MAIG is coming to Columbus, again, this Friday August 30,

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: MAIG is coming to Columbus, again, this Friday August 30

Post by Pops Fun »

Had a ball this afternoon. Being with like minded people great, having an larger crowd than the opposition..... wonderful!! :D
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Been a busy day - but a great one!

After the outing downtown, the Columbus "team" went over to the Westland gun show to set up the table.

I have some pictures uploading now from the event downtown - I will try to post a link later. (I got 126 unedited pictures today - about 1GB in total size, so they are taking a while to upload.)
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Their count ranged from 6 to 8, but we'll say 10 because we felt sorry for them.

Their 10 to our 100+ (I stopped counting when I hit 100)
Well....now isn't that just fantastic. :mrgreen:
I've had consistently good results with ether.
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

Did anybody shoot video?

Congratulations on overwhelming and "taking over the message" as the news article put it. I think this goes to show what the actual majority of Americans support, and we didn't even have to manipulate statistics to prove it. :lol:
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

Ive got some video but Im out of town until Monday and wont be able to upload it until then.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

It was a great day for freedom in our capitol city!

Thank you to everyone who came!
It's late and I have a big day tomorrow, so I'll try to make a proper write up later

Thank you OFCC for letting me post it here
Somebody already posted the coverage for Channel Ten, so here's the story from Channel Four:

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/23303042/gun ... a-district" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COLUMBUS, Ohio -
What started out as a protest against Ohio Sen. Rob Portman turned into a 2nd Amendment rally in the Arena District Friday.

A small group of people who want stricter gun legislation and increased background checks were greatly outnumbered by an opposing group.

There were five people on one side, and at least ten times that number on the other. The groups debated the gun issue Friday at McFerson Commons Park, a grassy area south of the arch in the Arena District.
My official count was 93
We may have had more, but that is at least a minimum

Thank you all,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Thank you Chuck and the others that showed, including support from BFA. Events like this truly help shape the minds of the fence-sittings. Uphill battle, no doubt, but again, kudos to all who participated. And I appreciate the fairly honest reporting by at least one media outlet. Maybe they're "getting" why they keep losing viewers/subscribers...
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

They are saying that Channel 10's video is their most shared video ever on face book,,,,

http://www.10tv.com/content/sections/vi ... mpid=share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Chuck wrote:They are saying that Channel 10's video is their most shared video ever on face book,,,,

http://www.10tv.com/content/sections/vi ... mpid=share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good work!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Sounds like the rally against Jim Trakas down in Independence that turned into such a disaster for Toby a few years ago. She was outnumbered at least ten to one there too.

How dumb does the "cavalry" have to be in order to repeat Little Big Horn every few years...?
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Chuck wrote:They are saying . . .
Who is "they" and where are "they" saying it?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JustJosh

Post by JustJosh »

I didn't like how they wrote the article, but the video was very well done. Good to finally see it since I can no longer look at flash on my phone! Had a great time and will definitely make sure I make it to more of the rally's!
mreising

Post by mreising »

Sorry I missed it. I had to take my wife back to her family farm in Missouri this weekend.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I counted SIX people from MAIG and 92 people on "our" side. There were a few of us with long guns.

I was a bit late due to my meting running long, I got there about 12:15. Crowded place too! After the interviews I walked post along McConnel Drive for a while with some of the sign wavers, collecting roughly 50% cheery horn honks, high-fives, fist bumps and thumbs-up from drivers.

Kudos to the Columbus PD for their reaction...there were a few officers there but they stayed back away from the event and didn't interact with anyone unless we talked to them first. There were more Arena Security cops there than MAIG people!

One specific officer mentioned that they had gotten calls as soon as the first long-gun OC'er showed up, so they decided to just keep somebody there so that people wouldn't hassle them with phone calls. Told us that CPD on the street was generally universally supportive of what we were doing, our message, and legal CCW.

BB62 and I were talking to one CPD officer (name withheld) : "We want you people carrying, because the bad guys, they are going to carry anyway regardless of whatever law there is."

The Channel Six crew interviewed Chuck. One of their first questions was "Why?" And Chuck very smoothly answered that we didn't need a bunch of out-of-town influencers trying to make our elected representative change his vote to get rid of our freedoms. The news lady told Chuck that there were local people in the protest too...and Chuck came back with "What, ONE person? I think they said one person there is local....well, look how many people we have that are all local against that one person."

And by the end of the event, Chuck was pretty sure he'd convinced the one local person with MAIG to look into getting a CCW license, or at least get into shooting for protection. Cards were exchanged.

I love local activism!

My only 'incident' was when I walked back to the metered parking areas to leave. Went behind the buildings, unlocked my truck, and saw three ladies standing behind the next SUV beside me, one of them made a sort of "Oh!!" sound, "He's got a gun!" put her hand on her mouth and kept looking at me, I nodded, said "Good Afternoon, ladies." and went about my business.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

BobK wrote:
Chuck wrote:They are saying . . .
Who is "they" and where are "they" saying it?
It is listed on their web site http://www.10tv.com/ Right below the poll on the right side. They don't give the metrics or time frame but as of this post, when you click on most viewed or most shared and you get the following

For Most Viewed:
Rally For Gun Background Checks Quickly Becomes Pro-Gun Event

2 Men Found Dead In Burned Car Near Southwest Columbus Apartment

Fiancée Of Motorcyclist Who Lost Leg In Crash Pleads For Driver To Turn Self In

I-71 NB Shut Down In Morrow County

Woman Dead After Crashing Vehicle Into Tree In Marion
Most Shared:
Rally For Gun Background Checks Quickly Becomes Pro-Gun Event

Canal Winchester Contractor Charged For Allegedly Scamming Powell Residents

Parents Say 11-Year-Old Daughter Was Driven To Suicide Because Of Bullying

Bison Arrives To Ohio Park To Make Bison Babies
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.