"Thanks Idiots" re: Starbucks

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bzink

"Thanks Idiots" re: Starbucks

Post by bzink »

http://pistol-training.com/archives/8604" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To all of the in-your-face tough guy Open Carry zealots who held Starbucks rallies such as the one pictured here, thanks.

Thanks for forcing a major, high profile international corporation into choosing between its image and yours.

Thanks for making such complete idiots of yourselves with your “Look Ma, I’ve got a gun and a coffee at the same time!” antics that what had been a nice political win for our side is now a huge media circus about how Starbucks finally said stop bringing guns into our stores.

He's mad. Can't say I blame him, or disagree.
wkdravenna

Re: "Thanks Idiots" re: Starbucks

Post by wkdravenna »

Having a shotgun in there is way to much.

My 870 is pretty, the wood even matches my wood furniture in my house. I show my friends. I'll consider showing a white tail deer in the future perhaps. I just think people at Starbucks don't need to see anymore then a pistol in a holster. I mean that guy in the picture has a shotgun in his hands, really ? That is why, that's to much, that is abusing the neutrality. The way Werz put it a couple times is absolutely right.

Open carry is supposed to show that there is nothing to be scared of seeing people with a firearm..

Carrying you're shotgun like that, scares me. I am not terrified or horrified or scared of guns, I am just saying that is so dumb and seeing' that above picture I understand why the CEO Starbucks is unhappy. A firearm with out a holster !?! Its not a good idea for a private establishment.

That said the guy pictured above may just be taking Joe Biden's advice. :roll:
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Ohio48
*** Banned ***

Post by Ohio48 »

Forcing thing on to people isn't a good way of getting things done.
Mark S.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
-- Thomas Jefferson
Pecker

Post by Pecker »

I posted this on my facebook wall, but here is my analogy re: Starbucks.
My Starbucks analogy :

Let's say for years Starbucks had a "no policy" policy about religious groups meeting at Starbucks. Mainly small groups would meet, buy a coffee and a muffin and do a quiet bible study for an hour. No harm, no foul, plenty of $5 coffees sold.

Some jackass atheists complain about all the bible thumpers. Starbucks points out its "all are welcome policy."

Bible thumpers say, "see, we're all welcome!" They then decide to prove that point that they will hold their Sunday services in the Starbucks. Instead of 5 guys reading a bible together before work on a Tuesday they have 25 people show up, dragging along drums, guitars and set up full on praise and worship service complete with speaking in tongues between sips of Venti Frappes.

Atheist groups meet up outside protesting while waving Flying Spaghetti Monster signs.

Starbucks CEO says, "Screw this, religious groups are no longer welcome to meet in our stores."

If that policy were enacted it would not be an "attack on the 1st amendment."

It would be a businessman saying, "Enough already! Leave us out of it. Would you like some overpriced bitter coffee?"
parbreaker

Post by parbreaker »

Their hand was forced, no two ways about it.

All in all, I think they handled it pretty well and got what they wanted out of it. They said they aren't going to start putting up no guns signs and aren't necessarily going to ask people to leave, but made the statement that guns aren't welcome there. What did that do? It still means concealed carriers can go about their day and even the occasional open carrier with a typical pistol probably won't have an issue, but the people on the far end of the spectrum that forced the issue in the first place (like people open carrying rifles and shotguns without them being properly slung and people inundating stores with open carriers) will get huffy and swear Starbucks off.

In my opinion, I pretty much agree with what they did and think they did it as tactfully as they could have.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

And "Moms against the bill of rights" is calling a win. So yeah for us we showed them...
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

+1
If the rest of the country 'got it' as well as it seems most in Ohio do, we would be light years ahead of where we are. We are still our own worst enemy sometimes.

JLE
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

wkdravenna wrote:Carrying you're shotgun like that, scares me. I am not terrified or horrified or scared of guns, I am just saying that is so dumb and seeing' that above picture I understand why the CEO Starbucks is unhappy. A firearm with out a holster !?! Its not a good idea for a private establishment.

That said the guy pictured above may just be taking Joe Biden's advice. :roll:
If I was sitting at Starbuck's (or any other public establishment, for that matter) and a guy came in carrying a shotgun like that, I would also be more than a little concerned.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

I stopped in at a Starbucks yesterday. I was carrying, I wasn't jumped, attacked or asked to leave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
BB62

Post by BB62 »

All this "We did it to ourselves!!!" is wearing on me.

I don't have anything to prove that assertion wrong, but I just feel that it's being overdone.

While I strongly disagree with the over-the-top (AR's, shotguns, street sweepers, etc.) hardware brought into the liberal-minded business which is Starbucks, I can't get over the feeling that what I perceive to be a few instances of such things is being used to great effect by a) the anti-gunners, and b) Starbucks management.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

BB62 wrote:All this "We did it to ourselves!!!" is wearing on me.

I don't have anything to prove that assertion wrong, but I just feel that it's being overdone.

While I strongly disagree with the over-the-top (AR's, shotguns, street sweepers, etc.) hardware brought into the liberal-minded business which is Starbucks, I can't get over the feeling that what I perceive to be a few instances of such things is being used to great effect by a) the anti-gunners, and b) Starbucks management.
You know where I stand on this stuff BB, but that picture posted above, if not a fake...how many of "those guys" would you want in your business locations all over the place? You already know this, but holding OC events where we're actually going into a restaurant for example--how does the long gun carrier deal with sitting down at the table? Kind of tough on the furniture to just leave it slung on your shoulder.

Attention: Bad humor advisory

Even the old Remington's Road House chain, much to my surprise, didn't have rifle/shotgun racks.

Seriously, making a point has its limits. In Oberlin, because I was alreasy tweaking the locals with my pseudo-hippie costume and those protest-song signs, I believed it wise to leave the verbal back-and-forth to others, like yourself. The dirty looks I got from Bride-of-Frankenstein and a couple of those dippy clergy types, confirmed my thinking.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:I stopped in at a Starbucks yesterday. I was carrying, I wasn't jumped, attacked or asked to leave.
Sure, with that scary face and look, who is going to say anything to you ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
pleasantguywhopacks wrote:I stopped in at a Starbucks yesterday. I was carrying, I wasn't jumped, attacked or asked to leave.
Sure, with that scary face and look, who is going to say anything to you ?
Be careful Open Facing at Starbuck's, PGWP. Next thing you know, the CEO will be complaining about it and we'll all have to Conceal Face. I'm fresh out of hoodies, ski masks, and bandannas. :wink:
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Brian D. wrote:
BB62 wrote:All this "We did it to ourselves!!!" is wearing on me.

You know where I stand on this stuff BB, but that picture posted above, if not a fake...how many of "those guys" would you want in your business locations all over the place?...
I agree, but like I said, IF there were just a few instances of longarm carry, nationwide, I think that a mountain is being made of a molehill - and the other side is expert at that kind of thing.

On the other hand, handling one's longarm in a business establishment is over-the-top stupid and incendiary, and not the focus of my comment.

I don't know the number of either of such instances, which is why I was all "I just feel" in my post about all the self-flagellation.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

wkdravenna wrote: Image
Edit: I was contacted by the individual pictured above. He is in the US Military, and for context, wanted to advise that this photo was taken in a Starbucks in Camp Arifjan, Kuwait in 2005. He did not request the photo be removed, just wanted to add context for this particular photo. -Casey
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB