OC NEAR a school / property

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: OC NEAR a school / property

Post by Werz »

BB62 wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:And, BB62, if you consider these two things together:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:...They would have RAS because you are in the 1000' limit...

[and]

...Dublin police have proven themselves to not be well-trained on laws regarding firearms...
then expect to be stopped.

I never said it would be a LEGITIMATE stop. Right?
No, but you said that they would have RAS, and I disagreed - and still do.
Your disagreement is noted. Unfortunately, your opinion is contrary to law. Carrying a firearm, openly or concealed, within 1000 feet of a school is a violation of federal law. 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(A), § 921(a)(25)(B). There are a number of affirmative defenses. 18 U.S.C. § (q)(2)(B). However, aside from the private property and locked container provisions [(B)(i),(iii)], none would be immediately apparent to a police officer. Therefore, a reasonable suspicion to detain would exist. United States v. Lewis, 674 F.2d 1298, 1304 (11th Cir. 2012), quoting Illinois v. Wardlow, 528 U.S. 119, 120 (2000).

If Karock is openly carrying a firearm on his own property, under circumstances which make it readily apparent that he lives there, reasonable suspicion to detain probably does not exist; if he is openly carrying a firearm while out walking the dogs in a federally-defined "school zone," that may be enough to constitute a reasonable suspicion. The real issue here is not so much reasonable suspicion as it is jurisdiction. Local law enforcement officers don't have the jurisdiction to enforce that federal provision. However, if he does it often enough - thus scaring the sheep and causing them to fear for their lambs - local law enforcement might call the local BATFE office. By the same token, if Karock has an Ohio CHL, local law enforcement will probably learn that pretty quickly, and thus, they will have notice of the affirmative defense, thereby obviating future suspicions.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Werz wrote:...they will have notice of the affirmative defense, thereby obviating future suspicions.
Unless they WANT to harass him...

...like this poor guy:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/21/v ... tches.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Werz wrote:Your disagreement is noted. Unfortunately, your opinion is contrary to law. Carrying a firearm, openly or concealed, within 1000 feet of a school is a violation of federal law. 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(A), § 921(a)(25)(B). There are a number of affirmative defenses. 18 U.S.C. § (q)(2)(B). However, aside from the private property and locked container provisions [(B)(i),(iii)], none would be immediately apparent to a police officer. Therefore, a reasonable suspicion to detain would exist. United States v. Lewis, 674 F.2d 1298, 1304 (11th Cir. 2012), quoting Illinois v. Wardlow, 528 U.S. 119, 120 (2000)...
After reading the cases you cited, I have to ask: "What kind of game are you playing?" U.S. v Lewis and Illinois v Wardlow have nothing to do with the question of whether a local officer can detain an individual for a potential violation of Federal law which is clearly not within their jurisdiction.

Yet, you assert without caveats that RAS exists - then back off that assertion in your second paragraph (bold and color are mine):
Werz wrote:...If Karock is openly carrying a firearm on his own property, under circumstances which make it readily apparent that he lives there, reasonable suspicion to detain probably does not exist; if he is openly carrying a firearm while out walking the dogs in a federally-defined "school zone," that may be enough to constitute a reasonable suspicion. The real issue here is not so much reasonable suspicion as it is jurisdiction. Local law enforcement officers don't have the jurisdiction to enforce that federal provision. However, if he does it often enough - thus scaring the sheep and causing them to fear for their lambs - local law enforcement might call the local BATFE office. By the same token, if Karock has an Ohio CHL, local law enforcement will probably learn that pretty quickly, and thus, they will have notice of the affirmative defense, thereby obviating future suspicions.
Then you go on to make it clear that the locals might call the BATFE - to do what? Check the legality of the carrier that you assert that the locals have a right to do? Or, in your construct can the locals just detain an individual while they call the ATF and have the ATF tell them "Are you serious????"

Either way, I strongly suggest that you re-read Lopez, http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/93-1260.ZO.html, which made it clear that effect on "interstate commerce" or not, not only was the previous "school zone" law invalid, but it follows that the new, "improved" version would be too - for reasons that Lopez makes clear.

If, after all this you still think that the cops have RAS to check out one's compliance with a Federal law not of their local or state jurisdiction, I'll drop up your way and we'll run it through the courts. Sound like a plan? :roll:
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BB62 wrote:Yet, you assert without caveats that RAS exists - then back off that assertion in your second paragraph ...
I didn't back off anything. For a federal officer, reasonable suspicion exists from the beginning. The second paragraph related to jurisdiction. People who do real legal writing tend to write like that. IANAL(BIPOOTI) types just post lots of eye-rolly icons.
BB62 wrote:Either way, I strongly suggest that you re-read Lopez, http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/93-1260.ZO.html, which made it clear that effect on "interstate commerce" or not, not only was the previous "school zone" law invalid, but it follows that the new, "improved" version would be too - for reasons that Lopez makes clear.
I already deconstructed the Lopez argument which The Paralegal® tried to make in OCDO-Ohio, and suddenly, he disappeared. I won't re-post that here. If The Paralegal® wants to make that argument here, he can do so. I have already confirmed that his departure from OFCC was not by a ban, but by self-imposed exile. If he wants to float the Lopez argument here, he should do so himself and not use you as a proxy.
BB62 wrote:If, after all this you still think that the cops have RAS to check out one's compliance with a Federal law not of their local or state jurisdiction ...
Werz wrote: The real issue here is not so much reasonable suspicion as it is jurisdiction. Local law enforcement officers don't have the jurisdiction to enforce that federal provision.
I figured the extra large font might help you remember what I wrote. It is frequently used in books for younger children, who also like to yell and stomp their feet when someone tells them something they don't want to hear.
BB62 wrote: :roll:
And there it is!
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Werz wrote:
BB62 wrote:Yet, you assert without caveats that RAS exists - then back off that assertion in your second paragraph ...
I didn't back off anything. For a federal officer, reasonable suspicion exists from the beginning. The second paragraph related to jurisdiction. People who do real legal writing tend to write like that. IANAL(BIPOOTI) types just post lots of eye-rolly icons.
BB62 wrote:Either way, I strongly suggest that you re-read Lopez, http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/93-1260.ZO.html, which made it clear that effect on "interstate commerce" or not, not only was the previous "school zone" law invalid, but it follows that the new, "improved" version would be too - for reasons that Lopez makes clear.
I already deconstructed the Lopez argument which The Paralegal® tried to make in OCDO-Ohio, and suddenly, he disappeared. I won't re-post that here. If The Paralegal® wants to make that argument here, he can do so. I have already confirmed that his departure from OFCC was not by a ban, but by self-imposed exile. If he wants to float the Lopez argument here, he should do so himself and not use you as a proxy.
BB62 wrote:If, after all this you still think that the cops have RAS to check out one's compliance with a Federal law not of their local or state jurisdiction ...
Werz wrote: The real issue here is not so much reasonable suspicion as it is jurisdiction. Local law enforcement officers don't have the jurisdiction to enforce that federal provision.
I figured the extra large font might help you remember what I wrote. It is frequently used in books for younger children, who also like to yell and stomp their feet when someone tells them something they don't want to hear.
BB62 wrote: :roll:
And there it is!
And, we also heard earlier that some local officers may have been deputized by federal authorities and thus could theoretically arrest for or investigate violations of federal law, unless this isn't true? Until the law is actually ruled unconstitutional by a court with the authority to do so, saying that it is likely unconstitutional, no matter how much we might agree that it shouldn't be, won't soften the blow any and relying on such would be... Unwise in my opinion.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

techguy85 wrote:And, we also heard earlier that some local officers may have been deputized by federal authorities and thus could theoretically arrest for or investigate violations of federal law, unless this isn't true?
A few weeks ago, I rode with one of them. She's still employed by a local agency, but she was visibly displaying federal credentials.
techguy85 wrote:Until the law is actually ruled unconstitutional by a court with the authority to do so, saying that it is likely unconstitutional, no matter how much we might agree that it shouldn't be, won't soften the blow any and relying on such would be... Unwise in my opinion.
As I said before, I will not re-post my argument from another forum. Suffice it to say that multiple U.S. District Courts and U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeals have upheld the post-Lopez amendment of 18 U.S.C. § 922(q) as being in compliance with the Interstate Commerce Clause.
-- BobK
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

Werz wrote: I already deconstructed the Lopez argument which The Paralegal® tried to make in OCDO-Ohio, and suddenly, he disappeared.
The one constant that can be depended on. He is like an illegal dumper, drops his trash and runs, leaving it for others to clean up.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Werz wrote:...If he wants to float the Lopez argument here, he should do so himself and not use you as a proxy...
I'm no one's proxy.

My offer stands, by the way.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor