Lorain, Ohio Open Carrier Detained

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pirateguy191

Lorain, Ohio Open Carrier Detained

Post by pirateguy191 »

I believe there will be an event planned in Lorain soon. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btDBMtVv ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Lorain, Ohio Open Carrier Detained

Post by Mustang380gal »

Talk about a chip on his shoulder...

No, I don't mean the cop.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I don't have to tell you who I am! Call my step dad, he'll tell you!!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
DoubleK

Post by DoubleK »

First of all, I support open carry for those that want to do it. I know I'll get flack for this but I also think that there should be a good reason for carrying that AR-15 or any rifle openly. For example, you are walking to the range or gun shop, etc. If you are stopped, then definitely defend your rights but do so politely.

I think those that are purposely trying to poke the bear, like this OP, are doing all of us a disservice. Carrying a rifle down the street will not desensitize the public, it will cause MWAG calls that the PD have to respond to. It will cause more confrontations with PD which could spill over to the next OC person they encounter. Being defiant or mouthy will also be detrimental to the cause.

My $.02, carry what you need to carry when you need to carry and if you get stopped, be nice. Honey vs. vinegar.

Flame suit on,
Dave
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Long arm or not, this kid's approach is idiotic, and although he may have been right on the law, what has he accomplished other than to provide yet another video that certain people can point to and say "HERE are what those open carriers are all about!"?

Given proper educmacation, he MAY become an asset.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Stereotypical "fat cop". :lol:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

DoubleK wrote:First of all, I support open carry for those that want to do it. I know I'll get flack for this but I also think that there should be a good reason for carrying that AR-15 or any rifle openly. For example, you are walking to the range or gun shop, etc. If you are stopped, then definitely defend your rights but do so politely.
Here comes the flak. :wink:

Why should there be a "good reason"?

Should there also be a "good reason" for you to have a CHL? A "good reason" for you to have a gun at all?

This is America, specifically Ohio. No reason needed.
DoubleK wrote:I think those that are purposely trying to poke the bear, like this OP, are doing all of us a disservice.
Nobody was hurt by his actions. The open carry movement is not hurt by the illegal actions of law enforcement. It is a reactive way to find out how an agency treats members of the public.
DoubleK wrote:Carrying a rifle down the street will not desensitize the public,...
Yes, it will, if done often enough for enough people to see it enough times.
DoubleK wrote:...it will cause MWAG calls that the PD have to respond to.
That is fine. That is their job. They simply need to do their job within the limits of the law.

"We got a call about a man with a gun."

"That's probably me. Did your caller complain that I did anything WRONG with my gun?"

"No."

"Have a nice day officer."

Did you see that? We need to make this about the ACTIONS OF THE PERSON and not about the actions of the gun.
DoubleK wrote:It will cause more confrontations with PD which could spill over to the next OC person they encounter. Being defiant or mouthy will also be detrimental to the cause.
That's just a funny statement.

You call it a 'cause', but you want no confrontations and you want no one to stand up for themselves or the 'cause'?

Sounds like winking at a pretty girl in the dark. YOU know what you're doing, but no one else does.
DoubleK wrote:My $.02, carry what you need to carry when you need to carry and if you get stopped, be nice. Honey vs. vinegar.

Flame suit on,
Dave
Here we agree. You CAN be nice while being firm.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Chuck wrote:I don't have to tell you who I am! Call my step dad, he'll tell you!!
Yeah. That was just funny.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

BB62 wrote:... this kid's approach is idiotic ...

Given proper educmacation, he MAY become an asset.
This kid's approach was not thought out at all.

The only lernin' he done got was from Youtube...and it showed.

I've invited him to join the forum.
MyWifeSaidYes
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I saw a familiar looking face down there in the Youtube comments :lol:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

glocksmith wrote:I saw a familiar looking face down there in the Youtube comments :lol:
I have no idea what you're talking about.

:wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Oh, and if you ask me, IMHO neither the "suspect" nor the LEO was acting reasonably in this incident...both parties were a little out of line.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

DoubleK released the flack! :mrgreen:

David
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I have to say something in defense of the cop here. It looks like a MWAG call was made. We don't know the scope of that call. The cop was sent to investigate. I would assume the cop has to report to his superiors the results of his investigation. So what is he supposed to tell his superiors? I attempted to ascertain the identity of the armed subject and he enlightened me on the law re. open carry of a rifle so I sent him on his way? Now I do believe the correct way to investigate this situation would be the same as if the call was to report a suspected DUI. Simply follow him around for a while to see if he does anything to warrant a stop. Considering that OC of a rifle is a much more rare than DUI it is not surprising that most cops have given little consideration of how to handle such a situation. That is not to say they shouldn't be up to speed on this issue, just to say that I understand it.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

One truth about the open carry of long guns:

When I feel that society has sunk to the point where I feel the need to open carry a long gun, one thing that will be certain is what the local PD thinks about that decision will be the least of my worries.

I don't think open carry of a long gun daily is a likely wise decision, but I will defend someone's right to do it.

On the other hand, does an 18-20 year old have a right to lawful self defense? If the answer to that question is yes, then open carry of a long gun is the only way to do that legally assuming that you don't rely on someone gifting you a handgun. Not sure about the age of the man in the video but it appears he may be near that age range.