"That man is carrying a gun...."

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Flhrci

"That man is carrying a gun...."

Post by Flhrci »

Is all I heard as I walked into Canal Winchester Meijer today. I heard the father tell that to his son as I was goign in the doors. Wow, did my heart rate jump and I got tense!

I was expecting an MWAG situation but nothing happened as I went into the restroom thankfully. It took me around 10-15 minutes to fully relax again. Relaxed meaning fully aware of my surroundings but calmed down.

I think my voice recorder possibly picked it up but it is hard to hear. I was around 30 feet away from them.

Thought i Would share my first MWAG time. Started open carry in November. Took awhile.

David
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: "That man is carrying a gun...."

Post by Werz »

Calm down. It will be OK. The more self-conscious you are, the more noticeable your gun is. Once it becomes like carrying a cell phone or wallet, not only will you be less concerned about those comments, but they will also become less frequent.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Werz wrote:Calm down. It will be OK. The more self-conscious you are, the more noticeable your gun is. Once it becomes like carrying a cell phone or wallet, not only will you be less concerned about those comments, but they will also become less frequent.
We don't even know if it was a negative comment...
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

jabeatty wrote:
Werz wrote:Calm down. It will be OK. The more self-conscious you are, the more noticeable your gun is. Once it becomes like carrying a cell phone or wallet, not only will you be less concerned about those comments, but they will also become less frequent.
We don't even know if it was a negative comment...
Sure don't. I would hope that the kid was asking what the shiny thing was on my side. I forgot to mention I was carrying my stainless Para .45 LDA. We were outside in the sunshine with snow reflection of light.

David
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

Good advice Werz. I am getting used to having the gun on my side. I feel fairly comfy walking around I was just caught off guard I suppose. I am over it. Just wanted to tell my story.

I also carried into a gun-friendly store in Reynolds burg for the first time and felt comfortable there. It was Survival Tactics, gun-friendly to the max anyways. One of the sales guys asked me about my gun and I felt comfortable there talking to him about it. Felt welcome.

David
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Flhrci wrote:I also carried into a gun-friendly store in Reynolds burg for the first time and felt comfortable there. It was Survival Tactics, gun-friendly to the max anyways. One of the sales guys asked me about my gun and I felt comfortable there talking to him about it. Felt welcome.

David
IF you see a guy in there named Zach, kick him in the shins for me,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Chuck wrote:
Flhrci wrote:I also carried into a gun-friendly store in Reynolds burg for the first time and felt comfortable there. It was Survival Tactics, gun-friendly to the max anyways. One of the sales guys asked me about my gun and I felt comfortable there talking to him about it. Felt welcome.

David
That's enough out of you Yosemite Sam.

And yep, Survival Tactics is about as gun friendly as you can get. We probably get weirded out more when someone doesn't have a gun. :lol:
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

Gaspode wrote:
Chuck wrote:

David
That's enough out of you Yosemite Sam.

And yep, Survival Tactics is about as gun friendly as you can get. We probably get weirded out more when someone doesn't have a gun. :lol:
Yosemite Sam! :mrgreen:

I thought about chickening out and not carrying my gun in Survival Tactics but I reigned it in and got up the courage and all was well. Got the AR-15 itch looking at the wall but did not touch one and the wallet survived another day. Some day though.

David
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

OP were you open carrying? If so why did that comment bother you
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

It bothered him because he is BRAND NEW to the idea of open carry.

I used to live in Canal Winchester and have open carried when visiting that store, literally, from the day it opened.

My advice, when you hear something like that, is to continue what you are doing, but turn and smile.

Not an evil grin :twisted: or anything like that. Just a simple smile. :)
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:My advice, when you hear something like that, is to continue what you are doing, but turn and smile.

I nod and tip my hat. Had a couple of old ladies get flustered and hurry away once... :mrgreen:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

true_pair wrote:OP were you open carrying? If so why did that comment bother you
Sure was. Just caught me off guard and did not want a situation to come up. That's all. Still kinda new to this.

David
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

David - you had better watch out...

You keep this OC stuff up, and MWSY is gonna hug you at the next show. :twisted:

Kudos though - it takes some conditioning to not be self conscious when you OC at first. Just like we talk about that first "Wally Walk" when you first start to carry outside your home - you feel like everyone is staring at that 80 lb weight you just know is printing out the shape of a missile launcher on your hip. :mrgreen:
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

JustaShooter wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:My advice, when you hear something like that, is to continue what you are doing, but turn and smile.

I nod and tip my hat. Had a couple of old ladies get flustered and hurry away once... :mrgreen:
Wink, smile, grin, be overly gracious and polite,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

Stryker74 wrote:David - you had better watch out...

You keep this OC stuff up, and MWSY is gonna hug you at the next show. :twisted:

Kudos though - it takes some conditioning to not be self conscious when you OC at first. Just like we talk about that first "Wally Walk" when you first start to carry outside your home - you feel like everyone is staring at that 80 lb weight you just know is printing out the shape of a missile launcher on your hip. :mrgreen:
You just scared me off!!!! NO HUGS!!! LOL

Thanks for the kudos.

David