Open or concealed carry on a motorcycle ?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OhioPaints

Re: Open or concealed carry on a motorcycle ?

Post by OhioPaints »

When I ride to work daily I nearly get killed at least once nearly every day, :roll:
Seriously, perhaps you should consider some changes. Motorcycle crashes are not good. If you are riding in an environment that bad, I suggest you find some alternatives. It's not worth it.
If I were to open carry on the bike I'd want some type of Level II retention holster as a minimum.
Why?
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

:lol: I OC on my bike all the time!

Sometime I will wear a jacket but it really does not cover my weapon. I do not concern myself with what the cage drivers will do if they see my weapon because most of the time they DO NOT SEE ME at all! :twisted:
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
Flhrci

Post by Flhrci »

I definitely am not giving up riding. It has been an important part of my life for 23 years now. But some of you don't get the picture that here in Columbus, cagers don't see motorcycles and probably even other cars. They are too busy worrying about themselves. Cell phone conversations are common enough and noticeable. I have not noticed any one texting but the news channels say it is happening.

Although illegal, it is the norm for at least 2 cars to go through a yellow light and I have seen as many as 4-5 go through even though my light was green. They love to make left turns in font of motorcycles. And several times over a few years someone has pulled onto the two-lane road I was on out of their neighborhood from the left side without even stopping to look and turned left in front of me nearly hitting me. Why stop at an intersection and look any more? My point is here in Columbus, some people drive however they want to. Racing past you to get in front of you and then quickly getting up to a light rings a bell. The guy that is speeding really fast weaving into and out of other lanes on the freeway. These are the "privileged" ones that the laws do not apply to.

Not riding any more would allow them to win the battle and I would suffer for it.

Anyway, I am glad that people open carry on their motorcycles. it would seem to not be a big deal. When the weather gets better and clothing permits I will give it a shot. My cold weather gear would not permit open carry of a holster without a thigh holster. No belt loops.

David
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

OhioPaints wrote:
Tru-Heathen wrote : If I were to open carry on the bike I'd want some type of Level II retention holster as a minimum.
Why?

Mainly for weapon retention in the event of an accidental "dismount". If a motorcyclist is thrown from the bike,keeping the handgun from sailing off into the ether would be a concern.
Last edited by Tru-Heathen on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Flhrci wrote:I definitely am not giving up riding. It has been an important part of my life for 23 years now...

Mine also. Started with a '74 H-D FX in 1974,haven't been without some type of bike in all that time.

Lost more than a few people to cage drivers,hasn't dampened my desire to ride..
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

I carry concealed, IWB ...... but if often shows while riding.
I have ridden since '62 with a 10 year break after my bike was hit head on by a cage.
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
tbrew85 wrote:...
At the risk of sounding like a richard; If thats the case, you should hang up riding because you are obviously putting yourself in very dangerous situations. Ive been riding for many years and Ive had a few close calls, but because I do my best to drive defensively, and keep myself out of dangerous situations, those close calls are a rarity.
Come up and ride in Columbus for a few weeks, THEN pass judgment.

Cagers up here cause many cases of lethal left-turn-itis.
I've ridden in about 30 states and a few "big cities" including Columbus on many occasions. "Cagers" aren't any worse in Columbus than they are in Cincinnati, Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Miami, D.C. or any other major city I've ridden in. If you are on a bike and you aren't paying attention you'll find yourself in trouble even in Amish country. My point is, he said he is almost killed "daily" while riding. If I did ANYTHING where I was "almost killed" daily, I would cease that activity.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Just for devil's advocate's sake... But, the statutes below if strictly/grammatically read would only apply to a motorcycle for part (A). ie they specify in or on. Parts (B) and (C) specifically say "in" with no mention of "on". So... who wants to spend the big bucks and toss their weasel words back at them? :mrgreen: We know their intent and enforcement includes while on a motorcycle as that is included under the definition of a motor vehicle. But, it would still be fun to see someone make a good argument that they were not "in" a motor vehicle while OC'ing without a CHL while "on" a motor cycle. IANAL so I'm sure there are a hundred references to ORC that cause this to apply while "on" a motor cycle. But the only one I found was the reference to motor vehicle definitions which lumps motor cycles in with cars/trucks/etc. After all "in" and "on" are two different words with two very different meanings.
hank.forker wrote: 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

I have long agreed that I cannot fit "into" my motorcycle, that darn 6" tool kit box is just too small.

However, I've been told that there is case law which extends the "in" to "on" for a mc/