Cincinnati + SW Ohio Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

Cincinnati + SW Ohio Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Post by BB62 »

https://www.facebook.com/events/269922139835838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This walk will take place around part of the perimeter of the University of Cincinnati, in the neighborhood of Clifton. **This will be a great opportunity to be seen by the public and interact with college students.**

The walk starts at NOON, Saturday April 12.

Long guns are welcome (!!) *with proper muzzle control*, literature encouraged (with/without your group's name), flags (because of overhanging awnings), camo, and grungy clothes discouraged.

Lunch arrangements are in progress, and lunch will take place about halfway through the walk.

A number of business owners have made it clear that they, like the Cincinnati Police Chief, consider the area to be a "target rich environment" for criminals - thanks to the legislated Criminal Empowerment Zone otherwise known as UC.

Please check the forums at OpenCarry.org, Ohioans for Concealed Carry, and Buckeye Firearms Association for more details or updates.

Please sign up on Facebook, or let me know here if you're coming. I'm trying to match up the number of people with an appropriate lunch location.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
BB62

Re: Cincinnati + SW Ohio Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Post by BB62 »

McMillan and Calhoun Streets are now fully developed, and have a great deal more businesses than Google Streetview shows.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Voice

Post by Voice »

It may just be me, but I don't see the starting time on the Facebook event page.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Voice wrote:It may just be me, but I don't see the starting time on the Facebook event page.
Facebook gave me a choice of 12:00 AM and a bunch of other AM times!

But, my initial post as well as the description of the walk on the event page, spells it out: NOON, Saturday April 12.

Of course, my Facebook-fu is not the equal of many out there!

Got Freedom?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I'll be there if I can
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Some more information about the walk/Clifton area:

While the area is not a "ghetto", you can read about the legislated Criminal Empowerment Zone and the surrounding area:

University of Cincinnati student, concealed carry holder NOT ALLOWED BY LAW to carry his firearm, brutally beaten: http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/cin ... s/24649584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I talked with the student who was attacked this past weekend.

but, not to worry, the unarmed "safety ambassadors" are coming: http://www.wlwt.com/news/uc-to-deploy-s ... s/24774864" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here the anchor says “Some students at UC (University of Cincinnati) are so scared of crime they’re now carrying guns…” and in the article posted with the video the Cincinnati Chief of Police says “(The area round UC) is what we call a target-rich environment…”

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/col ... n-students" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From 2005, same old, same old: "Shooting sparks new safety push around UC" http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... 431/-1/all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"We're at the stage now where we're trying to implement a lot of the ideas we've come up with. Those ideas include better lighting, more aggressive policing and an analysis of crime "hot spots."...
"...Crime statistics show that the neighborhoods around the college all have their share of violent crime: 235 murders, rapes and aggravated assaults in Corryville, Avondale, University Heights, Fairview and Clifton from January 2004 through February 2005..."

BOTTOM LINE:

I want you, your friends, interested parties, and members of your or other organizations to attend.

** Parking is on Brookline. **
Ignore the "Permit Needed" signs as they apply only to Monday-Friday. Rallying point is at the intersection of Brookline & ML King.

Got Freedom?

BB62

Post by BB62 »

The concealed carry holder whose attack was mentioned in the first WLWT story wrote a letter to the University of Cincinnati's President, Santa Ono, about the attack, and his frustration with being disarmed by Ohio's laws. It was published in the student newspaper, the News Record. The student will be present for the April 12 walk. His letter was superb and on-point:

"This past weekend, my fiancé and I were on our way home from an engineering banquet at the Newport Aquarium. While walking home from the middle of campus, crossing Clifton Ave. at Clifton Ct. I saw two UC students get chased the other way across Clifton Ave. onto campus by a crowd of roughly 10 African American teenagers who were young high school students. They surrounded one of the individuals and started pushing him around. Having read enough Greg Hand emails, I knew that they weren’t going to leave him alone. I jumped in and tried to separate everyone and in the process was brutally assaulted, kicked to the ground and beaten by more people than I can count while repeatedly told that I “f***ed with the wrong n****rs”. The entire event lasted no more than 30 seconds, and the group of attackers quickly dispersed.

I’m doing well now which I credit to all of the exceptional police officers, firemen and medical professionals that were involved from that point forward in treating me for my injuries, but I’d like to raise a number of questions about safety here at UC. First, the closest blue safety phone was at least 250 feet from the incident, so that was of no help to us. No security cameras were pointed near the incident. The City of Cincinnati has a curfew law which prohibits people under 18 from being out past midnight, but it is not well enforced. The police took five minutes to respond, so we are obviously not protected well by their current levels of staffing either.

To all current and potential UC students: DO NOT BE DELUSIONAL ENOUGH TO THINK THE POLICE OR UNIVERSITY WILL BE ABLE TO PROTECT YOU if something similar happens.

I possess a concealed carry permit which allows me to carry my firearm many places in Ohio, but not on a University campus. I’m trained to discharge this firearm when there is a danger to the life of myself or my loved ones. If the University isn’t going to protect me, then shouldn’t I be given the ability to provide protection for myself? In its motherly attempts to protect us by limiting weapons on campus, the University is making us targets.

Some people say that these perpetrators around campus act irrationally, but I give them more credit than that. They know that by targeting students, it is guaranteed that we won’t have any means to defend ourselves. To me, the choice is clear for the administration. Either provide the safety services that students need or give us the means to do it ourselves.

I know that we are a long way from legalizing concealed carry on campus, so I’d like people to talk more about how the University can better protect us. Proactively police and enforce the curfew law that already exists. Add more cameras around campus so criminals can be caught. Add more officers, some of whom are plain clothed. Create outreach programs at the local high schools to influence those troubled students. Put real money behind these efforts, not just enough to make a headline.

Santa, I know that only the people involved are personally responsible for these tragedies. However, if you and your administration continue to do nothing or make only symbolic gestures then eventually you become guilty by inaction. Until this problem is resolved, I cannot earnestly call UC the #HottestCollegeinAmerica.

Respectfully yours..."

Got Freedom?

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

BB62 wrote:The concealed carry holder whose attack was mentioned in the first WLWT story wrote a letter to the University of Cincinnati's President, Santa Ono, about the attack, and his frustration with being disarmed by Ohio's laws. It was published in the student newspaper, the News Record. The student will be present for the April 12 walk. His letter was superb and on-point:

"This past weekend, my fiancé and I were on our way home from an engineering banquet at the Newport Aquarium. While walking home from the middle of campus, crossing Clifton Ave. at Clifton Ct. I saw two UC students get chased the other way across Clifton Ave. onto campus by a crowd of roughly 10 African American teenagers who were young high school students. They surrounded one of the individuals and started pushing him around. Having read enough Greg Hand emails, I knew that they weren’t going to leave him alone. I jumped in and tried to separate everyone and in the process was brutally assaulted, kicked to the ground and beaten by more people than I can count while repeatedly told that I “f***ed with the wrong n****rs”. The entire event lasted no more than 30 seconds, and the group of attackers quickly dispersed.

I’m doing well now which I credit to all of the exceptional police officers, firemen and medical professionals that were involved from that point forward in treating me for my injuries, but I’d like to raise a number of questions about safety here at UC. First, the closest blue safety phone was at least 250 feet from the incident, so that was of no help to us. No security cameras were pointed near the incident. The City of Cincinnati has a curfew law which prohibits people under 18 from being out past midnight, but it is not well enforced. The police took five minutes to respond, so we are obviously not protected well by their current levels of staffing either.

To all current and potential UC students: DO NOT BE DELUSIONAL ENOUGH TO THINK THE POLICE OR UNIVERSITY WILL BE ABLE TO PROTECT YOU if something similar happens.

I possess a concealed carry permit which allows me to carry my firearm many places in Ohio, but not on a University campus. I’m trained to discharge this firearm when there is a danger to the life of myself or my loved ones. If the University isn’t going to protect me, then shouldn’t I be given the ability to provide protection for myself? In its motherly attempts to protect us by limiting weapons on campus, the University is making us targets.

Some people say that these perpetrators around campus act irrationally, but I give them more credit than that. They know that by targeting students, it is guaranteed that we won’t have any means to defend ourselves. To me, the choice is clear for the administration. Either provide the safety services that students need or give us the means to do it ourselves.

I know that we are a long way from legalizing concealed carry on campus, so I’d like people to talk more about how the University can better protect us. Proactively police and enforce the curfew law that already exists. Add more cameras around campus so criminals can be caught. Add more officers, some of whom are plain clothed. Create outreach programs at the local high schools to influence those troubled students. Put real money behind these efforts, not just enough to make a headline.

Santa, I know that only the people involved are personally responsible for these tragedies. However, if you and your administration continue to do nothing or make only symbolic gestures then eventually you become guilty by inaction. Until this problem is resolved, I cannot earnestly call UC the #HottestCollegeinAmerica.

Respectfully yours..."
There are a couple things in the above letter I find disturbing. For starters there is the question of escalation after he "jumped in and tried to separate everyone", Would that negate his (legal) ability to use deadly force? I don't think I would care to find out. Then there is the whole issue of duty to retreat.

I got the impression the author has given up on campus carry and has resigned to pleading for more nanny feel good measures. I apologize for the harshness of that statement but that was my impression. The fact is that the only way campus carry will ever happen is if it is pushed hard at every opportunity.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JSLACK7851

Post by JSLACK7851 »

BB62 wrote: First, the closest blue safety phone was at least 250 feet from the incident, so that was of no help to us. No security cameras were pointed near the incident. The City of Cincinnati has a curfew law which prohibits people under 18 from being out past midnight, but it is not well enforced. The police took five minutes to respond... "
It sounds like there is a legitimate safety concern here. This situation is not likely to change anytime soon. Has anyone contacted the powers that be, as to why gangs of kids are allowed to attack people?

I'm wondering if, instead of walking around the perimeter of the campus, we take a pointer from our friends in Connecticut and walk right through the center of the campus. An act of civil disobedience, over what I believe is a unconstitutional law which directly violates my God given right to self defense.

The State Constitution guarantees my right to KABA, so does the Second Amendment. Why are these criminal protection zones allowed to continue?

Offer myself up as the test case? I've done so on many occasions. Could you imagine, gun free zones in Ohio ruled unconstitutional? Just a thought.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Citizen of Ohio, United States of America
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

JSLACK7851 wrote:
BB62 wrote: First, the closest blue safety phone was at least 250 feet from the incident, so that was of no help to us. No security cameras were pointed near the incident. The City of Cincinnati has a curfew law which prohibits people under 18 from being out past midnight, but it is not well enforced. The police took five minutes to respond... "
It sounds like there is a legitimate safety concern here. This situation is not likely to change anytime soon. Has anyone contacted the powers that be, as to why gangs of kids are allowed to attack people?

I'm wondering if, instead of walking around the perimeter of the campus, we take a pointer from our friends in Connecticut and walk right through the center of the campus. An act of civil disobedience, over what I believe is a unconstitutional law which directly violates my God given right to self defense.

The State Constitution guarantees my right to KABA, so does the Second Amendment. Why are these criminal protection zones allowed to continue?

Offer myself up as the test case? I've done so on many occasions. Could you imagine, gun free zones in Ohio ruled unconstitutional? Just a thought.
2923.126 Duties of licensed individual.
(B) A valid concealed handgun license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:

(5) Any premises owned or leased by any public or private college, university, or other institution of higher education, unless the handgun is in a locked motor vehicle or the licensee is in the immediate process of placing the handgun in a locked motor vehicle;

Carry a concealed handgun. Repeat, carry a concealed handgun.
3345.011 State university definitions.

State university" means a public institution of higher education which is a body politic and corporate. Each of the following institutions of higher education shall be recognized as a state university: university of Akron, Bowling Green state university, Central state university, university of Cincinnati, Cleveland state university, Kent state university, Miami university, Ohio university, Ohio state university, Shawnee state university, university of Toledo, Wright state university, and Youngstown state university.

State institution of higher education" means any state university or college as defined in division (A)(1) of section 3345.12 of the Revised Code, community college, state community college, university branch established under Chapter 3355. of the Revised Code, or technical college.

"University system of Ohio" means the collective group of all of the state institutions of higher education.

"Member of the university system of Ohio" means any individual state institution of higher education.

The State of Ohio owns all the property that the University of Cincinnati sits on.
Unless someone can show me a law that says you cannot open carry on public property I would like to see it.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Well, c.o.l., I may not speak for everyone, but if you want to take a trot through the middle of campus with your peacekeeper, hand cannon, equalizer, iron, self defense tool, or overly expensive and ornate paper weight, etc, on your hip, I will quietly stand behind you, with a recording device, when the campus police show up. I do not feel it's a great idea, but if you are willing to stake your reputation and be the test case, I got your back*.

Just giving you grief, I appreciate all that you do.

*not to be mistaken for bail assistance or legal fund sponsor! :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

I sense something. A presence i have not felt since...

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

:o

COLOR OF LAW !! You old dog! Who let you in here!

Since I've already open carried onto OSU campus, you Cincinnati-area guys just want a taste of my jailhouse bologna sammich. :lol:

I will be there and I will happily do a little open carry dance on campus grounds (now that I finally paid that outstanding speeding ticket :shock: )
MyWifeSaidYes
BB62

Post by BB62 »

TJW815 wrote:Well, c.o.l., I may not speak for everyone, but if you want to take a trot through the middle of campus with your peacekeeper, hand cannon, equalizer, iron, self defense tool, or overly expensive and ornate paper weight, etc, on your hip, I will quietly stand behind you, with a recording device, when the campus police show up...
I think that CoL and Werz ought to walk, arm in arm (or hand in hand :wink: ) across the UC campus! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Got Freedom?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Looks like I'm going to Cincinnati and recording this
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BB62

Post by BB62 »

WestonDon wrote:...I got the impression the author has given up on campus carry and has resigned to pleading for more nanny feel good measures. I apologize for the harshness of that statement but that was my impression...
I disagree. I think he recognizes things as they are, that being that he's not in a position to fight or flaunt the law, and is saying that the powers that be ought to do something effective rather than leaving students in the hellacious position they've been placed in.

WestonDon wrote:...The fact is that the only way campus carry will ever happen is if it is pushed hard at every opportunity.
I agree, and I think there need to be more campus-proximate OC walks, and Ohio's RKBA groups need to be the drums louder and more often. Simply stated, the student-centric groups, for multiple reasons, are cutting it.

Got Freedom?