Crossing into the open carry world.

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

Re: Crossing into the open carry world.

Post by BB62 »

LowTrunkOzz wrote:Ask, and ye shall receive! It was just a simple single paragraph, as follows:

Hello,

I'm writing in response to several word of mouth stories I've encountered, and I'm attempting to obtain a final, clear cut answer so I can answer the question as it arises. What is your offices policy when encountering an indivual carrying an openly seen firearm, regardless of that persons CHL permit status, when no other crimes have been reported, suspected, or witnessing?

I thank you for your time, and sincerely appreciate your response...

Respectfully,

Nate Sutton

I wanted to keep it as short as possible to (hopefully) ensure a response without the normal double talk and legal-ese fluff that normaly comes as an "information overload to shut em up for a while." I really wish I would've saved it as a draft and maybe cleaned it up a little when i was more aware/awake, but it'll do and I'm 100% sure they receive much worse e-mails repeatedly. I wish I would've added "holstered" in there, but I didn't....I'm still awaiting a reply.

nate
Don't shorten your communication so much that you leave out important things like correct spelling and punctuation. Also, your phrasing needs some work, IMHO.

For example:
offices policy = office's policy (and, is it "the office" which encounters someone?)
indivual - individual
that persons CHL permit status = that person's CHL permit status
witnessing = witnessed
normaly = normally

You will either confirm stereotypes or surprise the reader with your grasp of grammar, spelling, etc. - and those same skills are important for forums too. Whether or not the recipient or reader has read worse ought not to be part of your calculation.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
LowTrunkOzz

Post by LowTrunkOzz »

Holy cow...a simple re-read would've netted me those benefits, and I now realize how accustomed I've come to autocorrect on my phone! Or dependant, rather. My tablet only offers suggestions, it doesn't correct problems for me....I assure you I have a better education than that emailed text betrays....
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

jabeatty wrote:
LowTrunkOzz wrote:a neighboring county's (Defiance) sheriff is vehemently opposed and threatens Inciting Panic and/or Disorderly Conduct charges for anyone carrying.
What an appropriate name for this fair County...
Say, when does this fair county hold its county fair? If the sheriff has really made such threats, we need to have a little get together to test his resolve, methinks.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
LowTrunkOzz

Post by LowTrunkOzz »

Brian D. wrote:
jabeatty wrote:
LowTrunkOzz wrote:a neighboring county's (Defiance) sheriff is vehemently opposed and threatens Inciting Panic and/or Disorderly Conduct charges for anyone carrying.
What an appropriate name for this fair County...
Say, when does this fair county hold its county fair? If the sheriff has really made such threats, we need to have a little get together to test his resolve, methinks.

Last week!

nate
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

D'oh!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
LowTrunkOzz

Post by LowTrunkOzz »

I have received a reply from Defiance City Chief of Police Tobias and without posting the entire text I'll say he's in no way against open carry. He gave me the standard "if you're asked to leave, you must. If you're in a posted place, you'll be arrested" but other than that it was a good email "for" our side. Those arrests would be filed for trespassing, not open carry. He said he and his officers will extend respect and courtesy if they're called to respond to someone with a gun (holstered), and would greatly appreciate the same to make it a quick case of "carry on." I like this guy.

I'm still waiting for the email from the sheriff of that county.

nate
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

When and if you get it, feel free to post every single letter of the SHERIFF's response. :twisted: :mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
BB62

Post by BB62 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:When and if you get it, feel free to post every single letter of the SHERIFF's response. :twisted: :mrgreen:
LowTrunkOzz,

IF an appropriate amount of time has passed, and you have still not received a reply from the Sheriff, send him something like the following:

"Dear Sheriff No-Response,

It has been nearly x weeks since I wrote an e-mail to you on August 27 on the subject of the open carry of firearms. I'm not sure whether or not you received the message, received the message and are working on a response, or received the message and chose not to reply. If you would, please respond my prior request, and thanks in advance."

If you have GOOD, SOLID evidence that he's ignoring you, you can add the following, in your next letter, or a subsequent one, copied to the records officer/department:

"I previously chose to communicate with you conversationally via e-mail as an alternative to filing a voluminous public records request to review departmental training materials, attendance records, and policies regarding the legality of citizens openly carrying firearms, and the appropriate officer response (if any) to such an act. This would be done, in part, to measure your department's compliance with OPOTA coursework, as taught by members of the Ohio Attorney General's office, as well as the training given your officers with respect to ORC 9.68, (I don't have them in front of me, so... ORC xx for Inducing Panic, ORC xx for Disorderly Conduct, and ORC xx for Requirement to Identify (which prob not the right name, but...).

I'm disappointed that you have chosen not to respond, so please consider this e-mail an official public records request. I look forward to a timely and complete response in accordance with Ohio's Public Records law. I can be reached at xxx-xxxx for questions and clarification.

Your buddy,
Nate"

I'm confident THAT will get a response. :twisted:
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Anyone that thinks I can write a letter has never seen one of BB62's record requests.

:shock:

The REQUEST is 2 miles long, and not a frivolous request in the bunch!
MyWifeSaidYes
BB62

Post by BB62 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Anyone that thinks I can write a letter has never seen one of BB62's record requests.

:shock:

The REQUEST is 2 miles long, and not a frivolous request in the bunch!
Who, little old me? :shock:

Your letters rock!

Got Freedom?