Next OC event in SW Ohio?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fyrfytr310

Re: Next OC event in SW Ohio?

Post by fyrfytr310 »

BB62 wrote:We could split up and go around both sides of the UC campus, and elsewhere...! :twisted: :twisted:
I can see the headlines now:
UC Surrounded by Armed Gunman.
Multiple SWAT Teams Dispatched to Put Down Potentially Violent Insurrection.
Dozens of Activists Bring Clifton to a Stand-Still with Holstered Handguns
:roll: :roll: :roll:
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

April 19 is Patriots Day
That's a fine time for an OC event
I'm having one in Columbus, you ought to have one down there
(And if you don't, come to mine)

https://www.facebook.com/events/218773094976296/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
bridog45040

Post by bridog45040 »

Chuck wrote:April 19 is Patriots Day
That's a fine time for an OC event
This sounds like a heck of an idea.
johnsoax

Post by johnsoax »

April 19th is a Saturday, the weekend before Spring Semester Exams.

I work at UC.
Alex Johnson
Springfield XD-9 Service Model
Blackhawk Serpa Outside waistband
Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC Inside waistband

Freedom is messy. Freedom is unruly, Freedom always has people who make mistakes as well as people who make wise choices. Freedom is an imperfect society, but I'll take freedom instead of tyrants every day of the week. - BobK
BB62

Post by BB62 »

johnsoax wrote:April 19th is a Saturday, the weekend before Spring Semester Exams.

I work at UC.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense, since graduation is the next week.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Cincinnati Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk scheduled for Saturday April 12 or Sunday the 13th.

Long arms welcome with proper muzzle control.

More details to follow later today.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

BB62 wrote:Cincinnati Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk scheduled for Saturday April 12 or Sunday the 13th.

Innocent question here. I do not have a long gun, yet. Could you please define proper open carry muzzle control for those of us not sure what exactly that means? Pointed up, down? wear on back ,etc ,etc???? I think I have a clue, but not sure. Not sure I would open carry a rifle anyways. Big next step for me after getting one first.

Thanks,

David
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

BB62 wrote:Cincinnati Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk scheduled for Saturday April 12 or Sunday the 13th.

More details to follow later today.
The sooner the better on ironing out a day. I have a 22 mile training run one of those days and I would prefer to do it on the day we aren't going to walk all over Cincy :). If it matters my preference would be Saturday. I'm excited already :)
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
xenos

Post by xenos »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! for highlighting that.

I will be out of town that weekend so I can't make it this go around. :(
Let every single step taken in this most intricate affair, be upon the defensive. God Forbid that we should give your enemies the opportunity to saying justly that we have brought a civil war upon ourselves, by the smallest offensive action. ~ William Emerson
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Flhrci wrote:

Long arms welcome with proper muzzle control...
Innocent question here. I do not have a long gun, yet. Could you please define proper open carry muzzle control for those of us not sure what exactly that means? Pointed up, down? wear on back ,etc ,etc???? I think I have a clue, but not sure. Not sure I would open carry a rifle anyways. Big next step for me after getting one first.
No problem, and thanks for asking. (Consider my answer not directed at you personally, but for anyone who just happens to read your query and wonder about gun safety)

First, consider the basic rules of gun handling, for instance: 1) Always treat a gun as if it's loaded, 2) Never point your gun at anything you're not willing to shoot/destroy, 3) Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot, 4) Know your target and what's beyond, etc. There are variations and additions, but those are the basics.

Proper muzzle control means not pointing one's gun, loaded or unloaded (and remember, even if it's unloaded, it's still "loaded") in an unsafe direction - at people or things. If you're at a range, it means keeping your gun pointed downrange to the fullest extent possible. Some ranges have racks where you can place your unloaded long gun pointing upward. Also at the range, one may have to transition one's gun in or out of its storage container, in which case one should point the gun downrange, downward or upward - whatever direction is considered to be the safest. It's all a part of treating a gun as if it's loaded - whether it actually is or not.

On an open carry walk, proper muzzle control means keeping one's handgun holstered, long gun pointed up or down, and not moving one's long gun in such a way (such as while switching shoulders with one's strap) so that the muzzle points in an unsafe direction during the movement. So, transitioning one's long gun from pointing downward to pointing upward, or vice versa, or somewhere in between, is to be avoided to the extent humanly possible.

P.S. - unrelated to OC walks, but what does one do when one is handed a gun? Verify properly, while pointing it in a safe direction, that it is unloaded, then handle it as if it is loaded.

Got Freedom?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

The key to safely carrying a long gun is a good sling.
I've seen ARs and AKs carried both muzzle up and muzzle down, gun in front and gun in back, slung across the body and hanging from one shoulder, the main thing is to have it slung so it is comfortable and so it will stay in place.
I have a Mosin Nagant that I sometimes carry muzzle up with a Gasden flag flying from the bayonet.

If the college crowd attends, expect to see lots of long guns due to the fact that those under 21 can't legally obtain handguns.
Have fun, stay safe, and give us a full report
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Also keep in mind that carrying even a slung long gun becomes problematic if the group decides to have a post-event event such as going into a restaurant and sitting down for a meal. If you leave the rifle/shotgun shouldered, you're going to be a bit rough on the chair and your back. And to date I have seen no restaurants in SW Ohio with a rifle rack to accomodate those long guns.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Please post location details when they become available. I think this is the first event that's been held in my neighborhood, so I'm definitely going to take advantage of it. Might even bring a few others along.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
BB62

Post by BB62 »

glocksmith wrote:Please post location details when they become available. I think this is the first event that's been held in my neighborhood, so I'm definitely going to take advantage of it. Might even bring a few others along.
You'd better!! :D

Got Freedom?

mreising

Post by mreising »

Good luck with the event, unfortunately I will be in CT then.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.