Raising awareness and prompting discussion

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Raising awareness and prompting discussion

Post by NavyChief »

M'kay. Yeah - no such thing as bad publicity. And all that crap. OC of your EDC is one thing. I've even been known to do once in a while. But is a long gun REALLY your EDC? And is it really helpful?

Jack in the Box Caves to Gun Control Pressure, Restricts Open Carry

It really doesn't much matter that I'm more inclined to believe this account:
“The truth is that not a single employee of Jack in the Box hid in a freezer nor did a single employee call 911 or the police,” OCT stated on its Facebook page Tuesday.
http://www.guns.com/2014/05/08/moms-gro ... earms-ban/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The damage is done.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Tweed Ring

Re: Raising awareness and prompting discussion

Post by Tweed Ring »

As I said in a previous post, there will be pushback, in various forms. Thumb into the eye can be fun, but like elections, it can have consequences. If and when the hammer comes down, I hope it doesn’t impact Ohio concealed carry.

All it would take for us to lose Ohio concealed carry is for a majority of Liberals to be in control of both houses of the OGA, coupled with a Liberal governor to sign off on the repeal of same. Such a proposal/proposals could be as simple as:
1.) Open carry of firearms is now illegal in Ohio.
2.) Concealed carry of firearms is no longer legal in Ohio.

As a student of politics in Ohio for almost 50 years, I have seen the political pendulum swing back and forth, in terms of power and control. Anyone recall “Riffe Insurance?”
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Tweed Ring wrote:
All it would take for us to lose Ohio concealed carry is for a majority of Liberals to be in control of both houses of the OGA, coupled with a Liberal governor to sign off on the repeal of same. Such a proposal/proposals could be as simple as:
Has such a thing ever happened in any of the other (56) U.S. states? Especially the end of carry license issuance in any state??
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

This is where I think TR errs. Both would not - nay, could not - be done based on Heller & McDonald. (Unless of course a more liberal SCOTUS overturns one or both of them.) But by golly OC could be banned and CC made more difficult.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

NavyChief wrote:This is where I think TR errs. Both would not - nay, could not - be done based on Heller & McDonald. (Unless of course a more liberal SCOTUS overturns one or both of them.) But by golly OC could be banned and CC made more difficult.
I don't think a ban would ever come down the pipes but I do see the "made more difficult" as a possibility. Haven't we seen that numerous times in many states? It would be quite easy to pass a 10 round mag limit, bring a 1000 foot rule to Ohio, restrict carry places or make the penalties harsher, etc.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Sure, chip away at it a piece at a time, Liberal SCOTUS, it's doable.
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

Open Carry of long guns is political theater. It needs to be saved for when it is useful.

Open carry of long guns is usually a bad idea, unless there is an organized event that it's a part of. When people see long guns and don't expect them, it can make them start thinking negative things. Especially those who are unfamiliar with guns and only see them on TV.

It's not about what we think. It's about what the rest of the people who are not even invested in the RKBA movement think. They think and they vote, just like us.

I'm totally fine with open carry of anything. If I could fit an AR15 in my pocket, it's all I'd every carry because it's a superior weapon to any handgun. I don't because it's big and bulky and gets in the way. It's not EDC material. Try sitting down at a restaurant with your rifle. What a PITA.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Tweed Ring wrote:Sure, chip away at it a piece at a time, Liberal SCOTUS, it's doable.
Not just doable. I won't go so far as to say "likely," but I sure wouldn't bet against it.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Brian D. wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:
Has such a thing ever happened in any of the other (56) U.S. states? Especially the end of carry license issuance in any state??
Californians used to be able to carry unloaded handguns openly. That changed in the last few months, as I recall. I don't think they have any legal means to open carry now.

They may not be the best example, due to the almost extreme anti-freedom nature of the state. Things do have a way of trickling east, though. I never imagined Colorado's gun laws would become so negative.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

Me thinks maybe we need an "open carry is bad, m'kay" subforum, to compliment the "open carry" subforum, and give all the naysayers and sky is falling types a place of their own to share their scare tacticks, dire warnings, and finger shaking amongst themselves.

This thread seems akin to going into the "women's" subforum and posting all of the negative reasoning about why females shouldnt carry.

:roll:
Poop!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Twenty years ago, certain social actions and/or situations were simply illegal and society frowned upon them. Liberals and the Lewinsky Media pushed these social changes/memes and now many states have changed their laws to reflect these changes.

What makes anyone think with the perfect storm of situations, fears, concerns, coincidences, and changes in political power Ohio concealed carry could not be neutered or repealed?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

dan dan the XD40 man wrote:Me thinks maybe we need an "open carry is bad, m'kay" subforum, to compliment the "open carry" subforum, and give all the naysayers and sky is falling types a place of their own to share their scare tacticks, dire warnings, and finger shaking amongst themselves.

This thread seems akin to going into the "women's" subforum and posting all of the negative reasoning about why females shouldnt carry.

:roll:
50 years ago a black person sitting in a white person's seat on a bus is no different than say a bunch of CHLers walking into the front lobby of a school with handguns on their hips. Both are/were illegal at the time of the crime. The difference is, how society as a whole has changed. Parts of society have opened up to firearms, part's haven't. What worked back then, might not work as easily now. The problem is, it may work to the opposite effect now and once that happens, then it's possibly even a longer battle to get it back.

Rights can be given, rights can be taken away. Everything is in the method of how it's done and how the message is sent out and how it's received.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

dan dan the XD40 man wrote:Me thinks maybe we need an "open carry is bad, m'kay" subforum, to compliment the "open carry" subforum, and give all the naysayers and sky is falling types a place of their own to share their scare tacticks, dire warnings, and finger shaking amongst themselves.

I think the point of the thread is that actions have consequences. Therefore, we ought to be wise in our choices.

If we really want to "educate" the public, and perhaps win some hearts and minds, we may want to consider more carefully how we go about that. There's a time to be "in your face" and over the top, and there's a time to be wise.

Starbucks was cordial to open carry. That's pretty hard to beat--a major, popular, nationwide chain--what an opportunity to demonstrate that those of us who choose to carry firearms are just normal, responsible citizens. Now it's gone. Jack-in-the-Box, another major chain, another open-carry-friendly policy...gone.

This is not about "open carry is bad". This is about "offending our neighbor unnecessarily" is not going to produce the sort of results we're hoping for.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

It is sad to me that the government has people so afraid to do something legal that they wont do it. And these people wont do whatever that thing is because if they do do it, then the government wont let them do that thing anymore. So instead of not being allowed to do it, they just dont do it, so that they can still do it, but then dont. Confused? I am.

As far as starbucks, burger places, etc.. meh. I've never based my life around what Taco Bell thinks or does, and dont intend to now.
Poop!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

dan dan the XD40 man wrote:It is sad to me that the government has people so afraid to do something legal that they wont do it. And these people wont do whatever that thing is because if they do do it, then the government wont let them do that thing anymore. So instead of not being allowed to do it, they just dont do it, so that they can still do it, but then dont. Confused? I am.

As far as starbucks, burger places, etc.. meh. I've never based my life around what Taco Bell thinks or does, and dont intend to now.
The problem is....where does it end? McDonalds next? Burger King? Kroger? Meijer? How many stores will be tired of supporting the cause because of the media and social media backlash and decide to just take the stance of banning it. After all, the gun crowd is generally quieter when it comes to businesses saying "no more" than the moms demand action (or whatever other groups are out there.)

One can say then we shouldn't support those businesses either, well, eventually you run out of places and are forced to support them or risk paying higher prices shopping elsewhere.

When it comes to private businesses that open their doors for you I believe the best course of action is to remain neutral and not push the envelope or obtain prior permission from said business to make sure they are 100% ok with it. Don't walk in to some store with 20 guys with ARs slung over their shoulders and surprise the managers/owners. They don't like surprises.

It's a tough line to walk.