Hamilton Police -1

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

Re: Hamilton Police -1

Post by BB62 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
BB62 wrote:...Call me cynical...
You are cynical.

I like that in a curmudgeon!
I'm not a curmudgeon, I'm just experienced and edumacated! :mrgreen:
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Buckeyedoc

Post by Buckeyedoc »

Is this the Kroger on Rte 4 north of High St? My incident isn't firearm related, but fire related. I was the engineer on the engine at the FD one day and pulled in the fire lane while my crew went in to shop for our meals while on duty. I was not in front of the store. I was far enough away not to block the entrance, but was close enough to see my guys when they came out. The manager came out and raised a royal ruckus over me parking in the fire lane. I WAS IN A FIRE TRUCK! We started using Liberty Twp Krogers after that.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

Were you parked in the 'fire lane'?

If Kroger owns the parking lot they can control who uses it and they are not required to be smart about it.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Buckeyedoc wrote:Is this the Kroger on Rte 4 north of High St? My incident isn't firearm related, but fire related. I was the engineer on the engine at the FD one day and pulled in the fire lane while my crew went in to shop for our meals while on duty. I was not in front of the store. I was far enough away not to block the entrance, but was close enough to see my guys when they came out. The manager came out and raised a royal ruckus over me parking in the fire lane. I WAS IN A FIRE TRUCK! We started using Liberty Twp Krogers after that.
This is almost hard to believe! The manager must be a real jerk.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Suckerspawn wrote:Were you parked in the 'fire lane'?

If Kroger owns the parking lot they can control who uses it and they are not required to be smart about it.
If a FD can draft your pond or swimming pool to put out a fire (your structure or not) I think it would be given leeway to park in your fire lane. Perhaps jedi could add to this as far as what emergency services are allowed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Paul wrote:
Buckeyedoc wrote:Is this the Kroger on Rte 4 north of High St? My incident isn't firearm related, but fire related. I was the engineer on the engine at the FD one day and pulled in the fire lane while my crew went in to shop for our meals while on duty. I was not in front of the store. I was far enough away not to block the entrance, but was close enough to see my guys when they came out. The manager came out and raised a royal ruckus over me parking in the fire lane. I WAS IN A FIRE TRUCK! We started using Liberty Twp Krogers after that.
This is almost hard to believe! The manager must be a real jerk.
This is what "zero tolerance" policy mindset will get you. We will be seeing more and more of this foolishness as schools churn out graduates unable to consider the reasons behind rules, regulations, laws.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

After all my years in the fire service, in your position I would have smiled and gone along with the manager, making sure I got his name. Then as soon as I got off work the next morning I'd have chatted up someone at Kroger corporate HQ in downtown Cincinnati about the matter, cordially. Then that person could call up and chew out his store manager like Gunnery Sgt. Hartmann talking to Pvt. Leonard 'Gomer Pyle' Lawrence from Full Metal Jacket. That tactic works so well if you're personally acquainted with any of the honchos of a local company.

As a courtesy many fire departments try not to park right up by the doors while doing shopping for the crew. But really, if we're in the back of the store and have to leave on an emergency, do citizens expect us to run an extra fifty yards or whatever to the far side of the lot? At some of the big stores it could be 100 yards. Not all of us in the trade are twenty years old.

Or, the fire crew in question could have triple dog dared the manager to find someone willing to write them a ticket for parking where they did. Ultimately in an emergency, that lane is supposed to be ours, and folks are supposed to stay out of it as much as possible at all times anyway.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

I would be willing to bet that the mgr didn't know the purpose of a fire lane. Only that it must be kept clear. But I will agree that the zero tolerance non thinking crowd is growing with every graduating class.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Brian D. wrote:...Or, the fire crew in question could have triple dog dared the manager to find someone willing to write them a ticket for parking where they did...
Careful. The manager might know THIS cop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2btoI8P5giI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Fire Lane... depends on the point of view for some...
Out local Home Depot, when spring has sprung, sets up their mulch, fertilizer, mums, gas grills and all the trimmings on and past the stripped no parking fire lane. Well, it doesn't leave room for anyone to park so thats a plus...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I would have to get out a measuring tape, but I think the "fire lanes" I see are frequently too narrow to actually fit fire trucks.

Maybe that's all the closer you are supposed to get to the building when it is on fire?
MyWifeSaidYes
Fyrfightr

Post by Fyrfightr »

The one that was on Rt. 4 north of high street was closed about 10 years ago. They built a new one farther south.
The one in question is on the west side of Hamilton. I park a fire truck in their fire lane every shift I work. Usually we will get one or more runs while trying to get our food for the shift and the employees place our cart in one of their walk ins for us. Both of the Krogers in Hamilton are very nice to the fire crews the frequent their stores.... :D