Dayton, OH OC on bike path

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

zurfaces

Dayton, OH OC on bike path

Post by zurfaces »

The SO and I are going to start biking on the local bike paths. I have heard enough stories of people being mugged on the bike paths to know we need to be as protected as possible. Adding a bike into the draw equation will probably slow us down so I'm considering open carrying to avoid having to move clothing to draw. My SO says he will just conceal but I don't feel comfortable with it personally. I'm thinking we won't have any problems on the path carrying since it's not high traffic. I also feel like being a young white female carrying a gun is less likely to freak someone out than a male. Of course I could be wrong but I'm sure you will correct that theory.

I'm considering either a shoulder holster or a thigh holster that attaches to a belt. I'm willing to consider other options but for the bike that I ride I think these two will be the best options for easy access. Also if I have the shoulder holster and need to stop to enter a store I can always throw on a light jacket. The thigh holster hasbthe benefit of being closer to the handle bars.

Your thoughts?
Also I was going to download qik video and apparently they are shutting down at the end of this month. Do you know of another video recording instant upload app? Voice will work as well.

TIA
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Dayton, OH OC on bike path

Post by JustaShooter »

I OC on the bike paths between Massillon and Canal Fulton all the time and have never had anyone notice - or at least, nobody has said anything as I pass them or they pass me, and I've never had a LEO show up or anything. Of course, I'm not taking leisurely bike rides, I use it as exercise so I try to push myself to go faster and farther so I wonder if anyone has even seen it lol.

I say go for it, don't worry about what others think, and use whatever method of carry you like best. I've never used a shoulder holster, but it just seems like it wouldn't work as well on a bike as a belt holster. I carry in a belt holster, strong side at 3:00 - 3:30 so that my leg doesn't move it around as I pedal. I know some like small of back carry, but I'm not a fan of small of back carry.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

zurfaces wrote:The SO and I are going to start biking on the local bike paths. I have heard enough stories of people being mugged on the bike paths to know we need to be as protected as possible. Adding a bike into the draw equation will probably slow us down so I'm considering open carrying to avoid having to move clothing to draw. My SO says he will just conceal but I don't feel comfortable with it personally. I'm thinking we won't have any problems on the path carrying since it's not high traffic. I also feel like being a young white female carrying a gun is less likely to freak someone out than a male. Of course I could be wrong but I'm sure you will correct that theory.

I'm considering either a shoulder holster or a thigh holster that attaches to a belt. I'm willing to consider other options but for the bike that I ride I think these two will be the best options for easy access. Also if I have the shoulder holster and need to stop to enter a store I can always throw on a light jacket. The thigh holster hasbthe benefit of being closer to the handle bars.

Your thoughts?
Also I was going to download qik video and apparently they are shutting down at the end of this month. Do you know of another video recording instant upload app? Voice will work as well.

TIA
I thought I had responded already, but some glitch kept it from posting. Personally, I pocket carry my 642 hammerless snubby as I am pretty adept at getting to it (capacity being the downside.) I'm still easing my way into open carry and would consider doing so this year. I love the Dayton area bike paths, usually starting at the small park in Olde Towne and heading to Yellowsprings to eat and then back DOWNHILL to Old Towne. Very pretty ride, but there HAVE been muggings on that stretch.

My only concern with open carry is getting into Yellow Springs and having a hippie-wannabe making a MWAG call or wetting him/herself. Also, I generally eat at Peaches and wonder what their (or any YS restaurant's policy is on having a weapon inside. It IS a liberal stronghold after-all. I would agree with you that YOUR OCing would seem less threatening to other bikers/joggers, I also ride the path from the Xenia station toward Spring Valley/Corwin. Also a pretty ride. Someday maybe you and your SO can hook up with me and maybe my brother and we'll buy you lunch or Ice Cream at least.

I'm curious, though... What is shutting down at the end of the month?
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I would not do thigh. Your thigh moves too much. This makes the gun move too much. Even a secure holster, the guns going to move a tad, not to mention the holster will move slightly unless you plan on tightening it so tight that it doesn't move at all, at which point, I hope you can pedal with one leg.

I'd just go with the good old hip holster. Any reason you don't think this would work?
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Has anyone considered a chest holster?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=che ... &FORM=IGRE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Bit

Post by Bit »

I am thinking about buying one of these to wear while riding the bike.

http://tacticalgear.com/mens-511-holster-shirts/black" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hutsona

Post by hutsona »

You should be "good to go". I'd make sure to carry my CHL anyway, in the event some of those paths run a little close to school zones (I think some portions of the bike path in Beavercreek do cross into the 1000 foot radius zone given by Federal law, and the cross-country team runs on the bike path during summer conditioning). If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will chime in and we'll both learn something.

As for a holster, I agree that an OWB on your belt is about as convenient as it gets. My experience is doing yard & gardening work rather than biking, but I find the OWB on the waist at 3:30 gets in the way the least.

happy biking :)
...learning new things every day!
andiamo

Post by andiamo »

Why visit a bike path that has a high amount of muggings and crime , just because you're armed?
If I thought I needed a gun to go somewhere specific, I wouldn't go there. I always carry a firearm with me , but that doesn't mean that I'd go somewhere I normally wouldn't just because I carry.

Think of it this way....I always where a seat belt while in a car in the event of an accident. But if I was to have powers of predicting the future, and I could guarantee that I was going to be in an accident today.I wouldn't worry about my seatbelt...I wouldn't drive, period.
ci vici pacem para bellum
docachna

Post by docachna »

andiamo wrote:...If I thought I needed a gun to go somewhere specific, I wouldn't go there.
"Sorry, honey, we can't go visit your parents in Shaker any more. Gotta go through Cleveland to get there."

:lol:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Liberty Sanders

Post by Liberty Sanders »

Zurfaces,

If you've not worn a shoulder holster before you need to try one on before making a decision. Barrel chested men and ladies who are particularly well-endowed can have difficulty in reaching across their own chest to access the weapon.

One design that I think might be ideal for what you're talking about would be the WWII design "tanker" holster.
"I wish that SOB had a hundred room house and I could kill him once in every room."
Captain "Bull" Neal, Cincinnati Police Division
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

andiamo wrote:Why visit a bike path that has a high amount of muggings and crime , just because you're armed?
If I thought I needed a gun to go somewhere specific, I wouldn't go there. I always carry a firearm with me , but that doesn't mean that I'd go somewhere I normally wouldn't just because I carry.

Think of it this way....I always where a seat belt while in a car in the event of an accident. But if I was to have powers of predicting the future, and I could guarantee that I was going to be in an accident today.I wouldn't worry about my seatbelt...I wouldn't drive, period.
The OP is not going to use a bike path BECAUSE she's armed, the OP wants to be armed BECAUSE she's going to use the bike path.

There IS a subtle but important difference.

Going there BECAUSE you are armed makes it seem like you are looking for trouble.

Going there and BEING armed means you are prepared if trouble finds you.

Crimes happen at gas stations but I still go to gas stations. Crimes happen at restaurants but I still go to restaurants.

Of course, while I may walk the streets of downtown Columbus during the day, I do not do so voluntarily after dark.

I would advise not using a bike path after dark, even while armed.

:)
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Also, check out http://www.armsband.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a different carry option.
MyWifeSaidYes
andiamo

Post by andiamo »

MYWIFESAIDYES...I'm well aware that ANY gas station or ANY restaurant can be dangerous, that is why I also carry.
My point is, would you go to a particular gas sation or restaurant if you knew it had a record or reputation for being violent or dangerous if you didn't have to? I'm sure we all know of a nice neighborhood bar to get a good burger and a beer, and probably know of a few "punch palaces" as well. Where do you choose?

Yes, There will be times we may have to drive through Cleveland to get to Shaker Hts, those are called calculated risks. That's when you know your route, stay on high alert, and get from point A to Point B, ASAP. But I certainley wouldn't decide to visit E 55th and Outhwaite to play some 1 on 1 basketball..

The OP stated this particular bike path was known for it's muggings.
The many many years of cycling in the Cleveland Metroparks, I've never encountered anything that could be miscounstruded as a crime. That doesn't means it can't happen (that"s why I'm armed). But it sounds to me like the OP's bike path is one best needed to be avoided.

I wish the OP and all other's good health and good luck in their quest to find a peaceful place for fun and exercise.....( but stay armed, just incase)
ci vici pacem para bellum