An Older Argument for Open Carry

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tweed Ring

An Older Argument for Open Carry

Post by Tweed Ring »

An Older Argument for Open Carry, circa 2009:

From Free Republic

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-blo ... 4698/posts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BobK

Re: An Older Argument for Open Carry

Post by BobK »

Nice article.

With the ongoing open carry debate in Texas, one of the arguments raised is "those open-carriers just want a different form of carry for just for convenience purposes". Glad to see some alternative arguments presented.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I do not open carry, having done it in the past in some really sketchy places. But, I think the author made some practical, non-emotionally driven arguments for his position.
rdf37

Post by rdf37 »

Wow!!! That was a very good post. I am still waiting for my interview to get my conceal & carry. The whole reason I started getting guns again was because of a close call my wife and I had while walking our do just a block away from our house early one morning before work. I immediatly bought gun and that was three months ago. I did not realize the time it was going to take to get conceal and carry permit. Nor did I realize open carry was legal until 2 months ago. SO I do open carry on a few occassions when close to home and out walking about. I have been seen buy some I know and they don't understand even though are gun supporters. I do not argue with them other than stating it is legal and my right and my whole purpose of the gun is to protect my family and myself. This writing could come in handy if I ever decide to try to sway them. Thank you very much for this post

rdf37
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

rdf37 wrote:I am still waiting for my interview to get my conceal & carry.
Do you reside in Ohio? What is this interview of which you speak? When you refer to your "conceal & carry" are you thinking of an Ohio license or some sort of firearm/holster combination?
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

That was a good article. Thank you for sharing!
BB62

Post by BB62 »

rdf37 wrote:...I am still waiting for my interview to get my conceal & carry...
Who issues a "conceal and carry permit"? Not Ohio...

And what's this interview you've spoken of?
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

rdf37 wrote:Wow!!! That was a very good post. I am still waiting for my interview to get my conceal & carry. The whole reason I started getting guns again was because of a close call my wife and I had while walking our do just a block away from our house early one morning before work. I immediatly bought gun and that was three months ago. I did not realize the time it was going to take to get conceal and carry permit. Nor did I realize open carry was legal until 2 months ago. SO I do open carry on a few occassions when close to home and out walking about. I have been seen buy some I know and they don't understand even though are gun supporters. I do not argue with them other than stating it is legal and my right and my whole purpose of the gun is to protect my family and myself. This writing could come in handy if I ever decide to try to sway them. Thank you very much for this post

rdf37
What Sheriff is requiring an "interview"?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
soldier24

Post by soldier24 »

WOW, that was an awesome wright up. I loved it and passed it around to a few friends.
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
--------------------------
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
rdf37

Post by rdf37 »

That is what they call it in preble county now. it is the finger printing and turning inthe paperwork and paying the 67$. They call it an interview but it is just turning all things needed in and then the backround check

Rdf37
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Well written. I will disagree with one of his premises though. That is the fact that carrying concealed imparts: "...my ‘teeth’ are hidden, and thus of no real deterrent value." Crooks is dumb, but they're very, very clever. Whether consciously or subconsciously they read body language - quite well. And they mark with a pretty good degree of accuracy who are - and are not - victims on the hoof. Generally an armed individual projects a certain "aura," if you will, that says "I am not a victim," without even being aware of it.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.