDon wrote:One would have to word the ballot language so that a yes vote would result in the amendment not passing. Is that what you meant? I don't know how one would do that. Perhaps someone more skilled in the razzle dazzle of politics could figure it out.

Shall the Charter of the City of Cincinnati be amended to prohibit the city, and its various boards and commissions, from spending any monies for right-of-way acquisition or construction of improvements for passenger rail transportation (e.g., a trolley or streetcar) within the city limits without first submitting the question of approval of such expenditure to a vote of the electorate of the city and receiving a majority affirmative vote for the same by enacting new Article XIV?[3]

Voting Yes meant you wanted to have a separate vote on the streetcar. Voting No meant you wanted the streetcar to go forward. There was huge talks after it passed that no meant yes and yes meant no for a streetcar to be built.

So instead of a simple ballot of "Shall the city of Cincinnati build a streetcar" they made that convoluted mess above.
Weve had a few like that in Cleveland. How did the streetcar vote turn out?
Poop!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

dan dan the XD40 man wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:

Weve had a few like that in Cleveland. How did the streetcar vote turn out?
It's being built as we speak. I believe a huge downfall was...

1) The ballot language was confusing
2) It shut down all forms of light rail within the city and a huge project they are thinking of doing is a light rail from Hamilton County to Clermont County but it would require some local investment (although quite small) from each municipality it passes through. The "for the streetcar" group said this would shut down any light rail systems at all through Cincinnati.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.