Crossing into the open carry world.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tweed Ring

Re: Crossing into the open carry world.

Post by Tweed Ring »

Chuck wrote:I don't know about you guys, but there ain't no way I'm sticking a ferret down MY pants,,,,
Read that some Brits were trying to revive their old sport of "Ferret Legging." I don't trust ferrets, nor like them that much, to shove one or two down into my pants.
eugene

Post by eugene »

How exactly do they check the capacity of the ferret to ensure its legal when entering NY?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

DC and NY don't allow ferrets because of all the other weasels running those cities.

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

All I gotta say is that he better have a license for those things...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

It's good to see so much effort ferreting out the details. 8)
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Aren't ferrets actually illegal in some states? Now that the thread is completely derailed...
The first and only time I went deer hunting was near Tawas City in MI. My brother and I stayed at my cousin's house who had a couple of ferrets at the time. No were no spare beds and my brother claimed the couch so I slept on the floor. I awoke around 2am to see a ferret about 3 inches from my nose. Scared the crap out of me. Cute creatures, but they do seem "sneaky".

Ah, just found my answer on Wikianswers:
In the United States, ferrets are illegal in California and Hawaii, and in New York City, New York.

The reason ferrets are illegal in some states or cities in the U S - government officials claim that if ferrets are released into the wild, they will establish feral colonies, and prey upon native species. They often cite the problems in New Zealand and Australia with ferrets in the wild preying upon native species causing them to become close to extinction. These ferrets were hybrids between polecats and ferrets mating, that enabled them to survive in the wild. The fact is that domesticated ferrets cannot live on their own in the wild for more than a few days, they have lost any natural instinct to survive on their own, and the ferrets purchased from a pet store are already neutered.
I think Bloomberg made them illegal in NYC because they were harassing the rats.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
centermass

Post by centermass »

So have the best of both. Open carry with ferret holsters.
Thy rod and thy staff and thy .357, they comfort me.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Ferret open carry in a movie theater:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFcHhwKqy3o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

Sounds about right to me.

When I started OC'ing there was still a lot of LEO resistance and even a lot of flack from CC,ers.

Things have improved a lot and I'm glad.

Best of luck to you.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

gaptrick.....love the avatar.
LowTrunkOzz

Post by LowTrunkOzz »

rottman43055 wrote:Sounds about right to me.

When I started OC'ing there was still a lot of LEO resistance and even a lot of flack from CC,ers.

Things have improved a lot and I'm glad.

Best of luck to you.
I'm not an OC'er, and there's no good reason I can give, but talking to our county sheriff, he says he's open to it since it's allowed by law, BUT I have heard numerous times that a neighboring county's (Defiance) sheriff is vehemently opposed and threatens Inciting Panic and/or Disorderly Conduct charges for anyone carrying. I haven't personally looked into it, but unfortunately, not all counties are as nice as yours!

Like others, I appreciate the opportunity to OC, I just prefer CC. For now....

nate
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

LowTrunkOzz wrote:a neighboring county's (Defiance) sheriff is vehemently opposed and threatens Inciting Panic and/or Disorderly Conduct charges for anyone carrying.
What an appropriate name for this fair County...
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
LowTrunkOzz

Post by LowTrunkOzz »

My post sparked my desire for an answer, so I just e-mailed both the Sheriff and the Deputy Chief of Police....I'll update with their responses.

nate
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

LowTrunkOzz wrote:My post sparked my desire for an answer, so I just e-mailed both the Sheriff and the Deputy Chief of Police....I'll update with their responses...
Trunk, feel free to post the emails that you send. It's a great way for others to learn how and what to say to and ask of our public servants.
MyWifeSaidYes
LowTrunkOzz

Post by LowTrunkOzz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
LowTrunkOzz wrote:My post sparked my desire for an answer, so I just e-mailed both the Sheriff and the Deputy Chief of Police....I'll update with their responses...
Trunk, feel free to post the emails that you send. It's a great way for others to learn how and what to say to and ask of our public servants.
Ask, and ye shall receive! It was just a simple single paragraph, as follows:

Hello,

I'm writing in response to several word of mouth stories I've encountered, and I'm attempting to obtain a final, clear cut answer so I can answer the question as it arises. What is your offices policy when encountering an indivual carrying an openly seen firearm, regardless of that persons CHL permit status, when no other crimes have been reported, suspected, or witnessing?

I thank you for your time, and sincerely appreciate your response.

Respectfully,

Nate Sutton

I wanted to keep it as short as possible to (hopefully) ensure a response without the normal double talk and legal-ese fluff that normaly comes as an "information overload to shut em up for a while." I really wish I would've saved it as a draft and maybe cleaned it up a little when i was more aware/awake, but it'll do and I'm 100% sure they receive much worse e-mails repeatedly. I wish I would've added "holstered" in there, but I didn't....I'm still awaiting a reply.

nate