Next OC event in SW Ohio?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

Re: Next OC event in SW Ohio?

Post by BB62 »

glocksmith wrote:Please post location details when they become available. I think this is the first event that's been held in my neighborhood, so I'm definitely going to take advantage of it. Might even bring a few others along.
Here you go: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=79458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

April 12, noon

Be there! Aloha!
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Got it. Thanks. Hopefully we won't have a blizzard that day. Normally April is safe - but this clearly isn't a normal year weatherwise.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

BB62,

Thanks for the friendly reminders of the rules. No problem there. Always good to refresh those rules. I was actually looking for what Chuck and Brian related in their posts about proper in public handling and such. I still wonder what people do with their long guns in a restaurant though. Seems I would not want to go on a walk with one and then go to lunch. I would want to maintain control of the rifle so keeping it on me would be the best thing to do. At a table I could not see leaning it up against the table or laying i=t on the floor. Not safe to me even if unloaded.

David
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

Brian D. wrote: And to date I have seen no restaurants in SW Ohio with a rifle rack to accomodate those long guns.
There oughta be a law! :mrgreen:

David
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Flhrci wrote:I still wonder what people do with their long guns in a restaurant though.
Leave it in the car
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

Chuck wrote:
Flhrci wrote:I still wonder what people do with their long guns in a restaurant though.
Leave it in the car
Sounds like the best idea. Least complicated.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Chuck wrote:
Leave it in the car
Along with your favorite questionably-friendly canine..
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Flhrci wrote:BB62,

Thanks for the friendly reminders of the rules. No problem there. Always good to refresh those rules. I was actually looking for what Chuck and Brian related in their posts about proper in public handling and such. I still wonder what people do with their long guns in a restaurant though. Seems I would not want to go on a walk with one and then go to lunch. I would want to maintain control of the rifle so keeping it on me would be the best thing to do. At a table I could not see leaning it up against the table or laying i=t on the floor. Not safe to me even if unloaded.

David
Don't despair if you have a long gun - I'll have one too (a KSG). The various restaurants I've spoken to have safe places for the guns to be laid down, and failing that, there is a open square where you can sit and place your long arm beside you, pointed at the concrete seating or wall you're sitting on. It's all good.

Just pray for good weather.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

BB62 wrote: Don't despair if you have a long gun - I'll have one too (a KSG). The various restaurants I've spoken to have safe places for the guns to be laid down, and failing that, there is a open square where you can sit and place your long arm beside you, pointed at the concrete seating or wall you're sitting on. It's all good.

Just pray for good weather.
That's nice of restaurants to do that. Pretty cool in fact. Still need a gun rack at the door! :mrgreen: After all, restaurants and bars had posts to tie horses to in past years. LOL At least according to Hollywood anyways.

David
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Hmm.

If I were still running a restaurant, I wouldn't have a problem with having a gun rack.

The problem would be security and liability.

What type of rack would you install? What kind of locking system, if any, would you provide? Would you just put an "At your own risk" sign on the rack?

Loaded vs. Unloaded/Unchambered? Would you have each gun owner show clear? Would you monitor the rack? Would you install near the entrance or toward the back?

Too many questions means there's probably too many problems to deal with.
MyWifeSaidYes
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I've seen racks that folks lock their snow skies in, and I've seen lockers at bus stations and airports.
Someone could make a device similar to those that would lock a long gun, or several of them, and for fifty cents or a buck could take the key with them and when they unlock the gun the key stays in the device.
Require them user to stow the gun cleared and you're ready to go.

Now who wants to be the engineer/designer to get rich on my idea?
I call halfsies,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Chuck wrote:I've seen racks that folks lock their snow skies in, and I've seen lockers at bus stations and airports.
Someone could make a device similar to those that would lock a long gun, or several of them, and for fifty cents or a buck could take the key with them and when they unlock the gun the key stays in the device.
Require them user to stow the gun cleared and you're ready to go.

Now who wants to be the engineer/designer to get rich on my idea?
I call halfsies,,,,
Well, I'll add a thought to your idea.. What about a long, locking rack(s) and use it like a coat-check system and the customer could be given a number in exchange for you holding their DL or other ID? Then even if the number was lost, you'd have a good method of identifying the rightful owner. A bonus would be you could get tips like the coat-check girl!
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;