Handgun Open Carry. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you s

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Handgun Open Carry. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you s

Post by TunnelRat »

RecoilWeb.com wrote:Handgun Open Carry. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should…

Article by David Reeder

As RECOIL Editor Iain Harrison mentioned last week, I spent three days in Atlanta at the 2013 Blade Show, held every year at the Cobb Galleria. It was a great show and later this week I’m going to be detailing not just the “Living Ready” themed show, complete with numerous knife culture celebrities, but also several new blades and other pieces of kit.

First, however, I will rant about something else entirely – it begins with the knucklehead sighting that prompted me to vent on Facebook:

…because nothing says bad butt like open carrying your Taurus in a Fobus holster wearing a t-shirt with the sleeves ripped off…
More here...

Have fun, guys... 8)
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
BB62

Re: Handgun Open Carry. Just because you can, doesn’t mean y

Post by BB62 »

The author says "...There are reasons to open carry, and places where it is arguably okay to do it, but they are few and far between..." A real OCer! :roll: :roll:

TR, you ought to know better, and IMHO ought to be a better representative of OFCC by not posting such trash. It's needless flame-fanning from a person in a position of influence with an organization that has a flimsy record regarding OC. This is precisely the kind of "discussion" that ought to be banned from this forum.

One who doesn't like it or understand the reasoning behind doing it is unlikely to be enlightened or persuaded by "discussions" like what you seem to want to instigate. All that is said in the linked article has been said before here many times over, and to what end? Nothing worthwhile.

If one doesn't like it, then don't do it. Period.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Hmmm..I walked in to Blanchester UDF yesterday before church and there was a Brotherhood MC patched enforcer in line OCing a revolver in the small of his back....I'm pretty sure he actually was a bad a**.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

BB - IIRC TR is pro - now others on the other hand (me) not so much, but I keep my opinion to myself (we have to do that now that we are in a position as such, we are not allow to have personalities or opinions anymore, we gave that up when we signed up to volunteer our time to help our collective cause).

I think in this case you are pointing fingers at the wrong guy.
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

BB62......I don't see anywhere in TR's post that he gave any kind of opinion one way or the other on OC.....he just said to have fun... :shock:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Tunnelrat believes in having fun. This we should all be against or... wait.. ! ! :roll:
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The author would have done a service imho if he had limited himself to criticizing the bad carry gear choices some folks make. Usually it's out of frugality/tightwaddedness** other times it's ignorance that better options are indeed available. This problem isn't limited to open carriers, it's just that it's easier to spot a cheapskate OC'er than CC'er. :mrgreen:

**Yeah I don't think that's a word either, but it sounds good.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Brian D. wrote:The author would have done a service imho if he had limited himself to criticizing the bad carry gear choices some folks make. Usually it's out of frugality/tightwaddedness** other times it's ignorance that better options are indeed available. This problem isn't limited to open carriers, it's just that it's easier to spot a cheapskate OC'er than CC'er.
I have found that a major part of advanced training is the realization that my gear isn't adequate for the task. I've had to make changes in the handgun I carry, in my holster, mag carrier, belt--even my glasses!

There seems to be some differences of opinion amongst the various professional instructors the article cites. However, I could not fail to notice how many succumbed to the temptation to bloviate. Perhaps that's a natural failing of instructors...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Ohio...

...Shall-issue concealed carry: Legal since 2004.

...Open carry: Legal since 1803.

We were here first, bit-chez!

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Ohio...

...Shall-issue concealed carry: Legal since 2004.

...Open carry: Legal since 1803.

We were here first, bit-chez!

:mrgreen:

Your one old dude.... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

TunnelRat wrote:There seems to be some differences of opinion amongst the various professional instructors the article cites. However, I could not fail to notice how many succumbed to the temptation to bloviate. Perhaps that's a natural failing of instructors...
I suspect that Internet commentary by tactical instructors will eventually devolve to what I used to see on Usenet in rec.martial-arts.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Werz wrote:I suspect that Internet commentary by tactical instructors will eventually devolve to what I used to see on Usenet in rec.martial-arts.
"Eventually"...? :|
TunnelRat

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ I hope that they'd be more professional than that, these days. :|
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

TSiWRX wrote:^ I hope that they'd be more professional than that, these days. :|
I would like to agree. Unfortunately, the original article suggests otherwise.

Rather than just say, "I think it's wrong, so don't do it" (with very little evidence to support that personal opinion) I would like to have heard some suggestions for those who choose to open-carry. There was indeed the suggestion to carry forward of the hip bone (awkward), the need to have some sort of retention device on the holster, and the caution for increased situational awareness. Other than that, the word seemed to be: "It's just not done".

I can remember when we used to say, "It's a free country", and "Here, let me help you". Now I mostly hear variations of "It's wrong; you can't do that".
TunnelRat

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ I see where you're coming from.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio