Open Carry walk in Massillon this Saturday

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Open Carry walk in Massillon this Saturday

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about this here in the forum before now, but I read in yesterday's paper that Northeast Ohio Carry (http://www.neoopencarry.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is planning an open carry walk in Massillon on Saturday 7/27 starting at noon in the Buffalo Wild Wings parking lot. More info in an article at the IndieOnline website. Looks like they are also planning a walk in Canton on Saturday August 17th.

Is anyone here familiar with this group? Anyone here planning on attending either event?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Re: Open Carry walk in Massillon this Saturday

Post by JediSkipdogg »

You haven't seen anything because to post something like that one needs approval on here and I haven't seen the subject in charge of NEOC request the walk to be posted.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm sorry, was I wrong to post about it like I did?

I'm not trying to advocate for it or to get OFCC to advocate for it, I'm genuinely curious about the group and the event and if any OFCC folks are likely to be there. Is that verboten?
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I'll let someone else chastise you. LOL

The group seems OK and the leader seems to put up a good stand in that he won't push the issue to far with authority and will handle it outside of the walk. So he keeps a level head to avoid arrest and giving the group a bad name. He also provides literature to hand out educating people on gun ownership and the legality of open carry. If he posted here more often, I'd have no problem approving his walks, but I'm just one person (without approval power yet, lol)

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Yeah, they are doing good work.

I went up to Youngstown for a walk with them in May (photo above). We had more people, but nobody thought to get a picture before people started leaving.
MyWifeSaidYes
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

JustaShooter wrote:I'm sorry, was I wrong to post about it like I did?
No, you're fine. You reported on a news article about the event. That's kosher.

We do ask that folks using the forum to try and RECRUIT for their event get permission. That's different.

All that said, the group in question is, as others have already mentioned, pretty darn good and their chief is very level-headed. I admire what they are doing for the pro-2A movement. I certainly hope he asks for permission to promote his 8/17 event hereon. I'm certain that a lot of OFCC folks, me included, would attend.

While we are Ohioans for Concealed Carry we try to take a broader view of gun rights in general. In fact, HB 203 has some good stuff for open carriers in it and is very high on our legislative priority list.

Whoever does attend this Saturday's walk (I'm booked, too short of notice for me) please post here how it goes.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Morne wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:I'm sorry, was I wrong to post about it like I did?
No, you're fine. You reported on a news article about the event. That's kosher.

We do ask that folks using the forum to try and RECRUIT for their event get permission. That's different.
I'm glad what I did was within the rules - to be honest I could not see it how it would have been wrong but I know sometimes rules don't make sense from the outside. Thanks for clarifying that recruiting (or presumably promoting) would require permission, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
All that said, the group in question is, as others have already mentioned, pretty darn good and their chief is very level-headed. I admire what they are doing for the pro-2A movement. I certainly hope he asks for permission to promote his 8/17 event hereon. I'm certain that a lot of OFCC folks, me included, would attend.

While we are Ohioans for Concealed Carry we try to take a broader view of gun rights in general. In fact, HB 203 has some good stuff for open carriers in it and is very high on our legislative priority list.

Whoever does attend this Saturday's walk (I'm booked, too short of notice for me) please post here how it goes.
Thanks for the information on the group, after hearing positive things about them my wife and I are going to try to participate (though we won't be able to meet them at the starting point we are going to try to meet up with them along the way).

If it does work out that we can do so, I'll be sure to post a followup.
NRA Life Member

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JustaShooter wrote:I'm glad what I did was within the rules - to be honest I could not see it how it would have been wrong but I know sometimes rules don't make sense from the outside.
I think the requirement for prior consent in organizing such events through OFCC forums is too prevent OFCC from becoming involved in extreme activities which are not under the control of the leadership. Not all such events are "extreme," but given the opportunity and the involvement of the right people, they could become like that. That said, the gun who runs NEO Carry seems very reasonable. He just posts most of his notices in OCDO, which is probably the best place to post them, anyway.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Werz wrote:He just posts most of his notices in OCDO
I know this doesn't matter a bit to the discussion at hand, but it's kind of the way I am - I'm trying to unravel the acronym OCDO. I can get Open Carry <something starting with D> Organization or if specific to the Ohio section of the website, Open Carry <something starting with D> Ohio, but I just can't seem to get that <something starting with D> part figured out... :?
NRA Life Member

mreising

Post by mreising »

Just a comment: it seems that (most?/all?/some?) Buffalo Wild Wings are posted against carry based on threads and comments in the Criminal Protection Zone section. The march may be starting from one but I hope that is not the lunch stop for the attendees; no sense giving them money unless it is confirmed that this one is pro-2A.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Somehow, I doubt this group would forget to check something like that when arranging the lunch stop especially since there are other options in downtown Massillon.
NRA Life Member

pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Open Carry Dot Org. :wink:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:Open Carry Dot Org. :wink:
Doh! :oops:
NRA Life Member

JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

pirateguy191 wrote:Open Carry Dot Org. :wink:
Because OC just wasn't cool enough. :roll:

So we would be OFCCDO or OCCWDO. :lol:

Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Small town. Has anyone alerted the news media, some of wehom do not work the weekends?