Cincinnati + SW Ohio Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BobK

Re: Cincinnati + SW Ohio Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Post by BobK »

dcludwig wrote:... yeah, I'm a lot older than my avatar pic.
'ya think?!!? :mrgreen: :P :P :P :lol:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I recognized dcludwig from his infamous "notification" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
BobK

Post by BobK »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I recognized dcludwig from his infamous "notification" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah yes. I remember the Dayton cop looking like the fool.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

Brian D. wrote:We keep doing these events at various Ohio public universities, and the participation grows, media will eventually be sort of forced to cover the things. Same thing began to happen with those original OC walks circa 2012-13. I'm just a member of the team not the coach, my hope is we put Thee OSU on our short list.
One at a time.

And yes, at some point the media has to take notice. When they do we have to present a clean package for them to open. When the media opens the package and all they see is the Second Amendment, then all there is to report on is the Second Amendment.

If they open the package and see Freddy Krueger, the story will be about Freddy and our message will be lost.

There are some that talk the talk. Saturday 68 people walked the walk. And the beat goes on, yes, the beat goes on.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

There's more than one way to walk. Just because someone has a different way doesn't make their efforts less valuable.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I recognized dcludwig from his infamous "notification" video.

Yeah, that video has an impressive 1.37 million views and growing. I always wanted to ask DC if he's making any money from the high number of views.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Group fails to educate UC community on firearm rights
Nearly 70 people armed with hunting rifles, handguns and assault weapons strolled through the University of Cincinnati’s main campus Saturday. Their mission: inform the public about Ohio’s firearm laws. The problem: very few of the dozens of students and other bystanders showed the slightest hint of curiosity.
“It’s disappointing,” said Jeffry Smith, a firearms activist and instructor who organized the event. “I thought more students would ask questions.”

http://www.newsrecord.org/news/campus/g ... f6878.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Chuck wrote:Group fails to educate UC community on firearm rights
Nearly 70 people armed with hunting rifles, handguns and assault weapons strolled through the University of Cincinnati’s main campus Saturday. Their mission: inform the public about Ohio’s firearm laws. The problem: very few of the dozens of students and other bystanders showed the slightest hint of curiosity.
“It’s disappointing,” said Jeffry Smith, a firearms activist and instructor who organized the event. “I thought more students would ask questions.”

http://www.newsrecord.org/news/campus/g ... f6878.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmm.

Somebody needs to go to 'spin doctor' school.

Actually, it's not a bad article.
Last edited by MyWifeSaidYes on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
MyWifeSaidYes
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Welp, we were wondering how they'd spin it
Now we know,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Ah yes, but where the group supposedly failed, the News Record and the UC "Safety Notice" picked up the slack.
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:...Hmm.

Somebody needs to go to 'spin doctor' school...
Yes, well, clearly I needed this bit of media edumacation. However, I found out at lunch that I was speaking only for myself - the Facebook page and my conversations showed that as the guy usually at the head of the group my experience was definitely NOT representative.

And, whatever education the event purported not to provide, the Safety Notice was no doubt part of the cause of students' nonchalance.

It was history, it was VERY well received, and there was zero police presence except at the rally point, where there was one CPD unit, and ocassionally one UC unit. <yawn>

It was the first, but it no doubt won't be the last walk.

Bottom line for me: it's all good.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Maybe we needed some pizazz added to our group. The 'freshly mugged Bearcat mascot' shenanigan may have done that very nicely.

So, when we head to Theeee Ohio State University, are Brutus Buckeye costumes available for rent or should we get OFCC, BFA, and OCDO to chip in and just buy one? :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Brian D. wrote:Maybe we needed some pizazz added to our group. The 'freshly mugged Bearcat mascot' shenanigan may have done that very nicely.

So, when we head to Theeee Ohio State University, are Brutus Buckeye costumes available for rent or should we get OFCC, BFA, and OCDO to chip in and just buy one? :mrgreen:
No costume? I just KNEW there was a reason (other than my big yapper) that we failed!!

Next time, baby!! :wink:

Got Freedom?

glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I would'nt use the word failure. After all, it was a Saturday...and anyone who has been a student at UC will know that there is very little going on during weekends and holidays. Now, if a walk took place at the same time on a weekday, there have been thousands of students to witness the parade. Isn't it also Spring Break for the students right now?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Joe Sixpack

Post by Joe Sixpack »

Well, In some respect the articles right.

I mean I don't think we failed, But I know I personally only talked to like 4 people.
Of course I was mostly pulling up the rear so maybe someone else got them but I was surprised there was'nt more questions.

The best place was 2 blocks off campus near the business.

Typically we as a group at these sort of events are fairly mild manner and not overly vocal (compared to most other groups)
That means it takes some effort by the bystanders to initiate discussion... I think that's a product of our overall group mentality to not "push" or "shove" it in peoples faces.

I have a few suggestions
Go at a slower pace, break up into small groups (BB tried this actually but it didn't last long), and take different routes so there is no chance of blobbing up.
Have few print out maps of the area and use a highlight the area each group would get a small "territory" as to not have a bunch of overlap.. it wouldn't be a walk so much as canvas, We gotta think like girl scouts selling cookies.
Then talk to EVERY single person you walk by.. not just the ones who ask or look like they might be interested.
Try to start a conversation if they don't' want to have one move on if they do then dig in, have multiple people talking to the same person I know I always benefit in this situation because you can work off each other and if there is something you don't know it likely someone else in the group does.

A startup question for this particular event might have been.. "Do you know about conceal carry and it's prohibition on campus?"
Yes or no it's a foot in the door either way.

Have pamphlets made up with a lot of information, but keep it all very brief, with simple language.
It should be written so that someone who knows nothing would know what it is but not necessarily know all the how's of why it is.
They can go online and look up more information for the areas they're interested in.

Have web address to all the gun orgs, and a brief about each orgs goals.
I might even go as far as to have each of those orgs actually provide their own summery limited to say 200 characters. (maybe less)
have a brief explanation of what open carry is, what conceal carry is, summery of rules/requirements of each.

Leave out ORC language but list the numbers of important ones so they so they can look it up if they want.
I think a lot of handouts have either too little or too much info.. either they leave you scratching your head at what it's about or bury you in details or legal concepts you aren't ready to process on day 1.

Once you have a template leave a section blank so that it can be modified on a per-event basis.. example in this event I was telling people about the assaulted CHL holder and that we ultimately would like CC on campus for everyone.

In hindsight it would have been better if I had talked about crime on campus in general not specific to that one incident because I guess I made it seem like that was the reason we was there (one of our own was hurt).

A summery of what we're there for could be printed in the blank space just incase we're not articulate during discussion.
Last edited by Joe Sixpack on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you can't shoot well shoot often