Kicked out of Books & co on fourth of July

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mattw

Kicked out of Books & co on fourth of July

Post by Mattw »

So I stopped into Books & Co on the Fourth of July with my Father and Brother as we were waiting for fireworks to start down in beavercreek and had a few hours to kill. I was minding my own business in the bargain section had a couple of books in my hands and was just about to check out (found this really nifty Metallica book I wanted....) I was approached by The Greene's security and told I had a bunch of complaints filed against me and I had to leave. Now all i did was browse books in one tiny area and ask a single question in regards to why a book was priced differently twice.

I of course complied and left after the guard told me i couldn't just cover up and checkout then leave as I don't want to get arrested. But still. On the fourth of july?? I've open carried at the Greene numerous times and never had this issue, even in that particular store. But the Fourth. Nope... Patriotism is dead

Edit: Wanted to add before people start ripping into me again as if i did something wrong.

1. I was on my BEST behavior the entire time
2. I used Tact and Decorum the entire time
3. I offered to cover up and checkout then leave (no go on cover up because they knew i had a gun??)
4. I never once raised my voice or got "{inappropriate language}" with anyone

Don't assume my ranting here is directly correlated to how I acted in person. I follow the law. I don't have to like the law.
Last edited by Mattw on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
OSU eternal fan
S&W M&P 9mm Pro Series w/ Tritium sights
Tweed Ring

Re: Kicked out of Books & co on fourth of July

Post by Tweed Ring »

Many years ago, English citizens fought a revolutionary war, in part, to secure private property rights in this country.

Their business - their rules. Yes, even on July 4th.
Mattw

Post by Mattw »

Well its like I said. I understand their rights and followed the rules. I just feel that on the fourth of July. Of alllllll days that this could have happened
NRA Life Member
OSU eternal fan
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I get the irony. The sad, sad irony.
MyWifeSaidYes
Michael

Post by Michael »

Did they tell you to leave just Books & Co., or The Greene altogether?
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
Mattw

Post by Mattw »

They said books and co.
NRA Life Member
OSU eternal fan
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Did you leave them a No Gun, No Money card?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Mattw

Post by Mattw »

I'm not sure if thats an actual thing or not... But i handed the security guard the 68 dollars worth of books i was about to purchase. Told him those were for him. And walked out
NRA Life Member
OSU eternal fan
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

http://secure.ohioccw.org/store/p/38-No ... 25-pk.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
farblue

Post by farblue »

Mattw wrote:I was approached by The Greene's security and told I had a bunch of complaints filed against me and I had to leave.
I know it would have been adding fuel to the fire, but I would have loved to ask the security guy to show me the complaints he had on file. :roll:

Sad, but as others have said, it's their right to refuse you service.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein
Mattw

Post by Mattw »

Right,

I'm usually not one to stir up trouble but I was fairly irked that i was being kicked out on the fourth of july. I think the people should be educated that im not some criminal instead of assuming that because im 6'7 and armed that im some bad guy from the movies.
NRA Life Member
OSU eternal fan
xenos

Post by xenos »

Valuable lesson learned. Stay away from The Greene because no good will ever come of that place.
Let every single step taken in this most intricate affair, be upon the defensive. God Forbid that we should give your enemies the opportunity to saying justly that we have brought a civil war upon ourselves, by the smallest offensive action. ~ William Emerson
farblue

Post by farblue »

Mattw wrote:Right,

I'm usually not one to stir up trouble but I was fairly irked that i was being kicked out on the fourth of july. I think the people should be educated that im not some criminal instead of assuming that because im 6'7 and armed that im some bad guy from the movies.
There are, and always will be, people that are "afraid" of firearms. It's funny (in a tragic way) that those who seek to prevent law abiding citizens from carrying firearms seem totally oblivious to the fact that they are, in all likelihood, crossing paths with criminals that are carrying on a regular basis.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein
A_F

Post by A_F »

Whats really a shame is all the pictures and 'freedom baby yeah!' posts on facebook on the 4th. the next day its back to anti 2a business as usual.
markallen

Post by markallen »

Isn't it funny that a property owner doesn't have to serve, or can ask me to leave because I am carrying a gun, But they can be sued, and prosecuted by the government, because they refuse to bake a cake, or make flower arrangements for gay/ lesbian couples.

The irony.

:? :? :?
If you lived in the Dark Ages, and you were a catapult operator, I bet the most common question people would ask is, " Can you make it shoot farther?" "No I'm sorry. That's as far as it shoots." http://www.sendoutcards.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;