What kind of environment do you OC in?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: What kind of environment do you OC in?

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

jabeatty wrote:Sounds a bit like you're starting with it covered, and that'd be a no-no, even on your own property. (I could just be misreading what you wrote.)
I think she's saying that's WHY she OC's now, because CC is pointless if it doesn't stay concealed.
MyWifeSaidYes
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Sorry to say that I don't OC at all anymore - except on my land in rural KY. I've seen one too many YT videos of people being hassled by LEO's - and I've got nothing to gain from having the customary 15 minute long cat-and-mouse debate on the sidewalk.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

glocksmith wrote:Sorry to say that I don't OC at all anymore - except on my land in rural KY. I've seen one too many YT videos of people being hassled by LEO's - and I've got nothing to gain from having the customary 15 minute long cat-and-mouse debate on the sidewalk.
That's okay. It's not for everyone.

I have the benefit of having well-trained LEO's in the areas I frequent.
MyWifeSaidYes
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
glocksmith wrote:Sorry to say that I don't OC at all anymore - except on my land in rural KY. I've seen one too many YT videos of people being hassled by LEO's - and I've got nothing to gain from having the customary 15 minute long cat-and-mouse debate on the sidewalk.
That's okay. It's not for everyone.

I have the benefit of having well-trained LEO's in the areas I frequent.

Could that be because of the MWSY training program? :wink:
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

WestonDon wrote:Could that be because of the MWSY training program? :wink:
I wish I could take credit.

Columbus got sued for their invalid laws in 2011. Unlike Cleveland, Columbus actually removed those laws from their books. That required updated LEO training. The CPD is well aware of what's legal and what isn't. Most agencies in the area seem to take their cues from CPD.

The areas to the south and southeast that I meander through tend to be more rural in nature. Open carry is no stranger to them.

Once you hit Athens county, I can't say. I don't have to go that far very often.

With the recent "interpretation" of CHL statutes by the Athens county sheriff, I may have to visit there a bit more often. It might be interesting to see how they treat OC'ers.
MyWifeSaidYes
hutsona

Post by hutsona »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
jabeatty wrote:Sounds a bit like you're starting with it covered, and that'd be a no-no, even on your own property. (I could just be misreading what you wrote.)
I think she's saying that's WHY she OC's now, because CC is pointless if it doesn't stay concealed.
MWSY, you're correct. I learned from my reading here (thanks to all!) that I MUST have my CHL on my person when CC'ing (and I always do), but not when OC'ing. After a couple of rounds in the garden, and finding that I wasn't concealing all that well anyway, I decided to quit risking losing my license in the yard (2+ acres) - and just decided to OC instead. I really wouldn't want to explain to the local sheriff's office about how I found my CHL from the seat of the lawn mower :oops:
...learning new things every day!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

hutsona wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
MWSY, you're correct. I learned from my reading here (thanks to all!) that I MUST have my CHL on my person when CC'ing
Don't forget you need another piece of government issued ID too,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
hutsona

Post by hutsona »

Chuck wrote:
Don't forget you need another piece of government issued ID too,,,,
Thank you. I know (thanks again to the folks on this forum), and I do keep it together w/ the DL, which would make losing it in the yard even more inconvenient.
...learning new things every day!
bearkitty

Post by bearkitty »

I'm a D - suburbs. I frequent Eastgate and Anderson areas mostly. I've been downtown Cincy a few times too.

I have seen a few odd glances in my direction, but no one has ever said one word to me about it. Carry on!
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
Ray

Post by Ray »

That's been my experience as well. The other night after work I went to Chipotle and was OC'ing and there happened to be a sheriff in there. I noticed him go from sitting very casually to standing up stiff as a board, with his arms crossed, as soon as I walked up to order (I'm assuming that's when he noticed my M&P on my hip). I thought for sure he was going to say something to me, but as I turned towards him he noticed my work shirt and just nodded his head.[/quote]

What would he have to say if this place isn't posted? Guess I don't understand his reaction.

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

Ray wrote:That's been my experience as well. The other night after work I went to Chipotle and was OC'ing and there happened to be a sheriff in there. I noticed him go from sitting very casually to standing up stiff as a board, with his arms crossed, as soon as I walked up to order (I'm assuming that's when he noticed my M&P on my hip). I thought for sure he was going to say something to me, but as I turned towards him he noticed my work shirt and just nodded his head.

What would he have to say if this place isn't posted? Guess I don't understand his reaction.

Ray
IF his reaction was due solely to the sighting of gun, then I would question the reaction as well. I'm more of a logic guy. If someone has a handgun holstered on his side and looks like he's in line to order lunch, logic says he's not there to do harm. (Again, IF that's why he stood up and got all official.)

I walked into a restaurant the other day to eat lunch. There was a table full of guys, some in camo pants, etc., most with GUNS ON THEIR HIPS!!!!! Were they there to shoot the place up? Should I keep my eagle eye trained on them? Should I approach them and ask them why they thought they needed to carry guns in a restaurant? Logic said all that was not necessary. They were just eating lunch. Logic was confirmed seconds later by seeing LE vehicles outside.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

WayneB wrote:IF his reaction was due solely to the sighting of gun, then I would question the reaction as well. I'm more of a logic guy. If someone has a handgun holstered on his side and looks like he's in line to order lunch, logic says he's not there to do harm.
I don't think Chipotle is a fair example. All the ones I'm aware of are Class D establishments so it is a felony to open carry there unless you have a CHL.

The courts have generally held that open carry, in and of itself, is not grounds for a Terry stop in states where it is legal to open carry. In Black the state tried to get around this by arguing that felons can't possess guns so they have no way of knowing whether an open carrier is a felon until they do a records check. The court disagreed and said that being a felon is not the "default status." Conversely I'd bet that there is at least as many convicted felons as their are people with licenses. So when you turn the situation on its head where open carry is not allowed unless someone has a license it's probably fair to say that having a license is not the default status. Besides as the Class D statute is written having a license is a defense to an otherwise blanketly illegal act.
meadeam

Post by meadeam »

I thought I saw my first civilian open carrier in the coffee shop yesterday, but alas he turned out to be a cop in plain clothes with a department jacket on, and a badge around his neck.

Still looking for the elusive OC bird...
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

djthomas wrote:
WayneB wrote:IF his reaction was due solely to the sighting of gun, then I would question the reaction as well. I'm more of a logic guy. If someone has a handgun holstered on his side and looks like he's in line to order lunch, logic says he's not there to do harm.
I don't think Chipotle is a fair example. All the ones I'm aware of are Class D establishments so it is a felony to open carry there unless you have a CHL.

The courts have generally held that open carry, in and of itself, is not grounds for a Terry stop in states where it is legal to open carry. In Black the state tried to get around this by arguing that felons can't possess guns so they have no way of knowing whether an open carrier is a felon until they do a records check. The court disagreed and said that being a felon is not the "default status." Conversely I'd bet that there is at least as many convicted felons as their are people with licenses. So when you turn the situation on its head where open carry is not allowed unless someone has a license it's probably fair to say that having a license is not the default status. Besides as the Class D statute is written having a license is a defense to an otherwise blanketly illegal act.
Excellent point I hadn't considered --- but given this particular circumstance, it just felt like the posture was more due to "he has a gun!" rather than "I wonder if that guy is committing a felony?". If the latter, the deputy still didn't approach him. And clearly I am wildly speculating as to what the thought process was (if it had anything to do with the gun at all). The posture may have had nothing to do with the OC'er at all.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

WayneB wrote:Excellent point I hadn't considered --- but given this particular circumstance, it just felt like the posture was more due to "he has a gun!" rather than "I wonder if that guy is committing a felony?". If the latter, the deputy still didn't approach him. And clearly I am wildly speculating as to what the thought process was (if it had anything to do with the gun at all). The posture may have had nothing to do with the OC'er at all.

Remember that Ray said the LEO saw his work shirt.
Ray wrote:...but as I turned towards him he noticed my work shirt and just nodded his head...
So, if Ray wasn't working security, the LEO would most likely have "investigated further".
MyWifeSaidYes