Open Carry at Red, White & Kaboom (Fairfield)

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jbrewer8

Open Carry at Red, White & Kaboom (Fairfield)

Post by jbrewer8 »

I'm not normally an open carrier, but chose to do so simply because it was Independence Day. I took the family to the Fairfield fireworks show at a city park (Harbin Park). It was virtually without incident.

Now, I was carrying in my normal Crossbreed style holster, so while I had my shirt tucked in, my firearm wasn't quite as obvious as an OWB holster. That being said, while I was taking a picture of the family, a very nice woman, who could not have missed the fact I was carrying, came up and asked if I wanted her to take a picture of us all. I took her offer, so we did get an entire family picture. Unfortunately, in the picture you can't see my gun, so I can't send the pic to Emily Miller. Oh well.

Here's the interesting/funny/stupid part.

I was carrying a spare magazine in the pocket of my cargo shorts. While waiting for the fireworks to start, my oldest son and I were tossing a baseball, like many other people there. As we were getting back to the car after the fireworks, I noticed the magazine was missing. :oops: Oops. It was far too crowded and we were parked way too far away for me to go back right then, also I wasn't 100% sure I hadn't removed it from my pocket and put it in my wife's purse so I wouldn't lose it. I didn't.

The next morning, we had some errands to run so I thought I would swing by the park and check the area. While I was looking, a guy with his kid & dog came up and asked what I was looking for, they were there to see what other people may have left behind. I told him and after an 'Oh S***' he laughed and helped me look around a little. Just as I was about to give up, a city truck drove up and asked me the same thing. They had it! Luckily, it didn't sit out in the rain all night either.

He had me describe it, but he did say it was the first magazine they had found after an event, but he didn't seem at all surprised or concerned about it.

Now, I don't have a problem if I get flamed about not securing the magazine, I deserve it, but I was surprised at the lack of notice in a large gathering like this. Like I said, I don't normally open carry, but this may help get me to open carry a little more often.
"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government, but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Walther P99c QA
Browning Challenger
Mossberg 500 .12
Mossberg 500 .20
Brian D.

Re: Open Carry at Red, White & Kaboom (Fairfield)

Post by Brian D. »

Buy a good magazine pouch if you don't want this to happen again. Even if the magazine has no sharp edges (seems like most of mine do) you'll feel it there on your hip, and likely have a sense of it coming loose before it falls out. Plus, it's quicker and easier to access should the need ever arise.

Strangely, when open carrying I've had people ask more questions about the magazine(s) than the gun on my hip. Recently a guy in the barber shop asked why I was carrying a pistol and "two taser things". The barber got a laugh because that customer had long claimed to be an avid firearms owner. :)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jbrewer8

Re: Open Carry at Red, White & Kaboom (Fairfield)

Post by jbrewer8 »

Gleedaniel13 wrote:
Strangely, when open carrying I've had people ask more questions about the magazine(s) than the gun on my hip. Recently a guy in the barber shop asked why I was carrying a pistol and "two taser things". The barber got a laugh because that customer had long claimed to be an avid firearms owner.
Here on our place, we did not allow any people to carry handgun in public display unless they are on authority. Mostly, police and military carry them in public. I was surprised to know that it is okay in your place.
It was a public park and, as far as I can tell, a city run event. They cannot ban firearms from an event like this. If it's a private event on private property, that's different.
"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government, but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Walther P99c QA
Browning Challenger
Mossberg 500 .12
Mossberg 500 .20