Canton: OCer refuses to leave, gets trespass charge

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Canton: OCer refuses to leave, gets trespass charge

Post by gaptrick »

I recall Charben's tag line about not being fully armed without knowing the laws of Ohio regarding carry. This guy seemed to know the could's, but didn't know the couldn'ts.

Can stupid be fixed? I think not...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

gaptrick wrote:I recall Charben's tag line
Who?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I think he's talking about this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZpBUE30atc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
hutsona

Post by hutsona »

Story didn't say if the store was posted. If not, then what? So I'm CCing (or OCing) in a place where that's legal and someone get scared, and so then I have to leave? :? No legal perspective here, just trying to apply common sense - maybe not appropriate. This guy definitely didn't help the "cause" - but still...
...learning new things every day!
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

hutsona wrote:Story didn't say if the store was posted. If not, then what? So I'm CCing (or OCing) in a place where that's legal and someone get scared, and so then I have to leave? :? No legal perspective here, just trying to apply common sense - maybe not appropriate. This guy definitely didn't help the "cause" - but still...
If the store employees tell you to leave, you must leave.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
hutsona

Post by hutsona »

jabeatty wrote:
hutsona wrote:Story didn't say if the store was posted. If not, then what? So I'm CCing (or OCing) in a place where that's legal and someone get scared, and so then I have to leave? :? No legal perspective here, just trying to apply common sense - maybe not appropriate. This guy definitely didn't help the "cause" - but still...
If the store employees tell you to leave, you must leave.
You are right, of course. Don't want to stay where we're not wanted anyway. I guess the whole "I'm scared" thing is on my last nerve. :roll:
...learning new things every day!
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

hutsona wrote:You are right, of course. Don't want to stay where we're not wanted anyway. I guess the whole "I'm scared" thing is on my last nerve. :roll:
I dunno, I rarely run into anyone who is "scared". We mostly hear that sort of nonsense from the media.

However, if the owner or an employee asks, or tells, you to leave, then you leave. Private property is one of the foundations of our republic.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

TunnelRat wrote:
hutsona wrote:You are right, of course. Don't want to stay where we're not wanted anyway. I guess the whole "I'm scared" thing is on my last nerve. :roll:
I dunno, I rarely run into anyone who is "scared". We mostly hear that sort of nonsense from the media.
Or police officers trying to justify an inducing panic argument.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
KimberTLE2

Post by KimberTLE2 »

I dont know how I Missed this but. The store in question is not posted. I have been in there a lot, I live 2 minutes from the place. I also would NEVER think of going there with out my gun. There are several low income housing projects across the road and a certain group of people are always over in the shopping plaza trying to stir up trouble. As for the person being charged he the only thing I see he did wrong was not leave. You guys can not get all head up about someone saying you can't carry a gun and then say this guy shouldn't have been wearing a mask.
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

If you walk into a store and have a T-Shirt on and it has a Dinosaur on it and the Store Manager doesn't like Dinosaurs comes up and says "sir, you have a dinosaur on you're shirt you need to leave its against our policy to permit people that like dinosaurs"

Sounds ridiculous, however they are an agent of the property owner. . If they want to ban you based upon the fact you have a dinosaur on you're shirt, you're carrying or you're FOR eating Vegetables.. Those are all reason enough to ask you to leave, even though equally silly in my opinion.

Unfortunately leave, means you have to take you're mulah $$ somewhere else.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Buckeyenomad

Post by Buckeyenomad »

I'm still amazed at this guys lack of judgement