any open carriers to Black Friday sales?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bombarde32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

any open carriers to Black Friday sales?

Post by Bombarde32 »

:?:
Just curious: did anyone open carry to a Black Friday sale? (Other than at a gun store!) Or, are OFCC members prudent enough to avoid such madness? I'm sure the media would be salivating at the sight of armed individuals lined up outside Best Buy!
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: any open carriers to Black Friday sales?

Post by Stryker74 »

I fall in that prudent category - I avoid Black Friday, regardless of any perceived deal.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Janae

Post by Janae »

I went to WalMart for some odds and ends, but I skipped the busy times. the Salvation Army lady I talked to going in finally noticed my gun when I was leaving. She said "NOW, I'm scared of you!" (I was holding Connor and Ashtyn was walking beside me) I told her she had nothing to be afraid of unless she meant my kids harm. She shut up.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I don't usually open carry, and definitely wouldn't if I was headed to a crowded event. You have to let too many people get way too close in my opinion.
yogidave

Post by yogidave »

^^^
I dont like people in my "bubble", I would rather wait for cyber monday.
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

Janae wrote:I went to WalMart for some odds and ends, but I skipped the busy times. the Salvation Army lady I talked to going in finally noticed my gun when I was leaving. She said "NOW, I'm scared of you!" (I was holding Connor and Ashtyn was walking beside me) I told her she had nothing to be afraid of unless she meant my kids harm. She shut up.
When I read such statements I then wonder what the state of mind was of the person making the comment.

Was she making a joke? (Smiling at me she said "now I'm scared of you") or was she really scared? (backing away from me and cowering in the corner she said "now I'm scared of you").

If the former, perhaps just a bad joke. Perhaps better to have said "now I feel safer - thanks for caring.". If the latter, then what I really don't understand is how the person makes the logical jump from all is well, to "holy smokes, this guy, that's out shopping with his little kids and around all of these people that haven't been shot yet, is carrying <gasp> a weapon in its holster and now I'm really scared of what he might do". And further, if you really WERE scared of what he might do, why would you smart off or antagonize him?? Logic failure.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

WayneB wrote:
Janae wrote:I went to WalMart for some odds and ends, but I skipped the busy times. the Salvation Army lady I talked to going in finally noticed my gun when I was leaving. She said "NOW, I'm scared of you!" (I was holding Connor and Ashtyn was walking beside me) I told her she had nothing to be afraid of unless she meant my kids harm. She shut up.
When I read such statements I then wonder what the state of mind was of the person making the comment.
Wayne, it's taken me years to categorize such folks, and they don't all fall neatly into my parameters, but...

There seems to be a type of person who feels a need to verbalize about everything around them. Been trying to think of a catchy name but for now I think of the 'You must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle' quote from Groucho Marx. One of my co-workers has this affliction to perhaps the worst degree I've ever witnessed. My responses to him are often just a head shake or nod (if neccessary), at other times I just leave the room without speaking.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I might call them "un-familiars".

As a professional smart-azz, I have to believe this type of comment is meant good-heartedly (unless they start actively ducking for cover), but because they have no familiarity with guns or gun owners, they do not understand what we might consider "bad taste".

"Have you shot anyone lately?" is a comment I got several years ago.

I REALLY wanted to say, "No, but I can put you at the front of the line!"

What I did say was, "No, but I haven't been attacked lately."

What I SHOULD have said is, "Oh, I don't joke about things like that." But I didn't and I won't. Why?

It would completely kill any chance of an open conversation with that person. They would either think you humorless, or they would feel shamed. Either way, they would probably leave you alone. Sometimes that is the desired goal, but you ain't gonna win no hearts and minds that way.

For the "NOW I'm scared of you" comment?

I may have said something like:

"You should be scared of the bad guys, not me."

And then you hope she retorts, "How do I know you're not a bad guy?"

To which you can reply, "Because I'm not pointing my gun in your face, idiot!"

Feel free to replace "idiot" with "Sir" or "Ma'am" if you must.

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

MWSY - You seem to have though through the interaction with others in a constructive manner - kudos!
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Aesinsp wrote:MWSY - You seem to have though through the interaction with others in a constructive manner - kudos!
Thanks. I have to.

If I don't think about what I'm going to say, I get punched in the face...a lot. :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
dlgeorge

Post by dlgeorge »

Similar instance happened to me at the "Fresh food market" at Westgate in Toledo. I was standing at the deli waiting to be waited on, and another customer who was also waiting said jokingly, "I was gonna cut in front of you till I saw THAT", pointing to my gun. We both smiled and I said, "you have nothing to worry about". We talked a little bit about open carry, but no issue was made of it at all.

PS. he did let me go first though! lol.