LEO: "I support the 2A, but..." (Video of open carry stop)

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Klingon00

LEO: "I support the 2A, but..." (Video of open carry stop)

Post by Klingon00 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPB4wAU9Clo#t=636" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not in Ohio, but wow, this one is difficult on so many levels. Open carriers out for a stroll with long guns. Being polite, obeying the law, minding their own business. Police receive a MWAG call...

First the responding LEO threatens this guy with shooting him in the head. Tells him he's a big supporter of 2A, berates the citizen for "hurting the 2A" for exercising the 2A. :roll: Then he starts fishing for any reason to make an arrest.

While I do have a problem with those who open carry with a chip on their shoulder, I feel this LEO was WAY over the line here.

I can even understand the LEO showing an abundance of caution when making the initial contact. However, threats combined with claims to support the 2A while simultaneously demanding this citizen not exercise it. Bizarro land.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: LEO: "I support the 2A, but..." (Video of open carry sto

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Show off ......for the female LEO that seems to be very nervous.....Leo went over board....Did I mention show off...?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Show off ......for the female LEO that seems to be very nervous.....Leo went over board....Did I mention show off...?

Yup, she was amped.
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Whenever someone says "I <insert statement here>, but...", that's your go ahead to tune them out. :roll:
I've had consistently good results with ether.
pistolepete

Post by pistolepete »

Open carry of long arms and recording, hoping to get arrested,hoping for legal payday,looking for 15 min of fame. The cop has a valid point. Too many Yahoos out there are doing more harm than good.Open carry rallys, protests for valid response to an incident where someones rights have been trampled is fine.However too many people are using this right looking for trouble. With all the active shooter incidents occuring it is probably just a matter of time until one of these jokers becomes a real tradgedy.In Texas they are rightfuly waging a campain to be able to open carry handguns more power to them. In states where it is already legal the people who are open carrying long arms just to excercise that right for no other reason than to hope for an incident will in the long run hurt everyone.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

pistolepete wrote:Open carry of long arms and recording, hoping to get arrested,hoping for legal payday,looking for 15 min of fame. The cop has a valid point. Too many Yahoos out there are doing more harm than good.Open carry rallys, protests for valid response to an incident where someones rights have been trampled is fine.However too many people are using this right looking for trouble. With all the active shooter incidents occuring it is probably just a matter of time until one of these jokers becomes a real tradgedy.In Texas they are rightfuly waging a campain to be able to open carry handguns more power to them. In states where it is already legal the people who are open carrying long arms just to excercise that right for no other reason than to hope for an incident will in the long run hurt everyone.
Hoping for an incident?

How about hoping for NO incident?

If it is truly a right that can be exercised, why do you have a problem with the legal exercise of that right?

The persons exercising the right, by definition, are NOT the people causing the problem.

All the police have to do is nothing. If they MUST do something, they can come out and say 'Hello', then go away.

Open carry of firearms is legal in Ohio. Any firearm I can legally possess, I can open carry.

If I have my ATF paperwork with me for the Short Barreled Shotgun I'm carrying, or the suppressor on the pistol on my hip, I can open carry those.

Legally.

The most a LEO should do is check that paperwork. Since these things are illegal without that paperwork, I would be fine with that.

If a LEO sees my handgun being concealed, I would be fine with them asking for my CHL.

To pull their guns on me when I do not have one in my hands is excessive.

To even raise their voices to me is excessive.

To threaten me with bodily harm or death? I should be able to sue them.

Having poor responses from LEOs shows just how badly eroded our rights have become.

The people that are open carrying in states where open carry is legal, such as Ohio, are performing a public service.

While their motives may vary, how would you be aware of the anti-gun attitudes of LEOs and prosecutors without them?
MyWifeSaidYes
pistolepete

Post by pistolepete »

The right to legally open carry a handgun is alot different than trolling Walmart with an AR Camera and an attitude looking for a confrontation. Do we really need to walk down Main Steet with a M1a just because we can?
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
pistolepete wrote:Open carry of long arms and recording, hoping to get arrested,hoping for legal payday,looking for 15 min of fame. The cop has a valid point. Too many Yahoos out there are doing more harm than good.Open carry rallys, protests for valid response to an incident where someones rights have been trampled is fine.However too many people are using this right looking for trouble. With all the active shooter incidents occuring it is probably just a matter of time until one of these jokers becomes a real tradgedy.In Texas they are rightfuly waging a campain to be able to open carry handguns more power to them. In states where it is already legal the people who are open carrying long arms just to excercise that right for no other reason than to hope for an incident will in the long run hurt everyone.
Hoping for an incident?

How about hoping for NO incident?

If it is truly a right that can be exercised, why do you have a problem with the legal exercise of that right?

The persons exercising the right, by definition, are NOT the people causing the problem.

All the police have to do is nothing. If they MUST do something, they can come out and say 'Hello', then go away.

Open carry of firearms is legal in Ohio. Any firearm I can legally possess, I can open carry.

If I have my ATF paperwork with me for the Short Barreled Shotgun I'm carrying, or the suppressor on the pistol on my hip, I can open carry those.

Legally.

The most a LEO should do is check that paperwork. Since these things are illegal without that paperwork, I would be fine with that.

If a LEO sees my handgun being concealed, I would be fine with them asking for my CHL.

To pull their guns on me when I do not have one in my hands is excessive.

To even raise their voices to me is excessive.

To threaten me with bodily harm or death? I should be able to sue them.

Having poor responses from LEOs shows just how badly eroded our rights have become.

The people that are open carrying in states where open carry is legal, such as Ohio, are performing a public service.

While their motives may vary, how would you be aware of the anti-gun attitudes of LEOs and prosecutors without them?
I think what pistolpete is alluding to it those people that open carry (exercise 2a) while recording with the intentions of causing the cops to be called. They are hunting for a confrontation.

Right wrong or indifferent many people have a problem with activists actively hunting for a confrontation no matter what they are supporting.

ETA: pistolpete is evidently a forum ninja. :)
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
pistolepete

Post by pistolepete »

What is a forum ninja?
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

pistolepete wrote:The right to legally open carry a handgun is alot different than trolling Walmart with an AR Camera and an attitude looking for a confrontation. Do we really need to walk down Main Steet with a M1a just because we can?
My mother asked why I should carry a concealed handgun just because I can.

I guess that means nobody should carry concealed...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

pistolepete wrote:The right to legally open carry a handgun is alot different than trolling Walmart with an AR Camera and an attitude looking for a confrontation. Do we really need to walk down Main Steet with a M1a just because we can?
Yes. Yes it does.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
cabelas

Post by cabelas »

You can decide for yourself on where you personally stand on the tactics of these young men, but this was a very effective means of flushing out yet another example of police anger management issues. His chain of command should think long and hard with the behavior of one of their officers. I will be interested to see the rest of the story.

This officer knew the gentleman’s purpose and said as much at the beginning of the encounter. He then felt the need to warn him more than once that they would shoot him in the head if he made any movement that they image to be a threat. He only needed to add that he “wouldn’t have lost any sleep”, and he could get a job in Canton.

I have seen other “encounters” posted to the web over the years, and police professionals know how to manage tense situations regardless of the cause. I assume (hope) that the latter outnumber the former, and the more sensational videos are disproportionately uploaded.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

ohiophotog wrote:I think what pistolpete is alluding to it those people that open carry (exercise 2a) while recording with the intentions of causing the cops to be called. They are hunting for a confrontation.

Right wrong or indifferent many people have a problem with activists actively hunting for a confrontation no matter what they are supporting...

Here is the problem as I see it:

When I drive 60 MPH in a 60 MPH zone, am I "hunting for a confrontation"??

By the comments I'm reading, apparently I am.

Would I react negatively for being pulled over for doing 58 in a 60? You're darn right I would.

If I openly carry a gun in a state or city where it is not legal, THAT is "hunting for a confrontation".

If I openly carry a gun into a store with a "No guns" sign, THAT is "hunting for a confrontation".

In other words, crimes are cause for confrontations, not legal activities.
Doing ANYTHING
MyWifeSaidYes
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

The question is.Did this rifle carrying guy accomplish anything that day ? I would guess no.....Only way to accomplish what he tried to convey is in the legistrators chambers and make it a crime and have stiff penalty for LEO that like to show off..
....Not costing the LEO anything but maybe a warning isn't going to help this cause one bit.....A big fat pay forfeiture would go a long way in solving LEOS that like to show off...IMO
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Oh, sure, the people carrying long guns in Starbucks because they could really helped the cause. Didn't they?

:roll:

Just because it is possible, and legal, doesn't mean it is a good idea at that time or that place.

In a different political climate this may not even be a discussion. Would that we lived in those times, where I could show off my M1A at Starbucks, and no one bats an eye, or calls a cop.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!