My 1st OC

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: My 1st OC

Post by Brian D. »

ThreeEyedRaven wrote:I used to work as an unarmed security guard at Kroger in Englewood back in 07. I was only 18 at the time and it was my first job. I also had a curiosity about law enforcement as well. We'll one afternoon I see this kinda heavyset fellow carrying a pistol on his hip. I ask him the typical are you a cop questions because I thought he was. He just said nope and that Ohio is an open carry state. He gave me some good answers about openly carrying arms. No other employees or customers noticed him shopping.

I would like to open carry just have to work up the stones to do it.
Given the location you stated, there's a good chance the fellow you saw is a member of these forums, goes by the username Lthrnck. Haven't seen much of him around the interwebz, hope things are okay with Kent these days.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Re: My 1st OC

Post by color of law »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
mreising wrote:
color of law wrote:I talked to a Kroger store manager the other day and asked him if they had a customer code of conduct, like the no shirt – no shoes – no service. The manager had no clue as to what I was talking about.

I asked how he would handle a complaint from a customer that did not like another customer's shirt that said I love jellybeans. Would he ask the person wearing the jellybean shirt to leave? It was like a deer caught in the headlights. This manager had no idea what to do.
So what was the point of poking this particular bear...?
If there was no mention of firearms during the conversation, I think it would be a fair question and wouldn't be 'poking the bear'.

The question would be: "If there is person A in your store that is afraid of person B, but person B is doing nothing illegal, what do you do as the store manager?"
Exactly.

Mark, your question - “So what was the point of poking this particular bear, Gary?” is a back handed way of trying to establish what Kroger's customer policy is and how it is enforced. Without a posted customer policy the customer is placed in pearl of being arrested for a violation of an undefined or nonexistent Kroger policy. The trespass statute is what is mostly used. And just because an employee takes it on themselves to not like what a customer is doing while shopping, that employee, based on their personal prejudice, can put the customer in a legal hellhole at no cost to the employee.

We have all heard about people being harassed for open carrying in Kroger. Especially when Kroger posts their “policy” on the door about Class “D” liquor license relating to wine tasting. Yes, the posting of that sign becomes Kroger policy because there is no punishment for not posting. Unlike the civil fine imposed for not posting a no smoking sign. That misunderstood or unread liquor sign by store managers, loss prevention employees, employees in general and cops are all protected by the court system. You are not presumed innocent until proven guilty. You are dragged through the court system being treated like dirt and if you demand your rights you will be castigated for just asking.

So what was my point of poking the bear? To get an understanding how my rights, as well as any other persons rights, can be abused in a fraction of a second because of someone's prejudices.