Concealed License holder may come out of the closet

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Milesstoneman

Concealed License holder may come out of the closet

Post by Milesstoneman »

I've been wondering if we should all carry openly. I have never thought it necessary or even reasonable. But I'm beginning to wonder about the need to display my gun and teach others about the
"rightness" of guns in everyday life. I've recently written about it. Just wondering, for now. http://thecartridgebox.com/2014/02/23/t ... -children/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Member
NRA Basic Pistol and Basic Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
http://www.thecartridgebox.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Concealed License holder may come out of the closet

Post by Sevens »

The irony between the title of your thread and the content of the article on the blog... is this intended?

I say...
do what ya wanna do. Just like I believe other folks should do what they wanna do.

But be warned: they'll probably judge you. :P
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Milesstoneman wrote:I've been wondering if we should all carry openly. I have never thought it necessary or even reasonable. But I'm beginning to wonder about the need to display my gun and teach others about the "rightness" of guns in everyday life. I've recently written about it. Just wondering, for now. http://thecartridgebox.com/2014/02/23/t ... -children/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, you should have a choice that does not require a permission slip from the government.

If you are a law-abiding citizen, you ARE allowed to open carry without a permit.

If you are a law-abiding citizen, you SHOULD be allowed to carry concealed without a permit.

Regulating the gun, instead of prosecuting bad actions done WITH a gun, only serves to give police a way to arrest people without them having done any harm.

Just like Ohio's new "hidden compartments" law. Now they can arrest you for NOT having drugs in the vehicle.

No, we shouldn't all carry openly, but we should all be able to do so, if we choose.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

From your blog at: http://thecartridgebox.com/page/4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unfortunately, there are only 4 states in which this is true. In Wyoming, Arizona, Vermont, and Alaska, you don’t need a plastic card from the State to keep and bear arms. In Montana you can carry on the constitution if you are outside of city limits. In Texas you can carry a handgun in your car without State permission.
You forgot about Arkansas.

And what the heck is this?
Here in my home state of Ohio, firearm ownership and open carry of handguns is protected by both the State and US Constitution. But open carry of long guns is not, and you’ll need State permission to carry that handgun concealed. (emphasis added)
Could you please cite your source for this information?

I spent several hours yesterday in Lorain, OH, 180 miles from home, walking around that city with a group of people with rifles and shotguns slung over their shoulders MAKING THE POINT that long guns are MOST CERTAINLY protected by our constitutions.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Oh...and welcome to the forum.

:D
MyWifeSaidYes
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote: I spent several hours yesterday in Lorain, OH, 180 miles from home, walking around that city with a group of people with rifles and shotguns slung over their shoulders MAKING THE POINT that long guns are MOST CERTAINLY protected by our constitutions.

Radical! :mrgreen:

Good job Sir. I looked forward to my first open carry walk. Was figuring it would be sooner than April 19th but that seems to be the only one I know of right now.

I read the OP's writing and have experienced similar questions in my mind until I did a lot more research and reading and have come to the conclusion to exercise my rights and open carry. It hurts nothing and no one despite what a coworker of mine thinks. He has a CHL and I told him a week ago that I open carry now. He chastised me for hurting the concealed carry community. He would not listen to my point of view after I listened to his. So I gave up and won't talk to him about it any more. Might as we'll be a gun grabber.

Anyways, to the OP, I am glad you at least have opened your mind to the possibilities and are exploring it. All I want is for people to have an open mind and consider/respect others opinions, desires and rights.

David
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Should we all be open carriers? Nope. In Ohio, we have choices. I choose, for personal/tactical reasons to carry concealed.
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

Tweed Ring wrote:Should we all be open carriers? Nope. In Ohio, we have choices. I choose, for personal/tactical reasons to carry concealed.
I definitely want the choice. Same as when I ride my motorcycle. I do choose to wear a helmet, but I do not have to. I prefer it that way.

David
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Flhrci wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote: I read the OP's writing and have experienced similar questions in my mind until I did a lot more research and reading and have come to the conclusion to exercise my rights and open carry. It hurts nothing and no one despite what a coworker of mine thinks. He has a CHL and I told him a week ago that I open carry now. He chastised me for hurting the concealed carry community. He would not listen to my point of view after I listened to his. So I gave up and won't talk to him about it any more. Might as we'll be a gun grabber.
I hope you told him about our fine organization before you gave up on him,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

Chuck wrote:
Flhrci wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote: I read the OP's writing and have experienced similar questions in my mind until I did a lot more research and reading and have come to the conclusion to exercise my rights and open carry. It hurts nothing and no one despite what a coworker of mine thinks. He has a CHL and I told him a week ago that I open carry now. He chastised me for hurting the concealed carry community. He would not listen to my point of view after I listened to his. So I gave up and won't talk to him about it any more. Might as we'll be a gun grabber.
I hope you told him about our fine organization before you gave up on him,,,,
Actually I told him at another time prior. I am not sure if he is a plinker or serious carrier. I hardly ever see the guy to even talk to him anyway.

David
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Can you tell us in what way your co-worker thought OC harmed CC?
MyWifeSaidYes
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Can you tell us in what way your co-worker thought OC harmed CC?
He seems to be under the impression that we will scare too many people and they will go after the concealed carriers and put an end to it. I am pretty sure he doesn't get the fact that open carry was legal first.

David