Gander Mountain slight policy change?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Flhrci

Gander Mountain slight policy change?

Post by Flhrci »

Cross-posted to opencarry.org Ohio sub-forum.

I went in to Gander Mountain Gun Super Center or whatever it is called in Reynoldsburg yesterday. Had not been in there for a few weeks. If memory serves correctly, there was a sign in the entrance saying all guns must be cased unless lawfully carried by CCW holders. Now there is a new sign that only weapons like bows and guns being brought in for repair must be cased. I can't remember the exact wording. Should have taken a picture of it.

The old sign also required registration of firearms at the front desk and this appears to be no more. The new sign mentions open carry and concealed carry lawfully. So it seems you can open and closed carry in there but I would appreciate it if someone verifies the way I read the sign to be true sometime. It seems they are becoming more law compliant. Will try to get over there soon and take a picture of it for posting here.

David
jabeatty

Re: Gander Mountain slight policy change?

Post by jabeatty »

Flhrci wrote:It seems they are becoming more law compliant.
Why would you characterize their prior position as being any less compliant with the law?
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

jabeatty wrote:
Why would you characterize their prior position as being any less compliant with the law?
Although not formally mentioned on the original sign, they did not want open carriers in the store by requiring all guns be cased without a CCW permit. At least that was my interpretation of the previous sign.

David
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Flhrci wrote:
jabeatty wrote:
Although not formally mentioned on the original sign, they did not want open carriers in the store by requiring all guns be cased without a CCW permit. At least that was my interpretation of the previous sign.
Do you believe the law doesn't allow them to restrict open carry of firearms inside their store?
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

jabeatty wrote: Do you believe the law doesn't allow them to restrict open carry of firearms inside their store?
I believe they can. I was just reporting what I saw not an interpretation of their previous compliance or non-compliance of the law. Only what was posted previously and now.

David
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Flhrci wrote:
jabeatty wrote: Do you believe the law doesn't allow them to restrict open carry of firearms inside their store?
I believe they can. I was just reporting what I saw not an interpretation of their previous compliance or non-compliance of the law. Only what was posted previously and now.
Fair enough. :)
--
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

jabeatty wrote:
Flhrci wrote:
Fair enough. :)
Thank you. I thought I saw where this was going and was not going to participate any longer if it went there. Didn't wanna argue.

David
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I've never had an issue with open carry at that Gander Mountain, regardless of the wording of the signage.

Basically, if you plan on handling your firearm in the store, check it in.

If your firearm is solely for self-defense, don't check it in and don't touch it (unless needed).

It sounds like the signs have been updated to clarify that open carry is okay there.

As to where this thread was going, the people here DO tend to be picky about how things are worded...and that's a good thing.

When you said "...more law compliant..." you stepped in it, big time. :P

If Gander Mountain said you can't come into their store with a loaded weapon unless it is inserted 3/4 of the way up your rectum, they would be "law compliant".
:shock:

Remember, private entities can restrict our rights as much as they want. It is WE who do not have to patronize those entities. :wink:

Thick skin, man. Thick skin.
MyWifeSaidYes
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I've never had an issue with open carry at that Gander Mountain, regardless of the wording of the signage.

Basically, if you plan on handling your firearm in the store, check it in.

If your firearm is solely for self-defense, don't check it in and don't touch it (unless needed).

It sounds like the signs have been updated to clarify that open carry is okay there.

As to where this thread was going, the people here DO tend to be picky about how things are worded...and that's a good thing.

When you said "...more law compliant..." you stepped in it, big time. :P

If Gander Mountain said you can't come into their store with a loaded weapon unless it is inserted 3/4 of the way up your rectum, they would be "law compliant".
:shock:

Remember, private entities can restrict our rights as much as they want. It is WE who do not have to patronize those entities. :wink:

Thick skin, man. Thick skin.
You are right. I opened myself up. This is one of the most sensitive forums I have ever been on. But that's ok. I will stay. :D

David
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Flhrci wrote:This is one of the most sensitive forums I have ever been on. But that's ok. I will stay. :D
If by "sensitive" you mean "we care about the law and how it's portrayed to those who might not know better," I'll have to agree with you.
--
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

FIhRCI...

Some of us are more critical then others...don't take it personal. :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

I think GM just simplified a policy that was often misunderstood in the past.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I have OCed in that store for years without ever having it be an issue,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

carmen fovozzo wrote:FIhRCI...

Some of us are more critical then others...don't take it personal. :)
Won't ' do, errrrr will do.....dang it! Lol

David
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Flhrci wrote: Won't ' do, errrrr will do.....dang it! Lol
Now you're getting it...! :D
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.