Columbus Open Carry 04/19/2014

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Columbus Open Carry 04/19/2014

Post by Brian D. »

Tweed Ring wrote:I bumped heads with OSU management one time. It felt like the entire universe had fallen upon me. They are the 900 pound gorilla in Columbus, Ohio.
Saturday was more like:
(The linked image is safe for all to view.)

http://www.canstockphoto.com/illustrati ... d=10935658

Well, somewhere between that and what you describe , Tweed.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Tweed Ring wrote:I bumped heads with OSU management one time. It felt like the entire universe had fallen upon me. They are the 900 pound gorilla in Columbus, Ohio.
Yes, they were a tough nut to crack.

Whereas UC signed off on all elements rather quickly, OSU withheld their approval (aka 'We won't punish armed students under the Code of Student Conduct') until the Thursday before the Saturday walk. No doubt the delay in responding positively, as well as the fact that it was Easter weekend depressed student participation. But, the walk happened, and IMHO that's a significant achievement in itself.

This walk built on the foundational elements of the UC walk: a suggestion by JSlack7851, an approach suggested by Color of Law and given a great deal of structure by Werz's strategic plan/vision, followed by my communications, and further consultation as necessary with Color of Law.

I think a re-visit when more students are on campus, with greater lead time, would be appropriate and result in an even more productive walk.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Werz wrote:
BB62 wrote:Wasn't the quad full of people before those armed desperadoes with their sidearms and evil long arms stormed onto it? Where are the scenes of hordes of people running for their lives??

Where are the "students who were alarmed" as one person put it, kind of like the "members of the public who were alarmed" at the sight of participants in the Defense Walks a decade ago? What have you done with THOSE scenes, huh?
I was a little concerned that I devoted too much time to the students taking photos in formal wear about 10 or 20 yards away from you. I hope viewers understand the reason for that.
Werz,
Thank you so much for the video! While I was watching it, I said to my husband, "look at those kids getting their pictures taken, they aren't even phased by us being there".
Can't wait to see the video from the Patriots Day event.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Great video! One bone I have to pick: If I was one of the guys laying in the grass at 6:17, I would be having some serious words with Mr. Muzzle Sweeper! :shock: :x
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

CroManGun wrote:Great video! One bone I have to pick: If I was one of the guys laying in the grass at 6:17, I would be having some serious words with Mr. Muzzle Sweeper! :shock: :x
Apparently the students were not concerned.

I asked a couple of different students if they got an alert about guns on campus. They indicated no alerts went out that they knew of.
Second hand info - I heard someone in the group asked an OSU officer if they were receiving calls. The answer was yes, but not to worry.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

CroManGun wrote:Great video! One bone I have to pick: If I was one of the guys laying in the grass at 6:17, I would be having some serious words with Mr. Muzzle Sweeper! :shock: :x
That's my son. It was his first OC walk, and yes it was a close call. It will be addressed.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Joe Sixpack

Post by Joe Sixpack »

Ever been behind someone with a horz shoulder holster? :wink:
If you can't shoot well shoot often
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Ohio Statehouse Patriot's Day Open Carry on YouTube!

Two minutes and forty-two seconds, all resolutions, including 1080p.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

I was asked to post my thoughts and opinions on the Ohio State University Open Carry event as I already have on Facebook. Just to be clear, in case the video evidence is not enough, here is the essence of what I wrote on Facebook:

This event caused a lot of dissension. All I know is what I saw. And much of what I saw is memorialized on HD video. (See the links in this thread.) Simply put, I saw people making a statement, peacefully and lawfully, and I saw some positive reaction. I saw no panic, fear or anger. I might have done it differently if I had organized it, but I did not, and quite frankly, it seems to have turned out rather well. For what it's worth, I saw a communication from The Ohio State University's Office of General Counsel which accepted this event as lawful and legitimate, and there was constant and visible surveillance from University Police, so if any visible trouble had started, it would have ended quickly. A large part of my job involves evaluating evidence critically. I see no evidence of a significant problem in what happened this last Saturday.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

In a nut shell, as Werz implied, it was a nonevent; as it should be. The legislature can easily allow CC in buildings in state owned universities. At every turn the "blood in the streets" mongering has proved meritless.
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

Nicely done videos Werz!

You all did a good thing that day. Although seeing MWSY on the grass was "interesting." :mrgreen:

David
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Be glad I kept my pants on.

:shock:

:twisted:

:roll:

:wink:

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Werz wrote:I was asked to post my thoughts and opinions on the Ohio State University Open Carry event as I already have on Facebook. Just to be clear, in case the video evidence is not enough, here is the essence of what I wrote on Facebook:

This event caused a lot of dissension. All I know is what I saw. And much of what I saw is memorialized on HD video. (See the links in this thread.) Simply put, I saw people making a statement, peacefully and lawfully, and I saw some positive reaction. I saw no panic, fear or anger. I might have done it differently if I had organized it, but I did not, and quite frankly, it seems to have turned out rather well. For what it's worth, I saw a communication from The Ohio State University's Office of General Counsel which accepted this event as lawful and legitimate, and there was constant and visible surveillance from University Police, so if any visible trouble had started, it would have ended quickly. A large part of my job involves evaluating evidence critically. I see no evidence of a significant problem in what happened this last Saturday.

Agreement on that. I already comment on YouTube, great job on the video, but wondered what were the pamphlets that were being handed out? (Randalf< on YouTube
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

dcludwig wrote:
Werz wrote:I was asked to post my thoughts and opinions on the Ohio State University Open Carry event as I already have on Facebook. Just to be clear, in case the video evidence is not enough, here is the essence of what I wrote on Facebook:

Agreement on that. I already comment on YouTube, great job on the video, but wondered what were the pamphlets that were being handed out? (Randalf< on YouTube
I think those were something that BB62 created. I will confess that I did not read one. Perhaps he could share the text with us?
-- BobK
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Sorry. Couldn't help myself.
I have a captioned video capture that makes me feel the same way. But I'm resisting the temptation to post it.

:twisted:
-- BobK