Open carry in "concealed carry no gun zone" with CCW

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dlgeorge

Open carry in "concealed carry no gun zone" with CCW

Post by dlgeorge »

I realize the subject line is a little confusing, but I couldn't think of another way to put it. Here's what I mean.

I live in Michigan just over the state line near Toledo, Ohio, which is where I go for shopping and eating out. In Michigan, if you have a CPL (concealed pistol license) it is legal to open carry in all of the "NO gun zones" that you can't conceal carry in. In other words I cannot conceal carry in a theater but I can open carry legally, if I have a CPL and provided the theater is not posted with the no guns sign.

Is there anything similar in Ohio for open carry, with a CCW, or are the no gun zones listed for concealed carry still the same for open carry? I've provided an excerpt from the Michigan law below.

Thanks,

Michigan:
MCL 750.234d provides that it is a 90 day
misdemeanor to possess a firearm on the
premises of any of the following:
 A depository financial institution (e.g., bank or credit union)
 A church or other place of religious worship
 A court
 A theater
 A sports arena
 A day care center
 A hospital
 An establishment licensed under the Liquor
Control Code

The above section does not apply to any of the
following:

 The owner or a person hired as security (if the
firearm is possessed for the purpose of providing
security)
 A peace officer
A person with a valid concealed pistol license
(CPL) issued by any state

 A person who possesses on one of the above
listed premises with the permission of the owner
or owner’s agent
techguy85

Re: Open carry in "concealed carry no gun zone" with CCW

Post by techguy85 »

sort of.
There are locations where posession of firearms is illegal, open or concealed.
There are locations where licensees get an exception.
There are locations where you cannot concealed carry but in which you may open carry (rare)
Class D licensees, those that allow you to drink is an example. You may open or concealed carry but you may not open carry without a license.
Universities and houses of worship you may not concealed carry but you could open carry (I say could because it wouldn't be a good idea, you'd probably get a chance to pay a lawyer to prove you weren't wrong.)
And so on...
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Unless someone has posted a "No open carry" sign, anywhere you can legally carry, you can open carry.
MyWifeSaidYes
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Unless someone has posted a "No open carry" sign, anywhere you can legally carry, you can open carry.
As long as you have a CHL. Otherwise, places that serve alcohol are a no go.

In a motor vehicle/on a motorcycle is considered concealed no matter what, so you need a license.

Those are the only examples that I'm aware of.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

dangerranger6100 wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Unless someone has posted a "No open carry" sign, anywhere you can legally carry, you can open carry.

In a motor vehicle/on a motorcycle is considered concealed no matter what, so you need a license.

Just a nit here but it isn't that carrying on or in a vehicle is concealed, it is that possessing a loaded firearm in a vehicle is illegal without a CHL.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

dangerranger6100 wrote:

Like I said, anywhere you can legally carry, you can open carry. There are no mandatory concealed-only areas unless a sign is posted to that effect.

And I agree with techguy. I used to think of vehicles as concealing the firearm, but that doesn't work if you are riding a motorcycle or riding in the bed of a pick-up truck (which I do when the whole family goes out). Without a CHL, the proper charge would be improper handling, not CCW.
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

techguy85 wrote:
dangerranger6100 wrote:

Just a nit here but it isn't that carrying on or in a vehicle is concealed, it is that possessing a loaded firearm in a vehicle is illegal without a CHL.
Unless it is on your person (as I recently learned in a thread over on OCDO - thanks Werz!)
R.C. 2923.12. Carrying concealed weapons
(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:
(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance[.]
(C)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(c) A person's transportation or storage of a firearm *** in a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose if the firearm is not on the actor's person[.]
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I used to think of vehicles as concealing the firearm, but that doesn't work if you are riding a motorcycle or riding in the bed of a pick-up truck (which I do when the whole family goes out). Without a CHL, the proper charge would be improper handling, not CCW.
Unless, as noted by JustaShooter, the firearm is transported on your person, whether unloaded or not.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.