Lorain, Ohio Open Carrier Detained

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dcludwig

Re: Lorain, Ohio Open Carrier Detained

Post by dcludwig »

I certainly won't make any anti-union statements. Amazing how far their power reaches and their servants will obey. I will keep quiet about them, lest I'll have to check under my wok truck every morning for suspicious wires... There are other means of fighting them, and THAT I won't be stilled from.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The person detained, Aaron Septaric, isn't in a union and he's not going to go after the Lorain PD officers directly.

The problem in Lorain lies in the policies the officers must follow and the training they receive. IMHO.
MyWifeSaidYes
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Training for LEO's is documented, and such documents are public records.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Aaron made the Cleveland news.

"Gun rights activists test police on open carry laws"
http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/20 ... s/6092061/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

<sigh>

Hopefully your advice will dissuade young Aaron from repeating his performance, MWSY.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I call BS on the training officers statement that officers can legally stop a person for the purpose of ensuring that they are old enough to possess the weapon. I'd say that such an excuse was devised after the incident - as a means of explaining away the officer's actions. Using that same logic, they'd have to go around pulling over every young looking person behind the wheel of a car - to ensure they were old enough to operate a motor vehicle. Most of the people who get stopped are obviously well over the age anyway...so what is the excuse for stopping them?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

glocksmith wrote:I call BS on the training officers statement that officers can legally stop a person for the purpose of ensuring that they are old enough to possess the weapon. I'd say that such an excuse was devised after the incident - as a means of explaining away the officer's actions.
The subjective reason for a stop is irrelevant as long as there is a valid objective basis for the same. Sorry, but them's the rules. Whren v. United States, 517 U.S. 806 (1996).
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

USA Today picked up the story and published an article a video?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... rry-omg-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes