My 1st OC

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JMO

My 1st OC

Post by JMO »

I've had my license just since last November. I always CC with an IWB holster, but recently bought a nice OWB holster that I've just been covering up with a shirt.

Yesterday I decided I'd walk through Walmart with the shirt tucked behind the holster exposing my gun. I was walking through with my brother, we both were kinda seeing how many stares would come our way over the exposed gun. I was surprised at how little anyone noticed it!! With the way I was wearing though (on my right hip) I could walk around with my right hand in my pocket and it basically concealed the handgun enough that I don't think anyone could even see it... unless my hand was out of my pocket on my phone, or looking at something from a shelf, it was pretty much covered up by my arm. The lack of notice to it was surprising... people really don't pay attention AT ALL!

There was however these 2 Mexican guys walking around pushing a cart past us as we were in an aisle checking out some air purifiers. The one pushing the cart walked past and as he did so glanced my way, I heard him say something about a gun to his compadre. They had stopped just outside my view past the aisle dead in their tracks, then he took 2 steps back for a double-take before continuing to push forward. I just found it a bit humorous :)

Nonetheless my 1st OC experience was very much a non-issue and I think I may find myself doing it a little bit more and not so paranoid about my gun being exposed!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: My 1st OC

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

JMO:
In my opinion, no.....many don't notice, and when they do, here again, IMO, many don't say anything.....they just go on about their business or, who knows, they may walk up to ya and inquire about it which can lead to a little public education on the issue..,,BUT.....there might be someone who DOES say or do something because they DON"T like it and makes that MWAG call and that's when you should be well versed in the law, and your rights in regards to carrying a firearm and you need to know how to interact with the public AND law enforcement it when that happens!
I''ve been carrying openly for close to three years......"testing the waters" so to speak, back when I started, sorta like you seem to be doing now.
Over the years I've come to meet others who've carried that way much longer than I and If you hang out on the open carry forums/sub-forums here and on other gun forums, you'll meet some of them and you'll learn alot.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Yep, you'll find most of those who DO notice don't react, respond or care.

When someone does notice, be sure to nod, smile and, if appropriate, say hello.

The most recent comment I overheard (in the Kroger's in Galloway, OH)?

"Mommy, that man has a gun!"

"Yes. He does."

:)
MyWifeSaidYes
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

I have found on two recent occasions that those who did notice were inquisitive and were also positive about it. They did not know it was legal and other positive aspects also.

I am a fairly recent open carrier myself and have made similar observations and have become less nervous about it. The majority of people are just to self-absorbed to notice.

Carry on!

David
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Our current generation of "zombies" seldom look at anything besides their smartphones.
MyWifeSaidYes
A_F

Post by A_F »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Our current generation of "zombies" seldom look at anything besides their smartphones.

Is it ironic that I'm reading this on my smartphone?
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

I open carry most all the time as well. It's true as you note that most people never notice. The majority of my verbal encounters with the public however, are from those that are curious about the laws, the right to carry and the in particular, the right to carry openly and how to go about getting a permit. What is surprising is two encounters I had this past weekend. Both were curious if law enforcement ever gave me any grief for openly carrying a firearm. I've never had a problem even once with law enforcement and in fact have been met with nothing but courteous responses whenever casually talking to a police officer. I told both of them as much when to my surprise they pull out their wallets to show me they already have a conceal carry permit. A third I met at a garage sale was a permit holder that was concealing as we spoke but also voiced a fear if he were to open carry. Maybe I shoulnd'nt have been surprised?

Asking them why they don't carry all explained they were concerned with any repercussions with law enforcement should they notice. One said he would gladly carry openly but was afraid of the impending hassle as well as the financial burden of defending himself should he be arrested or thrown in jail. It all leads me to believe that there are very, very many people out there that have a permit and will not carry because of these very fears.

In a side note, after one of these encounters at a Kroger in Centerville, as I was headed to the check out, I was surrounded by 3 husky employees. One, very polite, informed me that it is the stores policy to prohibit the carrying of arms. I smiled and told him that I would be surprised that Kroger's has such a policy and ask him if the store was posted. I already knew it wasn't. He smiled broadly and imformed that, an indeed they were. I asked him to show me the sign. We went outside where he searched in vain for a posting... anywhere, anywhere at all. He then explained he had worked there many years and that it used to be posted and it appears management changed their mind, and now obviously they are not. He sincerely apologized for my inconvience, shook my hand and went on his way. Maybe not as surprising by now, two of the three employees that approached me initally had conceal carry permits and both do not ever carry a firearms. For fear.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

gfrlaser wrote: He then explained he had worked there many years and that it used to be posted and it appears management changed their mind, and now obviously they are not. He sincerely apologized for my inconvience, shook my hand and went on his way. Maybe not as surprising by now, two of the three employees that approached me initally had conceal carry permits and both do not ever carry a firearms.
If three "husky" young men were to surround me in a store, I would consider that an act of intimidation. My next step, after showing them there is no "No Guns" sign, would be to talk to their manager. Polite or not, I do not take intimidation lightly...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

gfrlaser wrote: Maybe not as surprising by now, two of the three employees that approached me initally had conceal carry permits and both do not ever carry a firearms.
After running across this many times in the last ten years I have a handful of ideas about the 'Why?' of that mindset. Most of them are somewhat politically incorrect and would drag this thread off topic by about a zillion miles. Suffice to say, in my view it's often the result of not being able/allowed to make up their own minds about how they live their daily lives.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Brian D. wrote:
gfrlaser wrote: Maybe not as surprising by now, two of the three employees that approached me initally had conceal carry permits and both do not ever carry a firearms.
After running across this many times in the last ten years I have a handful of ideas about the 'Why?' of that mindset. Most of them are somewhat politically incorrect and would drag this thread off topic by about a zillion miles. Suffice to say, in my view it's often the result of not being able/allowed to make up their own minds about how they live their daily lives.
Kroger policy does prohibit employees from having firearms on company property, on or off the clock, (per my late wife's employee handbook). They may be concerned that they will have to stop at the store for something and jeopardize their employment. Or they could be like many others, who get their license but never carry.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

I talked to a Kroger store manager the other day and asked him if they had a customer code of conduct, like the no shirt – no shoes – no service. The manager had no clue as to what I was talking about.

I asked how he would handle a complaint from a customer that did not like another customer's shirt that said I love jellybeans. Would he ask the person wearing the jellybean shirt to leave? It was like a deer caught in the headlights. This manager had no idea what to do.

He said the only policy he knew of was whatever was posted on the door was policy. Like the no smoking in the store sign. He then said there was a no guns in the store sign on the door.

I informed him that is not what that sign says. I explained what that liquor control sign actually meant. He had no clue.

http://www.thekrogerco.com/docs/default ... hicspolicy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kroger's policy says this:
Compliance with the law - Compliance with laws and regulations applicable to the company is essential. Associates are encouraged to contact the company's Law Department if they have any questions regarding appropriate conduct and compliance with the law.

Here is an email I got from Kroger just last December.
Dear XXXXX:

Thank you for contacting The Kroger Co. We appreciate that you have taken the time to clarify any concerns you may have.

Kroger complies with the State law as it relates to customer's carrying weapons. Kroger does not discriminate against customer's gender, religion, ethnicity, etc.

If you know of anyone carrying weapons in our stores or being discriminated against, please respond to this email with as much detail as you can provide or give us a call at XXXXXXXX.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Thank you for shopping with us. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Kroger Customer Connect
The Kroger Family of Stores
It is amazing that Kroger has no employee training on how to handle customer complaints or what signs actually say that are posted on their doors.
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

It is amazing that Kroger has no employee training on how to handle customer complaints or what signs actually say that are posted on their doors.
Pretty much true with lots of larger companies.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
mreising

Post by mreising »

color of law wrote:I talked to a Kroger store manager the other day and asked him if they had a customer code of conduct, like the no shirt – no shoes – no service. The manager had no clue as to what I was talking about.

I asked how he would handle a complaint from a customer that did not like another customer's shirt that said I love jellybeans. Would he ask the person wearing the jellybean shirt to leave? It was like a deer caught in the headlights. This manager had no idea what to do.
So what was the point of poking this particular bear, Gary? Had this manager raised the gun issue while you or someone else was carrying there? Unless there was already a problem, I would have left well enough alone and not asked the manager; as we know, many of them are often clueless and think the liquor control sign bans all guns. I had one of the Kroger VPs and a president of some part/division of Kroger in my class several years ago. They are aware of what is allowed by company policy, unfortunately, many of the people at the lower echelons are not aware.

I say, if there is no problem at a particular time, don't stir things up, but that's just me as I try to become the "kinder and gentler" version of Mark. I know not everyone agrees, and I'm not looking for a flame war, so to each his own.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

mreising wrote:
color of law wrote:I talked to a Kroger store manager the other day and asked him if they had a customer code of conduct, like the no shirt – no shoes – no service. The manager had no clue as to what I was talking about.

So what was the point of poking this particular bear...?
If there was no mention of firearms during the conversation, I think it would be a fair question and wouldn't be 'poking the bear'.

The question would be: "If there is person A in your store that is afraid of person B, but person B is doing nothing illegal, what do you do as the store manager?"
MyWifeSaidYes
ThreeEyedRaven

Post by ThreeEyedRaven »

I used to work as an unarmed security guard at Kroger in Englewood back in 07. I was only 18 at the time and it was my first job. I also had a curiosity about law enforcement as well. We'll one afternoon I see this kinda heavyset fellow carrying a pistol on his hip. I ask him the typical are you a cop questions because I thought he was. He just said nope and that Ohio is an open carry state. He gave me some good answers about openly carrying arms. No other employees or customers noticed him shopping.

I would like to open carry just have to work up the stones to do it.