Central Ohio Police Adapting To 'Baiting' Tactics By The Pub

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Klingon00

Re: Central Ohio Police Adapting To 'Baiting' Tactics By The

Post by Klingon00 »

I remember seeing a few public pronouncements by a few anti-gun groups that they were going to make MWAG calls for every person they saw with a gun regardless of what they were doing at the time.

I wonder at what point the Police might consider making fraudulent MWAG calls 'baiting' tactics to try and use the police as harassers of their political opponents?

Obviously the numbers of people who open carry are relatively small so the number of these fraudulent calls may be flying under the radar since they aren't being posted to youtube.
Splat!!

Post by Splat!! »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
We leave it up to the LEO to tell the good guy from the bad guy.
You are placing more faith in the LEO than I would. They don't exactly have the best track record in categorizing folks as good guys, seems like far too many get put in the bad guy category that shouldn't be. They often default to making the determination of bad guy instead of defaulting to good guy.
I do have faith in the police. The overwhelming majority of LEO's, IMHO, are good people. Seems like far too many get put in the bad cop category that shouldn't be. :P

Having said that, my faith only extends to what I expect of the police. I do not expect them to have psychic powers. They cannot foretell who is and is not a bad guy. They cannot guess when a good guy will turn into a bad guy. They cannot be everywhere all the time.

What they can do is try to start a consensual encounter and see how the OC'er responds and reacts. They can then use their best judgment, based on the training they've received, as well as experience, in determining how to proceed.

Hopefully, their training will tell them when they CANNOT PUSH THE ISSUE FURTHER without seizing and detaining the OC'er. Carrying a firearm is not illegal and therefore should not be used as RAS for a seizure. That's where the LEO's need educated.
Best of my knowledge, wasnt it the battle cry of one anti-gun group....Call police everytime you see a gun, for we dont know if they are good or bad ....Just saying....
"Our government... teaches the whole people by its example. If the government becomes the lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy."
Splat!!

Post by Splat!! »

http://www.examiner.com/article/there-s ... over-there" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a direct link, but gets the point across..
"Our government... teaches the whole people by its example. If the government becomes the lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy."
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:We leave it up to the LEO to tell the good guy from the bad guy.
It seems a number of officers have come up with an easy way to tell the good guys from the bad guys:
If he's a sworn officer with a badge, he's a good guy...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

TunnelRat wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:We leave it up to the LEO to tell the good guy from the bad guy.
It seems a number of officers have come up with an easy way to tell the good guys from the bad guys:
:lol:

Which links should I post for them?

Cops getting charged with and/or arrested for...

...prostitution.
...theft.
...domestic violence.
...murder.
...perjury.
...assault.
...manslaughter.
...dui.
...rape.
...robbery.
...speeding.
...cannibalism.

Okay, that last one happened in Germany, but it was just too weird to ignore.
MyWifeSaidYes
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

TunnelRat wrote:It seems a number of officers have come up with an easy way to tell the good guys from the bad guys:
LoL, that's about it. Anyone who has had any kind of encounter with the police knows that the citizen is the bad guy...and the LEO the "good guy".
At least that's been my experience(s) 8)
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

glocksmith wrote:
TunnelRat wrote:It seems a number of officers have come up with an easy way to tell the good guys from the bad guys:
LoL, that's about it. Anyone who has had any kind of encounter with the police knows that the citizen is the bad guy...and the LEO the "good guy".
At least that's been my experience(s) 8)
Maybe that says more about you than you want to discuss ... :wink:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

This thread, again and again, displays the forum's crying need for a "Like" button. 8)
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Werz wrote:Maybe that says more about you than you want to discuss ... :wink:
Just the vibe I got whenever I've been around them. It's the old "us and them" mentality. Don't forget that, at street level, any citizen is perceived as potentially dangerous. Kind of comes with the job.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

TunnelRat wrote:

Werz, you weren't around on these forums yet like good old Tunnel Rat and I back when the following would happen with some frequency:

We'd get stories, later confirmed, about 'MWAG' calls being made by an off-duty LEO (often from another jurisdiction) that happened to see an open carrier, who was obviously minding his own business and causing no ruckus. The caller would then sometimes stay around long enough to identify himself to the responding officer(s). Based on the incident details that were eventually provided, the off duty guy really didn't have much reason for making the call, and should have known the act of OC wasn't in and of itself a crime, at least not by any state law. I would doubt the caller knew any specifics of local ordinances of the town he was in, one way or another, about a municipal law banning all carry or whatever. (These things mostly took place before ORC 9.68 was enacted, much less upheld by the OSC, so that is possible if not likely.)

For what it's worth I've personally known that open carry is legal in this state since I was maybe 10 or 12 years old. (That's four decades.) I was and continue to be somewhat perplexed by people in the law enforcement profession who claim not to know. Okay, sometimes instead of 'somewhat perplexed' I'm highly dubious.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Brian D. wrote:'MWAG' calls being made by an off-duty LEO (often from another jurisdiction) that happened to see an open carrier, who was obviously minding his own business and causing no ruckus.
Willowick (or one of those eastern Cleveland suburbs), Northwood (by the chief of police himself), Ottawa Hills (off-duty fed),
and don't get BB62 going about Officer Friendly in Cincinnati...
TunnelRat

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

TunnelRat wrote:
Brian D. wrote:'MWAG' calls being made by an off-duty LEO (often from another jurisdiction) that happened to see an open carrier, who was obviously minding his own business and causing no ruckus.
... and don't get BB62 going about Officer Friendly in Cincinnati...
Who made that call :?: :?: :?:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:..."Open carrying is not a crime."...

...Unless you are within 1000 feet of a school....
NOT illegal.

My favorite sparring partner and I will have to take the subject up some other time, probably on another thread, when I'm feeling better.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
BB62

Post by BB62 »

TunnelRat wrote:
Willowick (or one of those eastern Cleveland suburbs), Northwood (by the chief of police himself), Ottawa Hills (off-duty fed),
and don't get BB62 going about Officer Friendly in Cincinnati...
(my bold)

:?: I'm not sure which one you're referring to...?

There was a call about an OCer in Norwood (a city entirely surrounded by Cincinnati), just last year - which I believe WAS made by a detective or off-duty officer.

That OCer/police interaction turned out fine, apparently because the Norwood police had recently received training on open carry arising from the Cincinnati Police Department's staff notes (via the law department) memo on open carry (item #3): http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/lin ... howMeta/0/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

BB62 wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:..."Open carrying is not a crime."...

...Unless you are within 1000 feet of a school....
NOT illegal.

My favorite sparring partner and I will have to take the subject up some other time, probably on another thread, when I'm feeling better.
I do hope you're feeling better soon.

Has Congress repealed 18 USC 922(Q)?

While I agree that it is an unconstitutional law, it's still an enforceable law, isn't it?

It must be enforced by a federal law enforcement officer, or a local officer that has been deputized by a federal LEA. I understand we have a growing number of deputized local LEO's, thanks to agencies like the DEA.
MyWifeSaidYes