Age Restrictions for Open Carry

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

Re: Age Restrictions for Open Carry

Post by BB62 »

Werz wrote:
BB62 wrote:
Werz wrote:...I do not think a controversial open carry event is a good place for her to do it for the first time. That provision of law is likely to be interpreted in light of how offensive it is to those who observe it. Consider the density of the "think of the children" sentiment we have heard during the last week, then make your decision.
(my bold)

Kind of like how various anti-gun/anti-rights prosecutors want Inducing Panic or Disorderly Conduct charges interpreted in light of the disgusted and/or fearful reaction of those observing someone OCing?
Not quite. Those statutes do not apply as a matter of law. The clause "except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship" is a jury question. Your risk.
Yes, quite. While legally you may be correct, various municipalities, police departments, and prosecutors have and continue to disagree - by basing stops and/or charges on their interpretation of the law.

No choice, every OCer's risk.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Michael

Post by Michael »

(A) No person shall do any of the following:
(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;
I can only assume this law did not exist in the late 1800s, as Annie Oakley's parents would have been duly arrested.
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Sad news...My son will not be attending the Oberlin meet-up. :cry:

His aunt offered to pay him to watch her dogs this weekend and he jumped at the offer.

It is a valid point that Oberlin might be a rather intimidating event for a first-time OC'er.

Regardless, I now have 2 seats available for carpooling. Anyone need a ride?
MyWifeSaidYes
BobK

Post by BobK »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote: Regardless, I now have 2 seats available for carpooling. Anyone need a ride?
Sure! That would be terrific! I'd love to go!

Can you pick me up?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Werz wrote:I'm going to take the middle ground. I think it's reasonable to allow your daughter to carry a holstered handgun if she is under your direct supervision and always within sight and close vicinity, and allowing her to move around with it holstered is a fair interpretation of "instruction in *** handgun safety, care, handling[.]" R.C. 2923.21(A)(3). I do not think a controversial open carry event is a good place for her to do it for the first time. That provision of law is likely to be interpreted in light of how offensive it is to those who observe it. Consider the density of the "think of the children" sentiment we have heard during the last week, then make your decision.
^^^^
THIS, exactly. While too agree with the sentiments about wanting your child to express themselves and while it MIGHT be legal (depending on the Barney Fifes who attend) is it really the place and time? Not judging anyone and if feel so, then do so. For *myself* I think back to something my Grandpa used to say: "Will this action bear any fruit"? Possibly, yes. But there the potential of it backfiring where a Barney Fife on duty decides HIS interpretation of the ORC is better than yours and makes a public issue of it and THAT becomes what the Plain Dealer, et al, chose to focus on.

I hope this goes extremely well against Oberlin. I wish I could be in attendance. And I thought it really cool to see some youngin' OCing at the PITP. But I agree with Werz - I'm middle ground. I'd feel just as good if the kids were carrying a posters saying "I feel much SAFER" with my dad able to protect me" or something along those lines. Certainly in such a controversial OC - a place where the PD and the other anti-rags would just LOVE to make this an issue other the one you are there for. I want to see you win this battle and then on another day choose to "educate" with them OCing. Just my 2 pennies. Hope it all goes well.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

I've been swayed by the comments here that my daughter should not carry in Oberlin this weekend. We will save the OC experience for a less volatile situation. We'll be there with smiles and a football. Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion here.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

:shock: I can remember growing up and my brother and I going hunting when we were young. I was in the Boy scouts and learned how to handle weapons while in them.

I remember one time we we rabbit hunting in a empty field and the Warren county deputy stopped and asked us if we had gotten anything. I told him no but we were trying. I also asked him about my 22 cal revolver I was carrying as there had been reported that there were poisonous snakes in the area. He looked at it and said that I should get a 38 if I intended on shooting snakes. He told us about seeing some rabbits in a different field but to be sure to get permission first. We thanked him and he left.

We didn't get anything that day and we never did see and snakes. :roll:
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

:D

Here is a young lady with a good point:

http://www.ohionets.com/stuff/oberlin/e ... ar-old.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Let's say there was someone right now who came and attacked us...who would be able to defend us? The people with guns!"

She gets it!