Columbus Open Carry 04/19/2014

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

A nice day for open carry in Columbus ...

Ohio Statehouse: Image

Ohio State University: Image

Video will follow, but proper editing will take time.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

I participated today in a open carry walk on Ohio State University campus. Wow, a lot of thumbs-up. One student said it's about time, there was a hold-up on campus just last week.

Our walk up High street and back down got a number of high fives and can we take your pictures.

All in all it was a great day.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Columbus Open Carry 04/19/2014

Post by Chuck »

Looking forward to seeing it,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Here's my write-up for the OSU event:

History was made for the second time today at OSU's main campus, the largest public university campus in Ohio.

Before we even got to the main campus, a number of people asked questions, and once on campus, at the Oval, curious onlookers accepted literature and asked even more questions.

One participant even said that he had twenty times the number of conversations with people that he had had at the University of Cincinnati!

We spoke with a number of students who recognized the problem with laws which allow open carry on college campuses by non-students, but restrict those who have a concealed handgun license from carrying on campus entirely.

Fortunately or unfortunately, OSU chose not to inform students of the walk ahead of time, resulting in many curious, but not scared, looks. In most of those instances, literature was offered and worthwhile conversation ensued.

Next stop, who knows? One thing is for sure: the open carry education walks will resume in the fall.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

Glad to hear the walk went so well. Thanks for the update on the event. Keep up the good work!
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

OSU Open Carry on YouTube!

Less than nine minutes, in all resolutions, including 1080p.

Because this event was a lightning rod for controversy, I edited and published it first. Patriot's Day at the Ohio Statehouse will follow.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Nicely done. Thank you.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Thanks for the video Werz! Looking forward to the one from earlier in the day at the Statehouse as well.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

Werz wrote:OSU Open Carry on YouTube!

Because this event was a lightning rod for controversy, I edited and published it first. Patriot's Day at the Ohio Statehouse will follow.
Thank-you for the video.

What is so amazing is how this walk, on and off campus, did not affect the normal course of daily life.

Well there was one guy that believed that your First Amendment should not be exercised. Yet, he was wildly exercising his First Amendment right to tell us this.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

You and your associates put your heads into the mouth of the Columbus, Ohio 900 pound gorilla, had your event, and remained unscathed. Congratulations.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Now just hold on a minute there, pardner. Clearly you're as bad as the mainstream media with your selective editing. :evil:

Wasn't the quad full of people before those armed desperadoes with their sidearms and evil long arms stormed onto it? Where are the scenes of hordes of people running for their lives??

Where are the "students who were alarmed" as one person put it, kind of like the "members of the public who were alarmed" at the sight of participants in the Defense Walks a decade ago? What have you done with THOSE scenes, huh? Why didn't you talk to people afterwards and tell them things like "Open carry BAD, concealed carry GOOD!" - and get that on videotape?

Where are the scenes of the people who when politely offered literature, instead remembered that they had something more important to do, like throwing themselves in front of a moving vehicle?

Where are the scenes with people, when, after concluding pleasant, informative conversations with the participants, whispered to each other "Thank God we escaped with our lives!!"

And finally, where are the scenes of where the participants, when in the close quarters of the public sidewalks, caused bystanders to scatter in terror?

Oh, you "forgot" to include those scenes, did you??

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Nice video, and good music too. I'm glad you attended and made up your own mind.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

Thanks for posting!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BB62 wrote:Wasn't the quad full of people before those armed desperadoes with their sidearms and evil long arms stormed onto it? Where are the scenes of hordes of people running for their lives??

Where are the "students who were alarmed" as one person put it, kind of like the "members of the public who were alarmed" at the sight of participants in the Defense Walks a decade ago? What have you done with THOSE scenes, huh?
I was a little concerned that I devoted too much time to the students taking photos in formal wear about 10 or 20 yards away from you. I hope viewers understand the reason for that.
-- BobK
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Tweed Ring wrote:

You and your associates put your heads into the mouth of the Columbus, Ohio 900 pound gorilla, had your event, and remained unscathed. Congratulations.
For what it's worth, I also have video that our son took in Rwanda, openly standing less than twenty feet away from mountain gorillas resting and playing in the wild.

Sometimes, the gorillas are not as scary as everyone imagines.
-- BobK
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I bumped heads with OSU management one time. It felt like the entire universe had fallen upon me. They are the 900 pound gorilla in Columbus, Ohio.