"Thanks Idiots" re: Starbucks

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Grumpyolddog

Re: "Thanks Idiots" re: Starbucks

Post by Grumpyolddog »

If I'm sitting in a Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts or any restaurant and I see an individual approaching the establishment with a shotgun, AR-15 or any long rifle my mind is going to start thinking a.) Should I start looking for an escape route or b.) Do I need to think about drawing my concealed weapon before this yahoo starts shooting the place up. I don't know he's making a "statement". My first thought is that he's a threat. If these open carry nuts keep it up it's only a matter of time before someone carrying concealed shoots one of them.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Grumpyolddog wrote: If these open carry nuts keep it up it's only a matter of time before someone carrying concealed shoots one of them.
It is possible that scenario could happen.

If it does, I feel bad for the concealed carrier because -- absent other factors -- just open carrying does not justify the use of deadly force and the concealed carrier shooter could (and should) be arrested and charged. A stupid way for a person to ruin their life.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
soberbiker

Post by soberbiker »

I think body language becomes very important in that situation. A rifle slung over the shoulder safely while standing in line isn't going to look too threatening. Now if the person has it slung in front and doesn't take off his sunglasses and or hat while walking in and heads in an unusual direction upon entry. Then I'm getting worried.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I don't care HOW it's slung, as long as it's slung.

It's not my place to restrict his choices. If I'm worried about the person, then it is incumbent upon ME to keep an eye on him.

If so many people think open carriers are doing it for the attention, why not give it to them?

Walk up to the person and ask them not 'why' they are open carrying, but 'what'? Even if you are a weapons expert, ask the open carrier about their firearm(s). Ooh and ahh over it. Don't even bring up the fact that they are open carrying. Make the open carry part a non-event.
MyWifeSaidYes
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

soberbiker wrote:I think body language becomes very important in that situation. A rifle slung over the shoulder safely while standing in line isn't going to look too threatening. Now if the person has it slung in front and doesn't take off his sunglasses and or hat while walking in and heads in an unusual direction upon entry. Then I'm getting worried.
This makes sense. We should not be afraid to "profile" someone, anyone. I am not going on the offensive but my state of readiness may increase or decrease based on the totality of the circumstances.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I don't care HOW it's slung, as long as it's slung.

It's not my place to restrict his choices. If I'm worried about the person, then it is incumbent upon ME to keep an eye on him.

If so many people think open carriers are doing it for the attention, why not give it to them?

Walk up to the person and ask them not 'why' they are open carrying, but 'what'? Even if you are a weapons expert, ask the open carrier about their firearm(s). Ooh and ahh over it. Don't even bring up the fact that they are open carrying. Make the open carry part a non-event.

This tactic may actually be effective on someone seeking confrontation. Nothing irritates somebody trying to pick a fight more than friendliness.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

WestonDon wrote:This tactic may actually be effective on someone seeking confrontation. Nothing irritates somebody trying to pick a fight more than friendliness.
"Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, and a gentle tongue can break a bone."
~Proverbs 25:15
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I don't care HOW it's slung, as long as it's slung.

Heres the problem I have with long guns. Yes, I don't care how it's slung, but at some point you are going to touch that rifle to adjust it. If you are in a UDF and see someone at the counter put their hand on their holstered handgun what are you going to think? Now apply the same to a rifle?
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I've adjusted my holstered handgun forward on my belt so I could reach my wallet.

I don't understand what you getting at.

If it ain't pointed at you, it ain't a crime.

And BB62, I used "ain't" on purpose.
MyWifeSaidYes
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

WestonDon wrote:
soberbiker wrote:I think body language becomes very important in that situation. A rifle slung over the shoulder safely while standing in line isn't going to look too threatening. Now if the person has it slung in front and doesn't take off his sunglasses and or hat while walking in and heads in an unusual direction upon entry. Then I'm getting worried.
This makes sense. We should not be afraid to "profile" someone, anyone. I am not going on the offensive but my state of readiness may increase or decrease based on the totality of the circumstances.
I always profile: people; places; and, situations. It's simply about my safety and survival. I know the time to leave is before something bad happens, and I leave. I don't care who is offended.

Read Gavin de Beker's book, The Gift of Fear. He relates stories of a number of victims who failed to profile. Some of them survived, albeit scared for life. Some of them died, needlessly.

Many years ago, I was involved in a horrible situation, because I did not have the sense to profile and trust my gut instinct. That lesson has stayed with me for decades. It has kept me from being hurt and worse.

Always trust that gut instinct. Always.
Glock513

Post by Glock513 »

The idiot in the Starbucks photo was HOLDING his shotgun in his hands! :mrgreen: . Threat? What if touches the trigger and accidentally blows someone's head off, then it's too late. If I see someone open carrying a long gun, and we're not on base, at a shooting range, skeet shooting competition, etc etc, I'd consider them a potential threat. LEO's don't even open carry long guns for no "valid" reason.
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Glock513 wrote:The idiot in the Starbucks photo was HOLDING his shotgun in his hands! :mrgreen: . Threat? What if touches the trigger and accidentally blows someone's head off, then it's too late. If I see someone open carrying a long gun, and we're not on base, at a shooting range, skeet shooting competition, etc etc, I'd consider them a potential threat. LEO's don't even open carry long guns for no "valid" reason.
Just for the sake of clarity, not to negate your point, Joe: As memory serves that rather famous Starbucks photo was taken in the Middle East somewhere, not the U.S.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Brian D. wrote:Just for the sake of clarity, not to negate your point, Joe: As memory serves that rather famous Starbucks photo was taken in the Middle East somewhere, not the U.S.
Don't know if that's the one he was thinking of or not, but there are plenty of pics of LG OC'ers holding their rifles, having their hands on or near the grip and fingers very near the triggers, etc. I won't post many pics because I could be here all day but here's the best of the best ... several unsecured long guns within easy reach of other customers. For bonus stupid points the selector on the AR at the far left is set to the fire position.

http://lagniappeslair.blogspot.com/2014 ... -they.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Just for the sake of clarity, not to negate your point, Joe: As memory serves that rather famous Starbucks photo was taken in the Middle East somewhere, not the U.S.
Don't know if that's the one he was thinking of or not, but there are plenty of pics of LG OC'ers holding their rifles, having their hands on or near the grip and fingers very near the triggers, etc. I won't post many pics because I could be here all day but here's the best of the best ... several unsecured long guns within easy reach of other customers. For bonus stupid points the selector on the AR at the far left is set to the fire position.

http://lagniappeslair.blogspot.com/2014 ... -they.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And if the shotgun is chambered, those are known for discharging if they hit the floor.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bama.45 wrote:And if the shotgun is chambered, those are known for discharging if they hit the floor.
That is also possible with some rifles. Saw it done for demonstration purposes with an AR-15 many years ago at a firearms training class. Took a firm whack on the back of the butt stock, but it did go 'click' on the second or third try.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.