Is the 'Buckeye Tuck' back?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Is the 'Buckeye Tuck' back?

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The 'Buckeye Tuck' is back!

Not really, it's just something I'm doing. **

I've got a medium weight jacket that, when zipped, hangs about 1" above the bottom of my OWB holster. Since the weather has gotten chilly, I've been zipping up more frequently. I've noticed plenty of folks giving me a look of "I know what that is, dude!" when they spot the leather peeking out below my jacket.

What bugs me are the number of people that seem to be more fearful of a slightly exposed, holstered handgun than an openly carried gun. And this in the same areas that I OC in the rest of the year.

So, I have brought back the 'Buckeye Tuck'. Until the weather forces me into my heavy Carhartt coat, I'm lifting my jacket and tucking it behind my handgun when I'm out in public. It causes fewer 'looks' that way.

Anyone else out there doing cold weather open carry?

(** Ohio law USED to require CHL holders to NOT conceal their handgun while they were in a vehicle. This meant that many would simply tuck their cover garment behind their gun while they were in their car. Doing so, in order to follow this stupid Ohio law, became known as the 'Buckeye Tuck'.)
MyWifeSaidYes
pirateguy191

Re: Is the 'Buckeye Tuck' back?

Post by pirateguy191 »

I just stay unzipped 95% of the time.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

In the car, yes - because otherwise it is hard to get to. Outside of the car, my mid-weight jacket is long enough to cover so I just keep it unzipped for access. Haven't yet decided what I'll do when the heavy coat comes out since it won't allow for the tuck in the car and if I have that sucker on it's likely cold enough I don't want to be unzipped. :shock:
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

For what it's worth I'm the one that coined the term 'Buckeye Tuck' ; something I'm glad went away. Most of my coats are a little long for the Tuck these days but back when it was the law I seemed to use more waist length jackets. If the gun was required to be visible in the car I made sure it was DANG visible. This caused me some tense moments with observant bystanders on the sidewalk when stopped at a red light while in the curb lane. 'Hey man it's da po-po!' 'Hey it's Five-O, let's get outta here!'

Nowadays if I remember to the coat or whatever gets pushed back after I get in the car if the gun's going to stay in the holster.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:For what it's worth I'm the one that coined the term 'Buckeye Tuck' ; something I'm glad went away.
And although we are grateful for your addition to the lexicon, we are more grateful that it went away! (Especially since what I do most likely would *not* satisfy the requirements of the law at that time!)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

pirateguy191 wrote:I just stay unzipped 95% of the time.

Your garage door is open!

:P :D
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Bersa45

Post by Bersa45 »

is the holster the only thing that's expose? :shock:
OFCC member

3 seconds

Restraint when needed and action when required.

"Retreat? Hell, we're attacking in a different direction!" Major General O.P. Smith, November 1950.

Before a government can become a full-blown tyranny, the government must first disarm its citizens. The Founders of this nation, from their own experience, knew that when government goes bad, liberty evaporates and people die ... unless the people are armed. JPFO
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I'm not sure that the gun is the reason you get odd looks,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Lthrnck

Post by Lthrnck »

I'm not quite sure what you mean by..."It's gone away"... I have been BT'ing since 2006. I alway wear waist length coats, light .. middle... and heavy. Have been OC'ing 98% of the time since 2006 also.
the BT is here to stay as long as I walk this earth.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

Today is the 1st time I CC'ed in over a year. It felt as if everyone was staring at me. I did not like it. I think for now on I will be doing the Buckeye Tuck so that I can still open carry like a normal person :D
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This looks like a good thread for me to once again mention the possible fumble hazards of drawstrings on jackets and coats. They certainly don't make getting to the gun any simpler.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Lthrnck wrote:I'm not quite sure what you mean by..."It's gone away"...
I was just referring to the legal requirement to do so while in a vehicle. :P
Brian D. wrote:This looks like a good thread for me to once again mention the possible fumble hazards of drawstrings on jackets and coats...
And to remind everyone to practice their draw technique with winter clothes on.

Put on your heavy winter coat and gloves, then practice your draw (from concealment or open). Unloaded, dummy rounds or dummy gun, please, unless you are on a shooting range.

My gloves fit one gun better than the other, but the one they don't fit is usually in a pocket holster. My gloves have to come off to get into my pockets anyway, so that's the technique to practice.
MyWifeSaidYes
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Brian D. wrote:This looks like a good thread for me to once again mention the possible fumble hazards of drawstrings on jackets and coats. They certainly don't make getting to the gun any simpler.
Toggle coats as well.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Chuck wrote:I'm not sure that the gun is the reason you get odd looks,,,,
<biting tongue>
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.