Bowling Green open carry walk

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

centermass

Re: Bowling Green open carry walk

Post by centermass »

Dear Steven,

My guess is the ordinances have not kept up with state law. My understanding is that you would be able to carry a firearm in the open areas of the park but probably not allowed to carry in any structures in the park.

Prior to carry weapon in any of the parks I would strongly suggest you contact the prosecutor or an attorney. I am not an attorney and their may be other issues. Certainly they can prohibit you from hunting.

Sincerely,

Mark Wasylyshyn

His reply was CC'd to Brad Conner and Isiah Loar. To there was a small ripple in the force.
Thy rod and thy staff and thy .357, they comfort me.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

It doesn't (shouldn't) hurt to ask the sheriff or the police chief a question, but neither of those individuals are the right contacts.

Remember, the police do not actually have to know the law.

Contact the Prosecutor, Law Director or General Counsel, if the entity has any of those. If not, contact the council, board of commissioners, trustees or other such group in charge of the entity. That group should then refer any questions to their legal representative.
MyWifeSaidYes
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:It doesn't (shouldn't) hurt to ask the sheriff or the police chief a question, but neither of those individuals are the right contacts.

Contact the Prosecutor, Law Director or General Counsel, if the entity has any of those. If not, contact the council, board of commissioners, trustees or other such group in charge of the entity. That group should then refer any questions to their legal representative.
And make them aware of OFCC v. City of Oberlin.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

schmieg wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:It doesn't (shouldn't) hurt to ask the sheriff or the police chief a question, but neither of those individuals are the right contacts.

And make them aware of OFCC v. City of Oberlin.
They are aware... I'm doing records requests on the rest of it, but I have gotten forwarded on some of the e-mails between the council, law director, and mayor... they are becoming MORE fully aware each day they do more research lol
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

WestonDon wrote:For what its worth Sheriff Wasylyshyn is very much in favor of concealed carry and firearms rights in general. We have enough enemies to battle. Please do not antagonize our friends.
Agreed. He's a local ham radio operator and I've talked to him once on the radios. I still can't pronounce his name, but he's a great guy and very pro-gun as is many of his deputies, including Deputy Loar, who is in charge of Wood County's CHL applications.

I hope BG city council wakes up and fixes this. Then again, I am moving out soon so I won't have to flip the bill for their stupidity :)
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

ohio boy wrote:I meet a nice young man Sunday at Big Boy who was open carrying. He was with Ohio Carry, NW chapter. He told me that they plan a open carry march through Bowling Green on May 10th.
Whoa! I just checked the university calendar. May 10th is BGSU Undergraduate Commencement. It will be the most insanely busy day of the year in Bowling Green, there will be no place to park anywhere, and for numerous other reasons, doing it on that date would be a monumentally bad idea. However, I do not see that event on the OhioCarry.org calendar, so I don't know if those plans are legitimate.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
ohio boy

Post by ohio boy »

Just a short update. The boys came down on the 10th and walked around down town. No trouble no fuss. Small write up in the paper. Also the city had its first reading to change the local law to make carrying in the parks legal. The Police Chief has known it was legal and had instructed his people not to arrest anyone. Just cleaning up the books I guess.

ohio boy
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

ohio boy wrote:Also the city had its first reading to change the local law to make carrying in the parks legal. The Police Chief has known it was legal and had instructed his people not to arrest anyone. Just cleaning up the books I guess.
Nice work, guys! :D
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.