LEO: "I support the 2A, but..." (Video of open carry stop)

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: LEO: "I support the 2A, but..." (Video of open carry sto

Post by Werz »

Metal1 wrote:Same reason I fail do identify while Open Carrying. I don't have to.
As long as it's not an NFA weapon. See above.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

At 5:01 good comeback from the "suspect"...it's not a game - it's my right!
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
BB62

Post by BB62 »

It's a shame that this thread has/has been allowed to spiral downward into what has become the standard for OFCC OC threads involving audio/video of police/citizen "interaction" - that is: "OC is stupid" and/or "OC of long guns is stupid".

There has been almost no discussion of the actions of the police, and whether or not they were appropriate or justified.

Just when I thought things were getting better here...

:x
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BB62 wrote:It's a shame that this thread has/has been allowed to spiral downward into what has become the standard for OFCC OC threads involving audio/video of police/citizen "interaction" - that is: "OC is stupid" and/or "OC of long guns is stupid".

There has been almost no discussion of the actions of the police, and whether or not they were appropriate or justified.

Nothing happens in isolation, including the actions of police. Pretending otherwise is just stupid. :?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

As good a time as any to get back on topic!

If a citizen called in a MWAG, I'm okay with the police responding.

I'm not okay with the brute force diplomacy ('shoot you in the head' comments)
MyWifeSaidYes
robkjv

Post by robkjv »

I think the police officer and the entire squad there did an excellent job. No one was threatend in any way. The cop merely said "if" you make move toward your gun, "IF" you did something...that is not a threat, that is a fact of his reaction to your action to maintain his safety. All he wants to do is go home that day.

They were definitely looking for a cop to go crazy, and thankfully they found one with an intelligent thought process, who took some time to try and impart some wisdom to an enthusiastic young "gun loving" generation. I hope they remain focused on the fight for the 2nd Ammendment, but I hope they do it a little more responsibly and effectively.
"Don't Tread On Me"
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Werz wrote:
BB62 wrote:It's a shame that this thread has/has been allowed to spiral downward into what has become the standard for OFCC OC threads involving audio/video of police/citizen "interaction" - that is: "OC is stupid" and/or "OC of long guns is stupid".

Nothing happens in isolation, including the actions of police. Pretending otherwise is just stupid. :?
:?: :?:
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

BB62

Post by BB62 »

robkjv wrote:I think the police officer and the entire squad there did an excellent job. No one was threatend in any way. The cop merely said "if" you make move toward your gun, "IF" you did something...that is not a threat, that is a fact of his reaction to your action to maintain his safety. All he wants to do is go home that day.

They were definitely looking for a cop to go crazy, and thankfully they found one with an intelligent thought process, who took some time to try and impart some wisdom to an enthusiastic young "gun loving" generation. I hope they remain focused on the fight for the 2nd Ammendment, but I hope they do it a little more responsibly and effectively.
So the demand that the individuals stop was okay with you? Do the Fourth Amendment and Terry apply there? How about in Mississippi?

And the detention of the individuals until not only the officer satisfied himself/themselves of their identity but also in engaged in a forced lecture, that's okay too? Silly me - I thought the officers were law enforcement officers, not opinion enforcement officers. :roll:

I too hope these individuals remain focused on the fight for the 2nd Amendment, but with the newfound realization that when you're carrying a long gun, neither the Second Amendment of any of the other amendments apply. :roll: :roll:

Got Freedom?

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

robkjv wrote:...I hope they do it a little more responsibly and effectively.
How were they irresponsible? Who or what was harmed except someone's delicate sensitivities?
MyWifeSaidYes
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Who or what was harmed except someone's delicate sensitivities?
Might the same be said of the officer's comments, which you find offensive, but which were not direct threats?

Or do you only see these issues from one perspective?
-- BobK
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Had dinner with my retired cop friend last night. His son-in-law is a cop, as is his brother-in-law. His son is one of my students. Lots of debate leading up to the grand holiday dinner on the topics of stop and frisk, as well as concealed carry and open carry. The non LEO son has a Republican/Libertarian streak, and holds his own in these arguments.

Last night, I reminded my friend about the Fourth Amendment. Lots. He is a stop and frisk proponent. Conversely, I am not.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Tweed Ring wrote:...Last night, I reminded my friend about the Fourth Amendment. Lots. He is a stop and frisk proponent. Conversely, I am not.
He doesn't believe in Terry either?

Got Freedom?

robkjv

Post by robkjv »

I know it is a slippery slope indeed, but the officer does make an intelligent point. In this day of crazy active shooters - "checking" someone out, taking 5 to 10 minutes out of their life, carrying on a polite conversation - just doesn't seem that harmful to me.

We often "what if and what you do" on this board. So, "what if" it was on video that these two cops passed the gentlemen with the long gun and in the police camera and audio we find that the cop said "Oh well, he's carrying a long gun. Strange, but it is his right." Then, just minutes later, at the intersection, he unloads the long into your car, killing everyone in your family but you. Would you not harbor any ill feelings toward the officers, or would you boldly state: "Well, at least no ones delicate sensitivities got hurt."

Law is the law, and I think all of us on this board are extremely pro gun. However, there has to be a line of common sense safety that is involved and invoked as well. The sticky part of the matter is: who decides what is common sense.
"Don't Tread On Me"
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

BB62 wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:...Last night, I reminded my friend about the Fourth Amendment. Lots. He is a stop and frisk proponent. Conversely, I am not.
He doesn't believe in Terry either?
He understands Terry, but not like I understand it. He supports stop and frisk, while I believe the answer is, rather, always more...more cops, prosecutors, judges, jails, etc.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

robkjv wrote:I know it is a slippery slope indeed, but the officer does make an intelligent point. In this day of crazy active shooters - "checking" someone out, taking 5 to 10 minutes out of their life, carrying on a polite conversation - just doesn't seem that harmful to me.

We often "what if and what you do" on this board. So, "what if" it was on video that these two cops passed the gentlemen with the long gun and in the police camera and audio we find that the cop said "Oh well, he's carrying a long gun. Strange, but it is his right." Then, just minutes later, at the intersection, he unloads the long into your car, killing everyone in your family but you. Would you not harbor any ill feelings toward the officers, or would you boldly state: "Well, at least no ones delicate sensitivities got hurt."

Law is the law, and I think all of us on this board are extremely pro gun. However, there has to be a line of common sense safety that is involved and invoked as well. The sticky part of the matter is: who decides what is common sense.
A wonderful, not on point response, which in addition distorts the reality of what took place.

You were asked specific questions, but it appears by your response that you don't have direct answers - so you dodged the questions. That says a great deal about the strength of your beliefs (and understanding of the law), whether you choose to recognize it or not.

Got Freedom?