Cincinnati + SW Ohio Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

Re: Cincinnati + SW Ohio Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Post by BB62 »

glocksmith wrote:I would'nt use the word failure...
Of course you wouldn't, but you don't have an agenda and an event coordinator who fell right into your trap.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

I'm just going to leave this right here.
This article gets it wrong. Sounds like the lesson came through just fine - law abiding people who are lawfully armed do not cause mayhem or disruption to society.
https://www.facebook.com/ConcealedCampu ... 9225932622
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

Ohio Director Students for Concealed Carry
dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

dynamike wrote:I'm just going to leave this right here.
This article gets it wrong. Sounds like the lesson came through just fine - law abiding people who are lawfully armed do not cause mayhem or disruption to society.
https://www.facebook.com/ConcealedCampu ... 9225932622
FYI, I am Assistant Director of PR for the national group.
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

BB62 wrote:
Of course you wouldn't, but you don't have an agenda and an event coordinator who fell right into your trap.
I wasn't trying to start a fight here. I was merely commenting on the fact that the population of campus varies wildly between weekdays/business hours and weekends.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

dynamike wrote:I'm just going to leave this right here...
Thank you, Mike!

You keep reminding me that we are all on the same side.

:oops:
MyWifeSaidYes
BB62

Post by BB62 »

glocksmith wrote:
BB62 wrote:
I wasn't trying to start a fight here...
Nor was I. I knew I should have added a smiley! :D
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

No gloom and doom here... I had fun. :D

I just want to say, Rome wasn't built in a day, we were successful on several levels, and now starts the real work...

Suggestions, a walk once a month, maybe different universities, notice to the university that we will be continuing our walks, perhaps the stopping of notification after that, or let them put out an e-mail every month that open carry is lawful, we have set a precedent now. The groups will be smaller the next time, (it's not new anymore), easier to interact with etc.

Be positive, just ideas..
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

67 people showed up...that's a success. There were no problems with law enforcement or bystanders...that's a success. Everyone seems to have enjoyed themselves...that's a success. Lots of reasons to brand the event a success.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Ooh. How about multiple universities simultaneously? :shock:

Ohio Carry has 5 chapters. OFCC and BFA have members and supporters all over the state.

We could pick one public university in each of Ohio Carry's chapter regions.

Five walks at once. Sounds fun. :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
BB62

Post by BB62 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Ooh. How about multiple universities simultaneously? :shock:

Ohio Carry has 5 chapters. OFCC and BFA have members and supporters all over the state.

We could pick one public university in each of Ohio Carry's chapter regions.

Five walks at once. Sounds fun. :twisted:
Sounds like a plan!

Got Freedom?

Joe Sixpack

Post by Joe Sixpack »

That's a good idea If we can get enough people to goto each.

call it the Buckeye Blitz! :P
If you can't shoot well shoot often
dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
dynamike wrote:I'm just going to leave this right here...
Thank you, Mike!

You keep reminding me that we are all on the same side.

:oops:
I really wish you guys would reciprocate that sentiment.
Mike

dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

glocksmith wrote:67 people showed up...that's a success. There were no problems with law enforcement or bystanders...that's a success. Everyone seems to have enjoyed themselves...that's a success. Lots of reasons to brand the event a success.
I agree 100%. That's the problem with talking to any of the media - they will take the most negative spin they can on anything you say. Why a failure? Because we didn't speak with/convert every UC student? I didn't go there for that reason. With the exception of the one lady who pulled into the driveway, I didn't hear ANY negative comments - in fact, quite the opposite. People cheered us, honked to support us, were very receptive to the walk and a few did ask questions about what we were doing and why.

I suppose it might have been more "educational" if all of us had a pocket full of pamphlets explaining what Ohio Law is and why there is a need for the UC students to be able to defend themselves. Then we could have handed them out to every passer-by and answered more questions that might have been asked.

I guess *my* goal was to support the right of UC students to arm themselves and to show people in the area we where we walked, that gun owners/carriers are pretty much common folk just like they are. There were no confrontations, the lady driver aside, and even she wasn't hostile. Maybe one of us should have agreed to be a human sacrifice and staged an assault on someone so the rest of us could have gunned him down. Then it would have been a "success" to the UC paper.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Great day, guys! Good work!

Please know that, for many of us who were unable to attend, your efforts are very much appreciated.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

^^^Whut he said.^^^

If the ultimate goal is to make carrying firearms a non event then I would say that this was a roaring success. Thanks to all.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member