"Thanks Idiots" re: Starbucks

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: "Thanks Idiots" re: Starbucks

Post by Brian D. »

JediSkipdogg wrote: Heres the problem I have with long guns. Yes, I don't care how it's slung, but at some point you are going to touch that rifle to adjust it. If you are in a UDF and see someone at the counter put their hand on their holstered handgun what are you going to think? Now apply the same to a rifle?
Kevin, I mean this in the most polite manner possible, but...you are outdriving your headlights just a little bit there. Perhaps you need to take part in one of our OC gatherings that include long guns. This stuff can and has been done safely. At the U.C. campus walk we had one participant show up with no sling for his rifle/shotgun. After I explained the potential problems with that he and a friend cobbled together a workable sling, and they got back in time to join in all the fun. He was a newbie to such things, and afterwards thanked me for the patient calm advice I provided.

By the way I long ago lost count of how many times I've seen LEO's touch/adjust their holstered handguns while out and about. Even the very best carry gear shifts around some in the course of a day, sometimes in an uncomfortable manner. Not reasonable to expect that a bit of manipulation of the rig needs to wait until a cop, or other lawful carrier can go off to a secluded spot several feet/yards away, is it?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Brian D. wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:And if the shotgun is chambered, those are known for discharging if they hit the floor.
That is also possible with some rifles. Saw it done for demonstration purposes with an AR-15 many years ago at a firearms training class. Took a firm whack on the back of the butt stock, but it did go 'click' on the second or third try.

Now that you've said that I recall warnings of that in Bootcamp as a possibility... I know for a fact shotguns can discharge if dropped etc... My uncle shot a hole in his kitchen wall when a 12 ga fell off of his kitchen table.... Needless to say, my aunt wasn't too happy with him... She made him remodel the kitchen. :lol:
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote: Heres the problem I have with long guns. Yes, I don't care how it's slung, but at some point you are going to touch that rifle to adjust it. If you are in a UDF and see someone at the counter put their hand on their holstered handgun what are you going to think? Now apply the same to a rifle?
Kevin, I mean this in the most polite manner possible, but...you are outdriving your headlights just a little bit there. Perhaps you need to take part in one of our OC gatherings that include long guns. This stuff can and has been done safely. At the U.C. campus walk we had one participant show up with no sling for his rifle/shotgun. After I explained the potential problems with that he and a friend cobbled together a workable sling, and they got back in time to join in all the fun. He was a newbie to such things, and afterwards thanked me for the patient calm advice I provided.

By the way I long ago lost count of how many times I've seen LEO's touch/adjust their holstered handguns while out and about. Even the very best carry gear shifts around some in the course of a day, sometimes in an uncomfortable manner. Not reasonable to expect that a bit of manipulation of the rig needs to wait until a cop, or other lawful carrier can go off to a secluded spot several feet/yards away, is it?
SO where do you store said weapons while you are eating? Oh.....
....like that you say? I could easily grab two of those if I were the guy in blue in the background. And what are you going to do? Use deadly force on a theft as I'm fleeing? You have a 50/50 shot of winning that one, those aren't odds I gamble with from a fleeing person. And assuming they are loaded (which IMO would be stupid to carry any firearm without it being loaded) then now I have a loaded weapon, grab and shoot. It could be done pretty easily.

And for adjusting a handgun, does anyone take it out of the holster and adjust it? I doubt it. If you do, a new holster is in order. Mine if it needs any adjusting, it's sliding the holster forward or back, I don't even have to touch the handgun to readjust my holster.

MWSY....well, walking around with a Glock 19 in your hand isn't a crime. So try that during the next walk and let me know how it goes. No holster, no rope, no duct tape, just loaded Glock and bare skin of your hand. Or do you prefer to only tape them to your head?

It's all in the image one portrays and also with how other lawful carriers will see you. Otherwise how do you know a criminal from not one? If you wait for them to point it at you, it's too late. If you see them reaching for it, that's the time to reach for yours. And then others will see that and what image does that portray?

Image, image, image....it's all key.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

JediSkipdogg wrote: Otherwise how do you know a criminal from not one?

Same line MDA uses.....
Poop!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

dan dan the XD40 man wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote: Otherwise how do you know a criminal from not one?

Same line MDA uses.....
Problem is, we know a normal person that maintains proper gun control doesn't need to touch their gun. If they do, they need to contact you for a new holster that can properly secure it. Well, I would hope others know that.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JediSkipdogg wrote:...

And for adjusting a handgun, does anyone take it out of the holster and adjust it? I doubt it. If you do, a new holster is in order. Mine if it needs any adjusting, it's sliding the holster forward or back, I don't even have to touch the handgun to readjust my holster.

MWSY....well, walking around with a Glock 19 in your hand isn't a crime. So try that during the next walk and let me know how it goes. No holster, no rope, no duct tape, just loaded Glock and bare skin of your hand. Or do you prefer to only tape them to your head?

It's all in the image one portrays and also with how other lawful carriers will see you. Otherwise how do you know a criminal from not one? If you wait for them to point it at you, it's too late. If you see them reaching for it, that's the time to reach for yours. And then others will see that and what image does that portray?

Image, image, image....it's all key.
WHO said anything about drawing your handgun to adjust it?

A long gun CANNOT be holstered (unless Dan Dan wants to get creative :) ) so it must be carried.

Even ME, the notorious TAPEFACE, agrees that a long gun should be slung.

The picture of the several long guns above is not a problem unless a CRIMINAL tries to steal one.

And yes, the safeties should be on.
MyWifeSaidYes